back to article BT broadband in broad-based brownout and TITSUP incidents

If you can't reach a chum in the UK, chances are they've fallen victim to a substantial outage that's hit BT's voice and broadband services. Or a Total Inability To Support Usual Performance (TITSUP) incident. The carrier appears to be suffering from two issues, the first reported to us by Reg readers Colin and Neil who've …

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Unlucky if you live in one of these areas

Just pulled this of PlusNet's site. Warning about areas affected by supplier (BT) upgrade this week. not sure if these are exchanges or broader areas.

What does the work involve?

We've received notifications from our suppliers about maintenance work that is scheduled to take place in the following areas this week. This work typically takes place between midnight and 6am.

27th July

Liverpool Huyton, Manchester Stalybridge, Peartree, Sharrow TE, Tonypandy, Barnstaple Exchange, Coventry Central, Crawley, Glasgow Douglas,London Covent Garden.

28th July

Inverkeithing, Liskard, Liverpool Stoneycroft, London Ashford, London Primrose Hill, Manchester Whitefield, Penzance, Headingley, Morley, Keighley, Chorlton, Congleton, Chislehurst, Marylebone, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Southbank, Cambridge, Chesterfield, Glasgow, London Kingston, Sittingbourne, Redruth, Stalybridge, Aberdeen North, Rhyl, St Helens, Attleborough, Leamore, Stepney, Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, Preston & Peterborough.

29th July

Newbury, Manchester Dial House,

30th July

Scarborough

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unlucky if you live in one of these areas

Well, I'm in Harlow, essex and my broadband went on Saturday about midday. It returned about 11pm same day and disappeared again on Tueday at 9 am. Tracert took 10.5 seconds to reach Plusnet on a Linux box and wouldn't work at all on a Windows box. Lynx worked after a fashion and using Google's IP address allowed us to connect to various websites very, very slowly. Plusnet were busy warbling about routers and filters, but actually tried to do something when we pointed out that we could connect direct to Lynx and Google yesterday and we pointed out to them that the router was telling us that it was fully connected. Connectivity returned for a few minutes per hour until 11pm last night when normal responses were restored. So far today all is normal, we'll see if it lasts. If only customer service people were kept in the true information loop we'd all be a lot happier.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm also in Essex, slightly further from the M25, just after midnight yesterday night my connection dropped for about 30 minutes (which was unusual)... And all of yesterday night it had been sluggish (I've long since dumped the HH3 and BT's dismal DNS servers, so they're not the problem). Speedtest looked like everything was okay, but other sites were suffering.

Same timeouts of traceroute that others describe. Basically looked like routing was fubared.

I tried turning everything off and on again (I'm an IT professional after all), no change, so I gave up and went to bed.

Haven't checked it today.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Similar experience, net went out on Saturday, router said connected, and it was retrieving IP from DNS, but connection was 1ish kb/s

Phone plusnet up, got told they couldn't raise it on circuit, but that BT weren't reporting any faults. Phoned back later to inform them that others in village had identical issues, then got all sorts of bull about there was no faults. And that at best it'd be referee to fault team on Monday and nothing more. Trying internet chat from another location resulted in being given a run around between representatives who couldn't do anything and then the connection magically fixed itself sometime miday Monday

Needless to say not happy with plusnet at the moment for not listening

2. Haku

Must be really bad if they mention Glasgow, Bristol and Manchester twice for maintenance work on the 28th.

2. Elmer Phud

But

But BT run various systems to automatically localise where faults are happening and point to the major cause.

Oh, it's only for engineer's is it?

3. Oddius
    Meh

Windows 10 has started to be pushed/preloaded to people who've reserved a copy which may also account for the issues.

I've been experiencing sites not loading properly if at all since around 1130AM yesterday which is around the time a W10 folder was created on my C: drive. Speed tests show no problem seeing normal speeds, and to boot my exchange is listed as having issues.

1. spib.burfank

Nah, plenty of bandwidth. And for once it's not the usual BT DNS snafu. This one seems to be a routing problem that's now into its second day.

I wonder at what point BT just give up and turn the whole network off and on again?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They would reboot, but they are still on hold waiting to get through.

4. Bonce

Ahhhh

Thank god it's not just me. I'm in Cambridge and I've been suffering from things just not loading properly on some addresses but others being perfect - all yesterday and still today.

It just goes to show how you don't really appreciate things "just working" until they stop. It's making my cloud-based work very frustrating!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahhhh

"It just goes to show how you don't really appreciate things "just working" until they stop. It's making my cloud-based work very frustrating!"

and that is why Cloud is fucking stupid!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone tell me

Where to download the internet so I can use it offline while this work is ongoing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can someone tell me

Where to download the internet so I can use it offline while this work is ongoing?

Try sex.com - it has everything I need :-)

6. Zola

Bt have finally admitted there is a problem

"Wed 29/07/2015 at 10:26

BT customers are having trouble loading webpages"

All other service incidents prior to this are unrelated.

And it's not Windows 10 - I turned that shit off, have not seen any unexpected downloads on my SNMP graphs, and bandwidth is not the issue. It's packet loss or a routing issue (secure/encrypted connections seem to fair the worst - https, rsync over ssh etc. both failing).

1. Tascam Holiday
      Black Helicopters

Re: Bt have finally admitted there is a problem

Mainly encrypted traffic affected eh? I guess one of GCHQ's decrypto taps has thrown a wobbly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And it's not Windows 10 - I turned that shit off,"

Hmm. So your deicsion to not download Windows 10 must have reduced the amount of W10 downloads going on in the UK today by, what, 30%, 40%?

1. Zola

> Hmm. So your deicsion to not download Windows 10 must have reduced the amount of W10 downloads going on in the UK today by, what, 30%, 40%?

