back to article Microsoft boffins borrow smartmobe brains to give wearables 9x kick

Microsoft and Georgia University researchers have developed a system that can make wearable devices up to nine times faster with four times the battery life by offloading processing to traditional mobile devices. The platform, dubbed WearDrive, offloads processing power using WiFi and Bluetooth connections so that watches or …

1. Adrian 4

What did it do to the phone battery life ?

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Happy

You're not supposed to ask questions like that!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I assume from this bit: "with little negative impact compared to state-of-the-art phones" that it didn't reduce it by much.

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Just call it "Project Buzzkill".

2. Lionel Baden

this is cutting edge research ?

I would of thought it was quite rudimentary.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: this is cutting edge research ?

Indeed; blindingly obvious. They needed university researchers to work this out?

1. dogged

That's why you wrote it, right?

What, you didn't write it?

1. Lionel Baden

No Dogged, I didn't write it.

Why should I write it?

I also didn't write the paper on why it would be pointless to get in a argument with you.

1. dogged

> Why should I write it?

Because you say it's so easy and self-evident. The only way you could confidently state that is if you wrote the paper or if you're just jerking off.

Thanks for telling us which.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I would of thought it was quite rudimentary.

Do have a read of the linked PDF.

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Headmaster

of off!

I would have thought...

Just because the contraction would've sounds a bit like would of, doesn't mean it is.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you read the paper you'll see that a) it actually isn't rudimentary, and b) is interesting: there are a lot of trade-offs to make to determine if distributing computing over a set of radio interfaces is worthwhile to the system energy usage.

3. Vic

up to 15.21x ?

Anyone quoting figures like this to 4sf is clearly taking a balanced and well thought-out position...

Vic.

4. TS15

May well be missing something here, but isn't this essentially the same approach used by the Apple Watch running the current release of WatchOS & WatchKit ?

The watch serves as an interaction / display medium for apps running on an associated iPhone... Sound familiar?

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/WatchKitProgrammingGuide/DesigningaWatchKitApp.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014969-CH3-SW1

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like