back to article Google joins Bluetooth snoop pals with iBeacon rival tech Eddystone

Google has jumped on the Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) beacon bandwagon with a set of open standards and software interfaces to give Apple's iBeacon a run for its money. Apple rolled out iBeacon in 2013, and has been pushing it as a way for companies to do things like tracking potential customers' movements as they wander around …

1. x 7

I knew there was a reason for disabling bluetooth.........now I know why

as to the name, if its pinched from a lighthouse I think you'll find its from the most famous of them all - see http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses/lighthouse_list/eddystone.html

the first lighthouse built in the open sea

not some colonial effort which pinched the name of a historic British piece of engineering

1. iLuddite

Seeing as this will shoot holes in privacy, it must be named after the Eddystone rifle. I suggest you let the colonials pinch the name on this one, as it will likely be a bad word before long. Yes, the rifle was pinched also.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Creepier and creepier

Used to be curiouser and curiouser... Now it is creepier and creepier...

3. elDog

So now they all want to see when your eyeballs look at the screen

Privacy == privy

Google continues to collect photos from your phone even after you've removed the app.

Your phone continues to report your position even when it is off.

Your voice may be recorded and sent to mother even if you didn't ask for it.

Every glance, every touch, every sound - all recorded for posterity (and analysis)

Do YOU know what your phone is doing tonight?

1. TheProf
      Devil

Re: So now they all want to see when your eyeballs look at the screen

"Your phone continues to report your position even when it is off."

Now that is some scary tech. And I even pulled the battery out.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Needs Android 4.3, not Android 2.3

Play Services 7.8 might run on 2.3, but beacons require BLE, which requires Android 4.3 - and the hardware has to support it as well.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mmm

I have a phone I bought for £12 new, unlocked, a Samsung something-or-other. It is tiny, and lasts 3 weeks on one charge. And it makes voice style phone calls, that is all. It does have a built in calculator, and a contact list. I do not find it an inconvenience that my telephone only makes telephone calls, and in the event that I wish to add earphones, I must buy a suitable set and plug them in.

You see, I prefer it that only GCHQ can track me using my phone.

Maybe surveillance excesses mean it's time to get back to the unix way of telephony.

1. The last doughnut

Re: Mmm

Hm yeah but smartphones are just brilliant

1. x 7

Re: Mmm

brilliant for what?

Please explain in 100 words

6. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like