back to article Americans find fantastic new use for drones – interfering with firefighting

A blaze in southern California, which has already destroyed several cars and homes, has added another tool to its arsenal of dangers: bystanders' drones. NBC LA reports that drones taking footage of the blaze prevented the state's firefighting air units from getting involved in the firefighting effort, due to fears of …

1. RISC OS

They should train the police...

... to stop shooting black kids, and shoot black drones

2. GBE

Armed firefighting aircraft?

Or maybe issue 12-gauge shotguns to a few of the firefighters on the ground?

Or just drop the water on the drones?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Armed firefighting aircraft?

Guess they will happily drop water on silly drones if the could do it safely.

3. This is my handle

US of NRA

Once the civillians follow the Guv'ment lead and start weaponizing these things, the gun lobby will make them nearly impossible to regulate in any way. Scary situation.

1. Thomas Andersen

Re: US of NRA

You mean like this kid, who put a gun on his drone? http://www.sciencealert.com/nightmarish-video-of-gun-firing-drone-to-be-investigated-by-us-aviation-authorities

1. Allan George Dyer
        Terminator

So Skynet and the extermination of humanity is going to be a public/private enterprise?

1. Triggerfish

It's first inception will be on youtube.

4. Little Mouse

Dumb question...

...but were the rubber-necking holes of the arse variety drone pilots actually breaking any laws?

1. Peter Simpson 1
      FAIL

Re: Dumb question...

Perhaps, but certainly the laws of common sense, which seems to be alarmingly absent in today's yoof.

// agree, they should have dumped the water anyway...drones be damned.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"they should have dumped the water anyway...drones be damned."

The problem is the drones are more than capable of flying at the height of the fire craft dropping the water and possibly were that high to get a "good" view, hence the potential danger

2. Eddy Ito

According to the TFR list there wasn't a particular restriction at the particular time but according to the linked IIS site it isn't necessary for a TFR to be issued. "Even without a TFR, anyone who hampers firefighting efforts could face charges as well."

I'm personally all for giving the firefighters a jammer or any other technology to take down any remotely piloted drone. The autonomous ones will still likely require high speed metal projectiles, AD (Anti-Drone) guns or micro-missiles that can home in on a drone's radio signature perhaps.

1. Mark 85

From where I sit (in a heavily forested state where these fires are a constant threat), I would see nothing wrong with this.. except maybe target the operator first.

Downvote away because I'm not "thinking of the children". I'm thinking of the firefighters and anyone's home which is in the path of the fire.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm personally all for giving the firefighters a jammer or any other technology to take down any remotely piloted drone

Ah, but there may be a legit use of drones - by emergency crews, for instance, and permitting this would mean that every firefighter would have to carry a jammer in their kit with all sorts of problematic consequences and costs.

No, the real issue here is that it appears common sense has once again lagging behind technology. Anyone with a brain capable of thinking beyond what it takes to keep a drone in the air would have worked out that drone + firefighter plane cannot physically occupy the same space and getting the fires out is a *tad* more important that making nice pictures that you can flog to the media (to name but one motive other than blatant stupidity).

If a firefighter crashes because of a drone, the owner will not be convicted of being a stupid idiot, I think it would be more along the lines of culpable homicide. And I would agree with such a verdict, it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out consequences here.

1. Tom 13

Re: may be a legit use of drones

Any legit use must obviously be coordinated with firefighter control and he did allow for "any other technology to take down..."

It is incontrovertible that given people have been, are, and will continue to be exceptionally stupid in even the worst of circumstances, the only viable solution is to give the firefighters the legal authority and the means to take down the drones.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations 91.137

5. Dan Paul

The Drones are "Journalists" property, shoot them down!

See, just because you have a drone, you must be a "journalist" or "photographer" that is if you can ever call anyone who works for TMZ a journalist.

Can you add one plus one and answer why public servants might be afraid of dunking the drones of TMZ photogs?

6. Stevie

Bah!

I can't see why they don't just bring down these drones with shoulder-launched heat-seeking missiles.

1. Chris G

Re: Bah!

