back to article Wicked WikiLeaks leaks considered harmful: Alert over malware lurking in dumped docs

Documents laced with malware have been found in WikiLeaks.org's cache of files obtained from hacked CIA wannabe Stratfor. Intelligence biz Stratfor was ransacked by Jeremy Hammond in late 2011, and its email archives passed to whistleblowing website WikiLeaks in early 2012. The Julian Assange™-led organization soon began …

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Bad analogy

Prising open a sarcophagus in the British Museum might give you a bit more than you bargained for.

2. Six_Degrees

"Wieder says he's been trying to contact the whistleblowing website to get the data cleaned up. He argues that you wouldn't expect a reputable news source to host malicious files, so WikiLeaks – which seeks to hold power to account – shouldn't either."

Well, there's your problem - assuming that WikiLeaks is anything other than an exercise in Assange's ongoing self-aggrandizement.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice bit of subversion

So, Wikileaks don't just have Assange™ , but their master hackers can't even clean up a document?

4. Ole Juul

Target?

These documents wouldn't have been specially prepared for Wikileaks, would they? Because that would be a good method of distribution to journalists.

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

What Brave New Orderly World Orders Need to Heed in Deed, indeed*

El Reg has verified that the documents identified by Wieder are dangerous. It's possible there are more infected files lurking in WikiLeaks' databases of unfiltered data.

Everything leaking truth is dangerous to sysadmins in systems built on spinning propaganda which is infected and inflected, El Reg.

And, in this particular field of endeavour, moving on from ….

“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.” ― George Orwell, 1984

…… is it a destructive thing, creation with words which are truly disruptive, but a thing of beauty to boot, nevertheless, for the freedom that all truths deliver.

* And corrupt juntas and fiat ponzi power elite brotherhoods too.

6. Paul Crawford Silver badge

As always, view such material in a VM without network connections.

Maybe using Linux as well if most of these are typical win32 malware that was spammed to the now-leaked account, though getting MS docs to render accurately is a challenge (if you just want the info, not such a problem).

1. Twilight Turtle

If it's CVE-2010-3333, then LibreOffice or OpenOffice will probably do.

Or, y'known, any Windows versions of Microsoft Word that's been patched in the last half-decade.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Or the font-rendering one I guess :(

1. Twilight Turtle

If you're referring to the TrueType one from the tail end of last year, I think the actual vuln was in the way that certain Microsoft products parsed crafted TrueType files, so I'm not sure the same exploit would work against other vendors implementations of the TrueType standard. But don't hold me to that.

7. Adze
    Joke

"Wieder says he's been trying to contact the whistleblowing website to get the data cleaned up"

Has he tried calling between the hours of, say, 9am and 5pm ECT?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You tried to contact WikiLeaks?

Why not just ring the Ecuadorian embassy in London, I hear they have Julian on staff.

Secondly, have these exploits all been issued CVE numbers and been patched? If so, then the problem is with the users, not with WikiLeaks.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

"a video posted on Fox News will not contain an embedded script"

A video posted on Fox News will not contain any news either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "a video posted on Fox News will not contain an embedded script"

Aye. And the NYT? Just about bringing in the rupes, too. I mean rubes.

I guess two does not a pattern make.

10. Primus Secundus Tertius

Censorship?

Wikileaks: the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Except where it has been censored to protect us, for our own good. Er, ?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Captain Obvious to the rescue!

I'm fairly "Well, duh" about the whole thing. News flash: there's probably malware in the Hacking Team files too. *Everybody's* mail spool would be found to contain malware if it was dumped en masse, even if only in the spam folder, and all the usual warnings about being wary of email attachments don't suddenly stop applying just because you're reading someone else's email rather than your own.

I also think it's entirely proper for Wikileaks to host the files verbatim and unredacted nor altered in any way from their original state. That is precisely its mission - which you may disagree with for moral, political, or philosophical reasons, but that's a separate discussion, and in its own terms, this is definitely the way Wikileaks should be doing what it does, and it should not get into the business of editing or censoring the files it leaks.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The laugh is on the crims

A little abuse of the crims is good for a laugh. Anyone dumb enough to be illegally downloading stolen files deserves to get burned.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like