back to article LOGITECH - TECH = 'LOGI' ... that's non-Logitech tech, is it?

Venerable desk-rodent maker Logitech says it will move into new categories of products. To mark the occasion it's introducing a new brand based on chopping the end off its old one. Get ready for "Logi." The company's name isn't changing, a Logitech spokesperson told El Reg via email. But it will use the Logi label for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now more people will get to feel the pain

Logitech have (hands down) the worst product support in tech. :(

Wonder if this means their support is now officially ilLogical. :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Now more people will get to feel the pain

Never dealt with Microsoft Xbox support then have you?

2. elDog

I've probably owned/provisioned 300-400 Logitech products and have been very pleased by the lack of tech support needed. Their installations are usually flawless, their website is quick and easy.

Can you give some examples where their products didn't work properly?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Can you give some examples where their products didn't work properly?"

Don't ever try to get any of their trackballs working on OSX. The drivers _literally_ didn't work when I tried (repeatedly), and the outsourced tech support person was so incredibly clueless they couldn't understand the problem. I don't think the people really understood what a driver is. :( Then marked the issue fixed/resolved - which it absolutely wasn't. Went through this with them a couple of times, and same behaviour every single time. (including their bogus stacking of their "resolved" stats) :(

Bought a Kensington Expert Mouse instead (despite the name, it's a trackball), which works well (including the driver :>).

---

So, their hardware is generally ok (eg keyboards, webcams)... but their software support... I've not come across anything that bizarrely bad before. And No, I'm not into MS XBox, so never went through that pain.

1. future research

Sounds like netgear support. If obvious hardware problem, not too difficult to jump through the hoops to get a RMA. If it is a software problem. say the error log on a layer 2 switch filling up with a consistent message (every second) that I do not know the mean off the and hiding all other messages. The only solution from netgear (after finally getting them to understand the fault) was we don't understand the error message either, turn off logging.

2. Dan Paul

Re: Now more people will get to feel the pain (Not really, AC!)

OSX? Too bad, must not have any generic USB trackball profile like Windows does.

FTR, I have NEVER had any issues in my history (been using them since they began and I'm 60) with Logitech products. Their SetPoint software sometimes is a little twitchy and more bloated than it could be but their products have always operated well on Windows even if their was an occasional driver conflict.

Right now I have 3 (Anywhere MX) mice and 3 (K750 and K400) wireless keyboards in active use and a pile of older stuff in the spare drawer. My old Logitech trackball still works but the Anywhere mouse is more compact, works well without a dedicated mousepad on dark and uneven surfaces and has many similar features. The keyboards are great and from what I hear work well with Macs.

I can't speak of their webcams as I don't use any. Not sure what generation of USB your trackball was but all computers had issues with the earliest versions of USB and UUART chips. Since trackballs are kind of out of fashion, yours might have such an issue.

3. Jediben

I have found they have been the BEST product supporters in tech. Aftersales have been fantastic, providing replacement mouse feet free of charge and shipped at their cost. I also had a G5 mouse replaced with a newer model when they couldn't provide said feet any more. Their quality control is generally excellent as well.

4. Alan Edwards

I'd have a Logitech mouse over anyone else's. The MX Revolution is the best I've used, I have a VX470, M705 and MX Anywhere I use regularly too.

The software is the best part. SetPoint knows about all the mice, so one install lets you set up whichever device you happen to be using.

I will admit I've never had to contact them for support, all the kit I've had "just works", to borrow from Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'd have a Logitech mouse over anyone else's. "

I wouldn't. For years I bought Logitech. When they worked they were great, but always short lived, and with optical and wireless devices it's often hard to reliably replicate the fault. Given that they aren't cheap, the short life isn't acceptable in this house, so I now no longer buy anything made by Logitech (and won't be buying anything by Logi, either).

1. Tannin

The mice aren't too bad, but then any of several of the better mouse brands are just fine and go on doing exactly what you expect them to do for years. (Hint: stay away from the expensive ones, you really don't get anything from an expensive "luxury" mouse that you don't get from a plain basic model so long as it is of decent quality - anything made by Logitech (or for that matter Microsoft) in a basic OEM mouse is usually cheap, practical, and reliable).

It's the trackballs which drive me spare. Logitech make a line of trackballs which are head and shoulders superior to pretty much anything else from an ergonomic point of view. Once you get used to one you'll never want to use anything else. But they are absurdly expensive (which I can live with) and the damn things wear out very quickly (which is unforgivable in a product costing this much).

Compare with the Kensington Expert Mouse in the same broad price category which is built like a tank and lasts pretty much forever. Sadly, although the Kensington mechanical design and construction is first class, the ergonomics are not even in the same street as the cheaply-built, expensive Logitech product. So you grit your teeth and pay through the nose and buy yet another new one every couple of years.

