back to article Intel tests definition of insanity with (leaked) typoslab Skylake CPUs

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. And it appears Intel is testing that definition – if these internal Intel Powerpoint slides that made their way to a blog called FanlessTech this month are the real thing. The slides suggest that Intel is still plugging …

1. John H Woods Silver badge

The definition of insanity ...

... might well be making the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results --- but nearly every form of success other than 'striking it lucky' comes from trying things again and again until they work - whether it's creating and marketing products, kung fu or musical performance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The definition of insanity ...

Quite so - and at the least Intel chipping away in the portable space means ARM can't rest on its laurels, so whatever device I do buy is more awesomer.

2. DropBear

The quoted definition is a horribly poor one anyway - it only applies if everything concerned is deterministically influenced solely by the user input and nothing else; if any uncontrolled variables are present (yeah, welcome to the Real World) the definition of insanity would be rather to expect the same thing to happen every time...

1. John H Woods Silver badge

"The quoted definition is a horribly poor one anyway" -- DropBear

Yeah, it's a particular bugbear of mine. At least it wasn't mis-attributed to Einstein, which is the usual state of affairs with this (mis)quotation. It actually seems to have come from an Narcotics Anonymous pamphlet (page 11 [25 of 68] of this pdf) which contains the more sensible "repeating the same mistakes ..."

Anyway, every time I see it, I have to complain: it's right up there with "everything happens for a reason" and "everyone's entitled to their opinion." I keep thinking there should be a pithy retort along the lines of "you clearly can't tell your perseverance from your perseveration" but I'm still looking for something effective.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ARM 14nm on the horizon, Intel should be scared.

2. slightly-pedantic

Money not units

The average price of a SoC for mobile is much much lower than for these parts, so whilst the volumes are lower I suspect the margin more than makes up for that.

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Segmentation

Intel likes to sell in the overpriced segment. All well and good for a monopoly, but these days there is quality competition at lower prices. Factor in Apple and Samsung making their own CPUs, and Intel can only sell to third place OEMs. Those OEMs have to aim for the biggest segment for economies of scale rather than Intel's prefered customers.

1. P0l0nium

Re: Segmentation

"Intel likes to sell in the overpriced segment."

WTF ??? Are you from the same tribe that keeps slagging Intel off for selling tablet parts below cost and undercutting AMD in the "entry level notebook" segment?

So wake me up when Samsung, Apple, Qualcomm or Nvidia get a share of the server market that exceeds Intel's share of "mobile" :-)

4. Nigel 11

Another possibility

the assumption is that the main motivation for these chips is to displace ARM from the tablet etc. market.

However, they may also be a very good way of field-testing technological advances that they will later use in chips aimed at the server market.

5. hammarbtyp

Maybe the wrong battleground

I think Intel is going to always struggle prising ARM from the mobile market, ironically for the same reason no-one has moved the Intel architecture from PC's. There is too much investment by mobile manufacturers in the ARM eco-system and they like the control ARM provides over the SoC. for example, is Apple going to handover it's special sauce for making chips to Intel for it's iphone? Probably not

However there are other markets where such chips would be great. Industrial control solutions and IoT for starters. . However they are not sexy applications and Intel seem very reticent to use there most power efficient cores in these areas allowing AMD and lately ARM to make headway in these areas.

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: Maybe the wrong battleground

"However there are other markets where such chips would be great. Industrial control solutions and IoT for starters"

IMO, IF they are serious, they really should be looking pushing RAS features such as ECC etc. The IoT crowd seem to forget that stuff like light switches are *reliable* and offer consistent performance, something not easily replicated by lowest-possible cost hardware. :(

1. CAPS LOCK

"ECC etc"

Yes, you are quite right. Its about time some of the reliability enhancing technologies used in servers migrated down into 'user' devices.

1. Nigel 11

Re: "ECC etc"

Its about time some of the reliability enhancing technologies used in servers migrated down into 'user' devices.

You can't have been around for long. It was only a decade or so ago that Intel stopped selling Desktop chipsets with ECC support. (Cure 2 Duo CPU era). ISTR that AMD chipsets still do support ECC, although for some reason most MoBo manufacturers disabled it at the board level. Certainly it wasn't many years ago I constructed a microserver around an AMD Sempron rather than anything Intel for this reason. It didn't need speed but it really did need not to corrupt data without anyone knowing that it was failing.

Doesn't happen often, but I have seen filesystems trashed by an undetected RAM failure. I also wonder why O/Ses don't try to protect themselves by running a memory tester on unallocated memory pages, maybe one minute per hour whenever the system is lightly loaded or idle. Nowhere as near as good as ECC, but better than doing nothing and hoping for the best.

2. Mikel

Re: Maybe the wrong battleground

It is true that SOC vendors and peripherals makers collaborate using ARM, Linux and Android to rapidly iterate innovation in the simulator and prove it against a suite of millions of apps for several generations between actually etching chips. Ain't gonna get that from Intel.

6. Mikel

Intel and madness

So they will again sell these for the never popular Windows slab - 19 years failing. And pair it with the sort of low resolution display you can get on a $50 Android slate. And sell it in the $800 and up tab space that belongs to Apple. And of course all the other features will be wrong too.

I wouldn't mind it in a 9" QHD Ubuntu slate, at a price comparable to what I can already get. This will happen when pigs fly.

Edit: and before you pooh pooh the idea, at least it has the advantage of not already having been tried and failing miserably for long enough to barrel a good whiskey.

7. willisit

So... are Intel supposed to stop? I mean, it's what they do - develop CPUs. One could argue that tablets and mobile sales are dropping, but they aren't going to stop are they? PCs still sell regardless of whether the doomsayers label them dead.

What next? Ford to stop developing cars because... insanity?

1. Mikel

What is poor Intel to do? Allocation of platform support

Once upon a time Windows was 90% of the smart devices market and the argument was that Intel would allocate 90% of their software platform support to it because of market realities, not technical ones. "Pragmatic and hard numbers based" is an ironclad defense for any Intel proposal. Well this year less than 25% of smart devices will have Windows on and yet Intel is still allocating 90% of their platform support to it, defeaturing their hardware for competing OS platforms. Maybe they could reevaluate their position on this issue.

1. Groaning Ninny

Re: What is poor Intel to do? Allocation of platform support

Defeaturing?

Ugh.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Purley??

Say no more squire, SAY NO MORE!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, these chips don't appear overnight- I imagine something like this:

2013, Intel boardroom: Wow, these tablet things are really taking off! We need a better chip for tablets, ASAP!

Intel engineer: We'll get right on it!

2015, Intel engineer: Well, we had to work like crazy, but here's that chip you wanted for tablets.

Intel boardroom: For what, now?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They aren't sell these for tablets

They'll selling them for Surface Pro. You can call that a tablet if you want, but it is really a laptop with a really poor keyboard since I've never seen one used in any other way.

I doubt Intel will continue with their giveaways of these chips trying to get them into the Android tablet market, especially as the Android tablet market is shrinking.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like