back to article Microsoft to HIKE Azure prices as exchange rates shift

Over the last few years, Google, Amazon Web Services and Microsoft have all announced price cut after price cut, but Redmond is about to increase prices for its Azure cloud. A Microsoft spokesperson told us the company “... continues to evaluate the market conditions in the countries in which we operate. As a result, we will …

1. ratfox
    Windows

Looks like Microsoft thinks the quality of its offering is good enough to keep its customers. They've been wrong about that before, too.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Facepalm

Ouch

That's going to screw a few budgets.

GJC

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: Ouch

"That's going to screw a few budgets."

Very very very few budgets. After the 7 hour outage last week, I don't know how many Australian customers they have, or will be able to get. MS also seems to tone deaf to announce a price increase so close to a major outage, but that is typical for them.

3. CAPS LOCK

Price rises from Microsoft?...

... I assume the local competition has gone titsup.

1. Hans 1

Re: Price rises from Microsoft?...

>I assume the local competition has gone titsup.

That is what they think ... ;-) Google Australia just filed for chapter 11, or was that just Nadella's dream ?

They are feeling the pain, Windows is making no money anymore ... so they hike up the price of office^H^H^H^H^H^Hazure ...

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Tax dodges are not cynical.

Taxes are cynical.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Tax dodges are not cynical.

So, you'll be letting the firemen set rates for putting out your house at their leisure, then? No taxes = no government = no emergency services. You ready to live in that world?

Maybe you should read up on the history of New York City.

5. Ron Pitts

I've always been a fan of Azure but the outage and this pretty large increase starts you thinking if this is a long term solution. IT budgets are always limited so 26% is pretty large and a bit stupid on Microsoft part.

Microsoft have been selling Azure in Visual Studio for ages now hoping most developers bake the platform into there code.

I can tell you some IT managers will be wondering if Microsoft stabbed them in the back with this increase........

At least with on-premise hardware you can budget correctly over 3 years !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon