back to article Dualit DAB Lite radio

This latest offering from Dualit is based on the iconic toaster products the company is better known for. Bored of knocking out breakfast, Dualit is now knocking out music to accompany your muesli. Now before we go any further, a few words on DAB itself. There has been a lot of knife chucking of late, so let's just take stock …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin
    Thumb Down

Might I just point out

that DAB radio sales MIGHT do a little better (without accounting for compression and technical issues) if the available radios were anything other than overpriced, single-speaker excercises in how to make the largest, most retro/garish and most difficult to use pieces of hardware possible.

2. Tanuki
    Thumb Down

Overpriced and....

It isn't even stereo! How quaint.

3. Sam

Point of order

Will it be compatible with Dab2 when/if it comes out?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. fergal

poor georgie Porgie

who doesnt use the george? why wouldnt one use the george? the George is great.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Bored of knocking out breakfast"

I often worry that some of El Reg's journalists do not seem to have English as their first language, at least not Proper British English.

Whatever happened to "bored with"?

Mine's the exquisitely-tailored anorak...

7. M7S
    Thumb Up

Good Idea

The battery setup at least. If its a built in re-chargeable, then when its exhausted, and the mains power is off, thats it for a while, Cluedo by candlelight (um...). At least you can keep a number of appropriate "disposable" batteries in the cupboard and keep entertained (on FM at least, to make it last longer). I like the fact that it can charge rechargeables in situ, as thats one less task to deal with every so often.

8. tim
    Thumb Up

I like DAB

At last: an article on the register that isn't trying to stick it to DAB. I've got 3 dab radios; I think they're great.

9. Anonymous John

A bit overpriced.

Unless it does toast as well.

I bought a Roberts RD49 last year. Takes rechargeable AA cells and they can be recharged in situ.

10. Steve

EU power adaptor

So does it handle Band L DAB as (barely) used elswhere in the EU, or just Band II DAB as used in the UK ?

Don't get me wrong, I think DAB is a good idea and I wish I could get a DAB signal here, but a little bit of coherent design would help...

11. pinto
    Heart

poor value poor quality

Agree with Martin.

The manufacturers need to produce something that looks a bit more 'modern' and at least have stereo. Failing that I would only buy something pocket sized so that at least it would be more portable for everyday use. Local radio stations would help to sell it too. Energy efficiency/power consumption also needs to be improved to get longer battery life. There seems to be a great temptation on the part of the manufacturers to go for cheap mass production at the expense of quality (sound/features/durability).

Having said the above I have a hope for an improved system and sets.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would you like....

....some toast?

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. JB
    Alert

Ugly

I agree with the comments about DAB radios being rather ugly. I bought a Roberts radio a few years ago and my father tut-tutted, wondering what the hell had happened to radios these days. Say what you like about the Evoke radios, but they're simple and effective. As for stereo, as long as it had a stereo headphone and/or outputs to a stereo amplifier, that would be just fine.

15. Christian Berger

Wow!!!

Wow!!! It's a DAB reciever outside of a laboratory, museum or technical demonstration. Is it actually possible to _buy_ that thing?

In germany we do have wide coverage of DAB, but no sets to recieve it with.

16. A J Stiles
    Thumb Down

Stereo? Why?

There isn't a lot of point having a stereo amp and speakers on a DAB radio, unless it also has an analogue FM tuner. Most of the DAB streams are mono.

And while charging rechargeables in situ looks like a nice idea, it's still just a teeny weeny bit pointless. Either there's a power point nearby where you're going to be listening (in which case you can just use the mains) or there isn't (in which case you have to move the whole radio rather than just swapping out the batteries).

But worst of all, it's styled after a machine for making absolutely lousy toast! Even if you do manage successfully to find the few fractions of a degree between "raw" and "burnt" on the dial, an electric toaster still makes electric-tasting toast.

17. David
    Thumb Up

The George !

I'm currently on my 4th Foreman Grill. This time with the removable plates. They are great for bacon and sausages. You can do an egg on it as well if you put the front feet into the grease tray so the cooking surface is level. Fried tomatoes and mushrooms.

I'm hungry....

18. David Beck
    Thumb Down

EU plug?

Does it come with a map of the regions where there is a DAB signal too? Handy that is has a receiver for real radio built in, there won't be any problems finding FM stations.

If it were satellite based you could even listen to your favourite UK station. But it isn't and you can't, and never will be able to. Looks like the content creeps got their way, no pan European transmission system because they can't/won't license content for pan-European distribution.

19. Wize

I'll stick with...

...my FM alarmclock and my FM stereo in the kitchen. I can turn them both on in the morning and move between rooms listening to the one station.

Lets see someone do that with two different brands of DAB radio.

Not that I can get a signal on DAB for either of the two areas.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like