back to article US dominates net-security patents, China, Canada and Oz on the advance

The US, China, Canada and Australia are the world's major sources of security patents, according to analysis by LexInnova. The company issued a report on Friday looking at the market for security patent licensing. It'll come as no surprise that Cisco is the 800-pound gorilla of the security game with 6,442 patents (followed …

1. Graham Marsden
    Meh

And how many...

... of those patents are actually original or inventive and aren't simply attempts to patent the wheel or something that someone else has already patented...?

1. Gis Bun

Re: And how many...

You can't patent something that has been already patented.

probably can't patent something that is already out there either.

That said, there are some patents which are around but will never be used and others that have the oddest patenting [at least maybe until there are in conjunction with another patent].

1. Graham Marsden

> You shouldn't be able to patent something that has been already patented, nor something that is already out there either.

FTFY! (Now let's fix the US Patent Office...)

2. Vic

probably can't patent something that is already out there either.

I've had quite a few patents[1] granted. They involve innovative solutions such as "using data-reordering instructions to re-order data" and "using the Count Leading Zeroes instruction to count leading zeroes". These are all current and available for use by my previous employer as a stick with which to beat competitors...

Vic.

[1] All of my patents are utterly useless. All of them. But I was young, and didn't know any better - I got paid quite a bit of cash for each filing, and more for each granting.

1. Graham Marsden
          Pint

@Vic - Re: And how many...

I don't know whether to downvote you for having done (or been made to do) such things or upvote you out of sympthy...

... so have a beer instead!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like