back to article NASA chooses ace SPACE PILOTS who'll take the USA back into manned flight

NASA has chosen the astronauts who will be first in the upcoming return by America to manned space operations. All four are veteran space fliers and former military test pilots. "For as long as I’ve been Administrator, President Obama has made it very clear that returning the launches of American astronauts to American soil is …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Right Stuff

Reporter to Alan Shepard in the 1983 film: "So what do you think of when you're waiting on top of that (Redstone) rocket?"

Shepard: "The fact that every part of this ship was built by the lowest bidder."

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: The Right Stuff

If all they are doing is going to low Earth orbit, it simply isn't worth it.

We need to go to the moon, Mars, and other places. We need to set up mining and refuelling operations, a space elevator to build large interstellar ships. We need orbital hotels and tours to Saturn's Rings. We need humans in other star systems.

Otherwise a big chunk of ice will wipe us all out one day.

We just need to leave all the politicians, bureaucrats, religion and lawyers behind when we do leave.

1. Fatman
        Joke

We just need to leave all the politicians, bureaucrats, religion and lawyers behind when we do leave.

Well you are on the correct path, but, we should take them along, and once in orbit, jettison them out the airlock, BOFH style!!!!

</snark>

2. Chrissy

politicians, bureaucrats, religion and lawyers = reaction mass

3. Graham Marsden
        Thumb Up

> We just need to leave all the politicians, bureaucrats, religion and lawyers behind when we do leave.

No, we need to tell them that the planet is going to be eaten by a gigantic mutant Star Goat, but, fortunately we've built three ships, three Arks in Space...

2. John Tserkezis

They didn't pick me.

Probably a good thing though.

Especially inconvenient when you're tied up in a small tin can with a crazy person. (That would be me)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They didn't pick me.

Nor me. Jeez, I'm never going to get to drop acid in space at this rate!

1. Bleu

Re: They didn't pick me.

You could always launch a crowdfunder to go on Virgin Galactic, do something stupid to become famous on Youtube, then stare at the camera and beg.

Although I do not think a Virgin Galactic flight counts as being in spaaace, even if they ever do get off the ground.

If you have access to some aceed, there is an old movie you can watch that will give you the feeling of being there at times, if seen on the big screen.

I tried it once, overseas, the bits the hippys liked are ho-hum, but the spaaace bits are really intensified.

I wish our govt had not banned mushr..ms, but that is how it is.

One does not want to break the law in an authoritarian state.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"Returning the launches of American astronauts to American soil is a top priority"

Unlike Congress.

Who've consistently starved Commercial Cargo & Crew of requested funds.

Their top priority seems to be ensuring that Commercial Crew will not fly a 'naut until their fat a**sed cuckoo little precious SLS flies a meatsack.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: "Returning the launches of American astronauts to American soil is a top priority"

They try to kill commercial crew AND every engine R&D program NASA's started.

Then they sit back and bitch about why we have to buy Russian rocket engines & Soyuz seats!

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: "Returning the launches of American astronauts to American soil is a top priority"

"Their top priority seems to be"

Ensuring that they get maximum kickbacks for themselves and their cronies.

4. Martin Budden Silver badge

The SpaceX and Boeing spacecraft designs are also more efficient, managing to cram in four astronauts per trip

The SpaceX Dragon 2 will be able to carry seven astronauts!

p.s. I wish it was still called DragonRider, that is a very cool name.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

The SpaceX Dragon 2 will be able to carry seven astronauts!

p.s. I wish it was still called DragonRider, that is a very cool name.

If I remember correctly it's EITHER 7 crew with no cargo OR 4 crew and 400 kg of cargo.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

imanidiot: You're correct, in the pressurised section. There's still the stuff which can be carried in the trunk.

2. Bleu

When was it ever called 'Dragonrider'?

Recall reading a short story years ago, partly promotion for Musk Enterprises, long before they had anything to show, but even then it was Dragon, not Dragonrider.

Still have the book it was in.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Yeah, they had one of those in The Times the other day. I just need to collect 1,000,000,000 coupons from each day's paper, and at the end of it, they'll fly me to the Moon for £1.

Terms and conditions apply. No more than one application per household. You may not fly on weekends, bank holidays, peak travel times (such as Christmas, Summer, Winter, Autumn, Easter or Spring). See paper for more details.

2. Bleu

$58 million

for a unicorn of a cost-comparison, the 58 does not exist as of the present. Comparing prices for a real service with those for an imaginary service raises logical problems.

The 58 will become inflated.

6. hplasm
    Happy

Putin Time!

This summer! Two for One Space Launch! Much Cheapness! Book Now!!!!!

Limited Spaces available

May explode.

7. Little Mouse

"the move to flying on American spacecraft would save the agency a ton"

That's how much? One fifth of a Monkey?

1. AbelSoul
      Thumb Up

Re: One fifth of a Monkey?

Or four ponies.

(Sometimes referred to as a donkey-shop quartet.)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, please... :-)

Three men and one woman? They aren't called Jenediah, Bill, Bob and Valentina by any chance, are they? <grin>

1. Alister

Re: Oh, please... :-)

They aren't called Jenediah, Bill, Bob and Valentina by any chance, are they?

No, It's Alice, Bob, Chuck and Dan...

9. Bleu

All very well to say

78 vs. 58, but a launch of one person at the latter price has never happened, and many times 58 have been and are being poured into the latter.

So the true price of the latter is two orders of magnitude higher, at least.

At least not as high as the F-35, obscenely expensive, no good even against their own old-generation planes, that is a true economic rape of every USA person who is not a bribed politician, working at one of their places, or holding stock in a related company.

I think USA people will also agree, F-35 is the biggest failure (per expense) in aerospace history.

Congrats to the military-industrial-bankster-stock market complex! You really are seeming to have a big win there!

Cost-performance is awful, design is not interesting and ineffective. Price per unit is unbelievable. Please check if you do not know. It will only increase, even when they are delivered in bigger numbers.

I am not a USA person, but I am a human, and I do not like to see cheating of the people on such a scale.

Spending a fraction of that on human spaceflight would make an immense advance.

... but then, it is already clear that it is imaginary money being spent by USA of now and its businesses.

What was the last astronomical debt?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: All very well to say

Yeah, but think of all the museums that can be built around a proudly displayed "Actual, FULLY FUNCTIONAL version of the WHITEST ELEPHANT ever! Only original pieces!". It will boost local economies!

Plus we got the Chinese to actually COPY A FULLY USELESS DESIGN AND TRY TO FLY IT!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like