In revenge, I make a point of buying non-Logitech OEM product for our mainstream products. Not that it achieves anything, but what can you do?

EDIT: I see that Kensington have redesigned the Expert Mouse and it's now a more sensible and practical shape. Time to try one out again, I think. If it's even half as well-made as the old model used to be it will be a winner.

1. asdf

> (Hint: stay away from the expensive ones, you really don't get anything from an expensive "luxury" mouse that you don't get from a plain basic model so long as it is of decent quality

I thought that too until I bought a G9x and doubt I will have to buy another mouse again before mice become obsolete (build quality is excellent, and being able to put weights in a mouse sounds like a gimmick until you get it exactly right for your hand). Some high end mice are worth it.

2. Pookietoo

Re: absurdly expensive ... wear out very quickly

They're £30 on eBay, and I find they last for years. I have some with serial port connection, which would probably still work if I could find a serial port, but were put away because the ergonomics were not as good as the later USB models.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: absurdly expensive ... wear out very quickly

I wouldn't use anything other than a Logitech MX 'Anywhere' mouse with the spinny scroll wheel now. It's just lovely. On glass it feels beautifully smooth.

2. J. R. Hartley

Logey?

Never heard of em

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Logey?

Yogi bear's retarded cousin perhaps?

2. King Jack

Re: Logey?

A logey is when you hack up phlegm from the back of your throat and spit it out. You get more points the greener it is.

3. asdf

>one reason for losing the "tech" is that Logitech has decided it needs to sex up its products.

Or you know they could do like they did 5 to 10 years ago and make the best ones for the price before they jumped the shark. Nah better to have marketing polish the turd.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The last Logi(e) developed a mechanical TV system that was effectively obsolete by the time it went into BBC trials against an EMI-Marconi electronic system.

5. Andy Christ

Trouble with all third party peripherals, they are at the mercy of whatever operating system they support. Along comes an OS update and suddenly they no longer function as when first released. My Logitech keyboard allows me to use my iPad almost like a laptop when sitting at my desk, really a godsend considering how buggy Apple's iOS has got at editing text. But under 8.3 - 8.4 I can no longer invert the screen using the home button, and the function keys for brightness still have no effect at all. Considering Logitech is an authorized Apple licensee, one would expect better synchronization between the two companies and their devices.

Had even worse problem with Macally; loved their trackball but each time Apple updated Mac OS the software would fall behind until the thing became useless. Ended up paying more for a third party driver than I did for the original trackball, grrr...

1. Lionel Baden
      Trollface

im prety sure, but don't quote me on this.

The patch is available on a newer device and is easily obtainable via purchasing of said device.

Yes a little bit troll, but most likely true.

6. Cryo

My first impression was that I wasn't fond of the new logo, but then your article reminded me that I didn't actually like the old logo all that much. The typeface was fine, but the "weird blobby thing" was always so weird and blobby. (In actuality, it's an abstraction of their even older logo, which was an eye that looked like it had been drawn in MSPaint.) I think we had only become desensitized to it from seeing it so much. The new logo isn't bad, and the old one probably should have been updated a decade ago.

And be sure to watch their new brand video if you like having seizures...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CO6PJ6IWFI

1. Pookietoo

Re: watch their new brand video

Somewhat reminiscent of that crappy MSFT Surface advert, I thought.

7. Tom 64

Last time I checked...

... It wasn't 1983, whats with all the garish fluorescent colours!

From the video, it looks like they'll be punting tablets and netbooks.

8. ChaoticMike

Squeezeboxes... pleeeease

Maybe, instead of moving into unknown territories, they could simply resuscitate the wonderful Squeezebox hardware, that they acquired and then dropped. Idiots.

1. future research

Re: Squeezeboxes... pleeeease

I use a raspberry pi, but there are other makers of dedicated hardware to use as a squeezebox.

1. ChaoticMike

Re: Squeezeboxes... pleeeease

Indeed, I have a Joggler running SqueezeOS and an outboard DAC which sounds pretty good, but it isn't as simple as the Squeezebox Duet combination that got me started.

Who makes dedicated devices?

9. MOV r0,r0

'specifically in the categories of mobility.'

Wheelchairs?

10. Brian 3

Logitech also make some really good value speakers too.. I replaced a big setup with the z540 4.1 years ago, because it was good enough. Not as good as my huge old loudspeakers and big sealed sub but very close and don't take up half a room. The only problem they had was with the volume pot getting crackly but as we all know it just needs a little contact cleaner to fix that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like