back to article Three Estonians jailed for malware spree that infected 4 MILLION computers

Three Estonians have been sentenced to a cumulative 11 years for their cybercrime activities which infected more than four million computers with malware across more than 100 countries. The three crims, who were sent down by US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan in Manhattan on Thursday, were: Timur Gerassimenko, 35, who received …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, wonder if those guys had full Estonian citizenship, or are part of the ethnic Russian diaspora who refuse to take citizenship. They certainly aren't Estonian names!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

Bring out the white cats dressed in confederate flags!

Yep...

The last defendant, Andrey Taame, who is a Russian national, remains at large, and is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

I smell a fish.

Another evil hit by P.U.T.I.N.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Russian national has an Estonian name. But yes, the other surnames names are Russian and Ukrainian.

As for the ethnic Russian diaspora - at the collapse of the Soviet Union they automatically received citizenship of the country in which they were registered. They do not have citizenship of the Russian Federation and do not have rights to migrate there. In recent years it has become more difficult to get residency in Russia for the diaspora.

One of the reasons that the Baltics are concerned about their security is that they have ensured that the local Russian community has no reason to be loyal to the state - and often they are not able to move back to the mother country.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pah

Three or four years in prison and getting to keep $10 million of the money they stole? Sounds like $1 million a year and better working conditions that most fast food outlets. Where do I apply?

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: Pah

Prosecutors always massively overestimate the haul of any crime, these poor lambs might have only have a million or 2 each when they get out in around 18 months.

3. Jean Le PHARMACIEN
    Joke

Phew!

As I scanned this on the homepage I read it as "Three ETOnians"!. Fortunately my shock and fears were allayed when I read this article and found we were dealing with three eastern europeans 'skilled' in IT rather than three from a well known public school skilled in....

Time to go to Spexsavers I think, (or the pub - it is Friday)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Phew!

You're not alone in your dyslexia I misread Dmitiri Jegorov as Dmitiri Legover at first glance. Too early for a pint!

3. JacobZ
      Pint

Re: Phew!

I did the same double-take. Pub it is.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's do the maths

They netted $14 million and only have to repay $4.5 million. The maximum sentence is 4 years. I know a lot of people who would be willing to go to prison for 4 years to end up with $3 million tax free. Where is the disincentive for these or other crims?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Let's do the maths

Is it like the UK where they count the same money multiple times and add it all together?

For example, if the three people jointly received the money, they are each treated as individually receiving the full amount.

If the money passed through multiple accounts before reaching them, they add together all the transfers in to each of the accounts but don't deduct the transfers out.

If they receive an asset other than cash, they add together the value of the asset and the sale proceeds from selling it.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Let's do the maths

"If the money passed through multiple accounts before reaching them, they add together all the transfers "

Sound like HMRC

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like