back to article Are smart safes secure? Not after we've USB'd them, say infosec bods

Vulnerabilities in “intelligent cash safe service” Brink's CompuSafe's cash management produces will be demonstrated at the Def Con hacker conference in Las Vegas next week. Brink's CompuSafe offers a “smart safe as a service” technology to major retailers and fast food franchises. This smart safe can communicate how much …

1. Mike Moyle
    Pirate

"The researchers stress that the presentation is about 'exposing flaws in the Brink’s Compusafe to improve security and allow pen-testers to demonstrate these flaws to their customers.'

"Please use this information responsibly, they add."

Oh, I will.

I surely, surely will...

2. Tomato42
    Facepalm

Windows

Those safes are running Windows!

1. Fatman
      Joke

Re: Windows

<quote>Those safes are running Windows!</quote>

What the fuck did you expect??? A SECURE operating system???

1. Fraggle850

Ho Ho Ho, not even a current version of Windows but XP! Let me guess, they outsourced the coding to some bloke in China via freelancer.com for tuppence ha'penny an hour.

1. Michael Habel

Ho Ho Ho, not even a current version of Windows but XP! Let me guess, they outsourced the coding to some bloke in China via freelancer.com for tuppence ha'penny an hour.

This wouldn't be the same XP POS Edition, that's still in support until 2019 would it?!

2. Fungus Bob
      Coat

Yep, this is what happens when you can open Windows on a safe from the outside....

3. ChrisC Silver badge

Did someone at Brinks see a copy of XP being booted into safe mode and get the wrong end of the stick...

3. JP19

I wish I could say

I find this unbelievable but I don't. When it comes to embedded computers idiocy of monumental proportions is not uncommon.

4. Andrew Tyler 1

Waiting for...

...the official memo released by Brinks advising customers to squeeze a tube of super glue into the USB port. Or more likely, Brinks Secur-O-USB Brand Sealant, which is the same thing but costs $500 an ounce and requires a highly trained service technician to apply.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Waiting for...

Don't be so crude! It's hot glue that's the professional infosec boffins' tool of choice in such sensitive operations, or, failing that, a binary* epoxy.

...so... doubtless Brinks Secur-O-USB Brand Sealant will indeed be superglue or thermite or something else abjectly unfit for purpose... just like their software... and their hardware...

*natch

5. The Original Steve

Unbelievable

As much as I may get slated for saying it, I'm not shocked - or even object - to the use of Windows as the OS for this sort of device. Windows, as well as Linux, BSD, QNX and others would be fine for the job. All of the above platforms are used in embedded environments, including safety critical appliances.

However, using one that is so, so old is unforgivable. On top of that, using vanilla USB is plain stupid, and I'm also assuming that the OS is set to autorun when the stick is inserted. Unless they are doing something clever and essentially bypassing the OS or exploiting a vulnerability then the reason this can be achieved is because of one thing - piss poor configuration.

I don't care what OS they are using, but if it's set to auto-execute anything plugged into the UNIVERSAL serial bus, and the environment is running privileged then it's totally irrelevant what platform the vendor has used. If it's a vuln in the OS then the vendor should be using a patched and up to date platform, and also additional measures should be in place regardless.

Even if you get into the OS and can spin up a shell or GUI, then why should that just give away access to the safe? Maybe after hours and hours, but by getting into the existing / current session should not be enough anyway. The control software should be secure, require all sorts of authentication and authorisation....

It's very easy to slate Microsoft, but actually I fail to see how it's the fault of the OS here. The vendor is exposing USB, on a platform built 14 years ago, without good security best practice once you have a session.

Shit security by shit design.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Unbelievable

But how else are they going to run their diagnostics? They rely on Windows autorunning the on-disk tool and writing its results to the disk so that their engineers can examine the post mortem on their laptop.

I'm making this up, by the way. I'm sure, in reality, they use the USB port in a completely sane way.

6. regadpellagru

@ The Original Steve

Yes, but still, I know no modern OS that still have this huge stupidity set by default: auto-executing of removable storage. Apart from Windows.

OS X doesn't do that, no Unix I've approached (and I've seen quite a bit) do that. QNX, I'll admit I have no idea.

It's totally baffling to see Windows devs never learnt from the 80s viruses on Amiga (and probably other platforms, Atari ST ?), which primary vector was indeed the autoexec of removable storage, aka floppies in this age.

When you haven't learnt from the mistakes of people 30 years past, it's really hopeless.

1. richardcox13

Re: @ The Original Steve

> I know no modern OS that still have this huge stupidity set by default: auto-executing of removable storage. Apart from Windows.

Windows does not either. Unless you are running XP, *and* have not done the simple configuration change. XP always supported that configuration setting so its existence is old (more than a decade) news.

I suspect other commenters here are right: the diagnostics tool is just a thumb drive and relies on the OS to execute it, rather than having a secure mechanism,

But then its not like the safe and lock industry have a history of security by obscurity is it.

2. The Original Steve

Re: @ The Original Steve

Um, Windows doesn't either...

Not since 2001 anyway, when XP was released.

7. razorfishsl

I worked with an electronic safe company on some of their designs.

This is nothing.......

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A safe with a USB port?

What could possibly go wrong? What moron thought up this idea!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A safe with a USB port?

They could have designed it so that the USB port is only accessible when the safe is OPEN.

1. The First Dave

Yeah, 'cos you're never going to need to run diagnostics on a safe that won't open, are you?

1. Lyndon Hills 1

Rather depends if the OS is necessary to open the thing. It might just be an ordinary safe, with some extras bolted on. Does it still work if you unplug it, maybe waiting for the UPS to run down?

2. Mike007 Bronze badge

A safe should "fail secure". If a failure causes the safe to fly open then all I have to do is trigger a failure and I get your cash. If your safe fails secure then if I can trigger a failure all it means is you need to waste a few hours with a drill to get at your cash, which will also encourage you to replace the now-broken safe with a better model.

9. Morrie Wyatt

Is it just me?

Or is anyone else reminded of the Thunderbirds episode "Vault of Death"?

"Nosey" Parker breaking into the electronic Vault at the Bank of England with just a hairpin.

That electronically controlled vaults was a bad idea is something they worked out in 1965!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like