back to article Hacking Team's snoopware 'spied on anti-communist activists in Vietnam'

Security researchers are linking malware sent to anti-communist activists in Vietnam to controversial commercial spyware firm Hacking Team. The assault dating from 2012-13 appears to use Hacking Team's MSN+Skype tabs, according to preliminary analysis by MalwareMustDie. ‪"‬It seems their govt bought such solution as toolset …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why didn't antivirus and antimalware software pick up them up?

Could it be that western governments were using them as well and told said companies to ignore them?

I'm off to make me a tin-foil hat though these days fiction is starting to look a lot like the truth.

1. DubyaG

Why didn't antivirus and antimalware software pick up them up?

Because those packages really only pick up things they know about. Heuristics is a "fuzzy" thing and not all that reliable for unknowns.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed however why not use checksums to confirm files are what they should be?

I'm thinking rather than the unknowns you can focus on the knowns.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why antivirus is not detecting?

Due to why antivirus is not detecting these malware/exploit/spyware used. There is a fact that researchers that are/were working in "hackingteam" are infiltrated in several security industries and security community group, in some social engineering media several names for these infiltrators were alerted to the information security community one by one. Further, it was suggested that some people in the industry "may" know who they are and letting them in for "some reasons".

Those group/community infiltrated contains several people who work in AV industries, and they share information in limited & closely about detection of the new threat. By seeing these information, infiltrators can arrange to make HT products to be less detected. They can seek ways how to mitigate their exploit/0days/malware/spyware or whatever the crap to be fully undetected.

For the involvement of the government, is beyond of my knowledge to confirm.

2. Pen-y-gors

Prison?

Surely there is some way for these evil scum to end up in prison? They must have broken some laws somewhere - ten years in a Colombian jail is too good for them!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like