I think a stinger is overkill for a crappy little drone.

A 3" magnum 12 bore loaded with SG for deer might be fun though

1. Doctor_Wibble

> I think a stinger is overkill for a crappy little drone.

But on the other hand highly entertaining and the 'citizen journalists' will be encouraged to keep theirs further back to ensure a decent view, i.e. one that does not involve the word 'incoming'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The nut behind the wheel

But drones are cheap, so they'll just go buy another.

Better to home in on the control signal...

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
        Thumb Up

Re: The nut behind the wheel

Better to home in on the control signal...

You reminded me of a recent Dilbert :)

3. Stevie

So no-one caught the "heat-seeking" missile in a wildfire thing?

Tsk! "Engineers".

4. Tom 13

Because a little drone doesn't generate enough heat to accurately target a shoulder launched heat-seeking missile.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shoot them down

Then jail the operators for at least 5 years, no parole.

Yes it is a little extreme but sooner or later one of these things is going to bring down a real aircraft. Then every drone (press operated ones included) will be banned.

1. J__M__M

Re: Shoot them down

Then jail the operators for at least 5 years, no parole. Done. Next on the agenda is deciding who we're going to let out to make room. Car jacker, child molester, and heroin dealer. Pick one.

2. Tom 13

Re: Shoot them down

While I like the idea, there's one small but very significant flaw in your plan. Drones of this sort aren't licensed, so there's no good way to track down the owner, other than maybe locating them at the time of the incident. Yes, if they find them, I'm all for throwing them in jail. I'm just not sure 5 years is long enough.

8. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"they should have dumped the water anyway...drones be damned."

Agreed 100%. The problem they run into, is they are following FAA rules written assuming any flying vehicle is manned, so they must avoid damage to other vehicles at all costs. You know what, if you're flying a drone over a fire? Fuck it, dump the water on it, wreck that drone. I would also have no objection to them having nets (or some kind of drone tazers or something) or sharpshooters take care of the drones.

It sounds like it's time to bring radio direction finding equipment to these, along with possibly jammers. I'm assuming the owners were not caught but with RDF they'd be caught, and with a jammer the drones would go out of control and crash (there's already a fire there so no harm done I guess), freeing up the airspace within a minute or so.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

> The problem they run into, is they are following FAA rules written assuming any flying vehicle is manned, so they must avoid damage to other vehicles at all costs.

While that may be true, the bigger problem they run into is that if they hit a drone, it could cause serious damage to the firefighter's aircraft. So they must avoid the area to avoid the risk to human life a collision could cause.

I'm inclined to agree with other comments - have a means of bringing them down, preferably intact so the owner/operator can be traced. It's going to have fingerprints, serial numbers, possibly WiFi access codes and/or the MAC address of whatever has been connected to it, and all manner of computer forensics on it. Then charge them with obstructing the firefighting operations.

Until there are a few well publicised prosecutions, people just won't see that there's any harm in flying them where they like.

9. imanidiot Silver badge

Open drone season

Nothing a 12 gauge won't solve.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: Open drone season

Let me guess... you're American, right?

1. J__M__M

Re: Open drone season

Let me guess... you're American, right?

I vote no, otherwise he would know a shotgun doesn't have that kind of reach.

10. Van

bird strike

what's the difference between a bird strike and drone strike?

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Re: bird strike

Birds have more sense than to fly over forest fires.

2. John Bailey

Re: bird strike

"what's the difference between a bird strike and drone strike?"

Column inches and wilful hysterics.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business opportunity

... for a mini-Aegis Phalanx CIWS mountable on firetrucks to sweep annoying drones without a proper FoF response from the skies.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. skeptical i
    Thumb Down

Folks who lost homes, cars, or other property

while fire services stood down should sue the bejabbers out of the morons who were flying the drones, if said perps can be tracked down. Some people hear the words "forest fire" and think "how can I help?", others hear those words and think "ratings!" or "page views!". Shameful, just shameful.

14. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Would've been ironic if one of the drone operators lost his car/house due to his own stupidity....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like