Obviously not, but Windows 10 background downloading is being claimed as a potential cause and I'm just saying that's not the case with me. Other users downloading Windows 10 could be a factor, as in contention issues, but not at 3-4am and besides bandwidth isn't even a issue, you could have 30Mb+ bandwidth but still can't connect to a website. It's entirely down to packet loss/routing issues within the BT network.

Oh, and BT have now removed the status announcement from their status page even though the problem is ongoing.

3. Lewis Burgess

I wish people would stop blaming Windows 10 for this! It started before it was released/Patch Tuesday.

7. zebthecat

It gets better...

...My home connection went iffy last night and still is this morning,

I called BTs help line to be informed that their fault recording system is down for "maintenance" and could I call back in 2-3 hours.

Useless planks!

8. Zola

BT forum thread - currently 19 pages and growing rapidly.

9. Steve Goodey
    FAIL

Deluded.

Wouldn't be so bad if the status page I tried mentions the problem. It says everything's hunky dory. At least the apology and goodwill payment will be some consolation!!!!

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. John Sanders
    Megaphone

BT and SMTP

Fix your bloody SMTP issues BT!!!

host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[65.20.0.49] just doesn't work.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Small Number of customers

AKA Everyone then

13. Lewis Burgess

50p says that a firmware update has caused this. It's been getting gradually worse as the update is pushed out to more routers.

Been getting progressively worse since Saturday for me.

Typical service for me - tell BT about the problem... Wait for them to deny it... Repeat for a significant amount of time; Finally they'll start joining up the stacks of reports in to a single incident and escalate it to someone who has a clue.

1. Zola

> 50p says that a firmware update has caused this. It's been getting gradually worse as the update is pushed out to more routers.

I use my own router/modem (Netgear DGND4000) and have never connected the supplied HomeHub to my line, so I highly doubt this is a HomeHub-specific issue - the problems are all upstream.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brownout?

I saw the word "brownout" in the title and half wondered if the story would be about a burst sewer flooding network equipment.

Guess I've been reading the Register too long... :-/

15. jason 7

Add Norwich to the list.

Hohum.

16. Ebec
    FAIL

18 months and still not fixed

I first reported my fault with BT broadband on 11/1/2014 and its still not working

every 3 or so months they fix it and i get 40/10 mb , but always on the 11th day after the fix ,

IT BREAKS AGAIN so i have to start the whole thing again

yet onebill can chase me to the point of going insane or cut my line off in the middle of tech non-support trying to fix it

it's gotten to the point i can't even use my own domain servers to run my emails or websites and all my emails to bt have to be done via googlemail

i've even had to email them links to wikis explaining about 505 errors for their own tap3 testing server as they were try to saying that the error on my pc ( until they admitted they had known the server was broken and wouldn't be fixed for 5 weeks)

They are the worse company in the uk if not the planet

1. Zola

Re: 18 months and still not fixed

Only one question - why are you still with them?

17. JakeMS
    Mushroom

IPv6 issues anyone?

So.. earlier in July BT mentioned they were starting to test IPv6 on a limited number of their employees...

I wonder if this issue could be related? Maybe they are trying to "silently" roll IPv6 to various exchanges (Though not activating for customers) without anyone noticing ready to gear up for full roll out?

Perhaps somehow IPv4 got switched off somewhere down the line on a few exchanges, and with IPv6 also being off.. well.. no connection..

Considering the distances between the various reported fault locations its unlikely to be physical hardware/cabling failure issues.

Just a theory though..

(Personally, I cannot wait for IPv6.. I will no longer have to mess around with configuring tunnels on my devices to ensure various servers work on IPv6 properly or not.. I just hope they give us a proper ::/64 block.. but I somehow doubt it.)

18. Ebec

3 reasons :

1: virgin can't seem to find my address even when i tell them their s box outside my shop and give them its number

2: when i had / was going to have virgin at home , i was on a call arranging my install date and as i was doing that , they left a message cancelling my install date and i hadn't even finished the call yet booking it

3:its a cable in the road or a roadside cab fault and as even one where i am piggy backs off openreach/(bt's lines) i have no choice unless someone can give me an idea

i've even thought of trying to use 4g , but you can't get a static ip from them

19. John Crisp

Same issue for employee at home in Chelmsford on Tuesday.

Own router. Seemed to be a routing issue. Pings at 1sec seemed ok but huge packet loss if I tried 0.01 sec. Traceroutes disappeared into the ether.

She gave up and went to the office 20 miles away, and BT, but ok.

They had apparently been noticing similar issues for a few days but assumed it was a.n.other problem.

Joy

20. Zola

Now seems to be fixed

Sometime between midnight and 1am.

There never was a public acknowledgment of the service issue in the 48 hours it lasted, resulting in BT customers up and down the country continuing to contact India for "help" only to be told there isn't a problem and it must be their router/landline etc., wasting an hour or more of each customers valuable time.

I genuinely wonder if the lack of public acknowledgment is because of the new regulation that allows in-contract customers to walk away without paying a penny if they fail to receive an adequate service. I guess we'll know the next time there's a prolonged outage - will BT once again lie to and dick their paying customers around by treating them with contempt, or will they behave like a reputable business? I do hope Ofcom are watching...

1. Tom -1

Re: Now seems to be fixed

This hit me in Congleton (closer to the Potts than to Manchester) for a few hours. At first only for connection to some USA and France sites, later for everywhere. I reckoned there was no point in calling BT because they appear to have a policy of not providing decent response (BT, my UK ISP, is a stark contrast with Telefonica, my ISP in Spain when I'm there, who provide excellent response). It ceased to be a problem after a few (more than 4, less than 11) hours.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like