back to article Argentina finds messenger to shoot after e-vote vuln allegations

Argentinian police have reportedly raided a programmer who went public with vulnerabilities in the electronic voting system used in Buenos Aires elections last June. Joaquín Sorianello has told La Nacion that police raided both his home and that of a friend, looking for computers and storage devices. Argentina's e-voting …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plus ça change...

The inevitable default response to pointing out flaws in e-voting machines seems to be to do absolutely anything but fix the problem or even admit it exists. Do all of these wankers hire the same crisis management team, or do they just have the same lack of scruples and imagination?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Plus ça change...

No, it annoys the people in power because they have to find another way to steal elections.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge

"Democracy is in the counting" (Tom Stoppard)

When I studied cryptographic and electronic voting schemes I rapidly came to the conclusion that all of the practicable ones (i.e. ones which could be implemented and usable in practice) had the fatal flaw that you were trusting whoever had built and designed the system to be entirely honest in reporting the results.

The essential part of a voting system is not that your own vote is reported correctly, but that everyone else's vote is. Other important features are that the returning officers should be able to prove they have not cheated. In a system of paper ballots there is always the option for a recount, and anyone wanting to subvert the election has to forge a large number of ballots. With any electronic scheme, subverting the system is more feasible, if you you have the technical capability.

The problem is that electronic election systems are chosen by politicians, and designed by large corporation whose bosses want lucrative government contracts. Anyone remember the 'hanging chads' that got George W Bush elected, and the confusing voting paper in Florida - choesen by a republican politician?

As Tom Stoppard said - Democracy is not in the vcoting, but in the counting. The NAZIs subverted the democratic process by blatantly lieing about referenda results to deny rights to Jews (see Christabel Bielenberg's "The Past is Myself"). With an electrinic voting systems it is so much easier for those in power to cheat.

<OK, rant over>

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: "Democracy is in the counting" (Tom Stoppard)

Statistical test for irregularities are also possible: see e.g.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.3087

3. PassiveSmoking

You committed the worst crime possible

You showed up your government. Expect no mercy.

4. Roq D. Kasba

Evoting = bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

Quite a good explanation of why a pencil and standing in a church hall is actually a good thing

5. tom dial Silver badge

Evoting = bad

I cannot upvote this enough times. The notion that we need the election results by the 10PM or 11PM TV news report seems to be one driver of this electronic voting rubbish, along with probably untrue claims of money to be saved by the use of electronic vote recording and counting machines.

The requirement is not that the outcome of an election be reported quickly (Senator Al Franken's first election to the US Senate was not decided until six months into his first term). The true requirement is that it be determined by procedures that are uncomplicated, transparent enough that nearly every voter can understand them and those with an interest can see that it is being carried out without obvious fraud (or that attempted fraud is reasonably easy to detect), and auditable for recount purposes. While it also should be reasonably efficient, many or most of the costs occur no more than once a year, and nearly all less often; in any case, it is likely that even neglecting capital and machine maintenance expenditures, electronic voting or vote counting equipment costs at least as much as administering and counting paper ballots.

6. Queasy Rider

Never

I realize it is a violation of the 'Never say never' rule, but I have never believed in the accuracy (read honesty) of electronic voting, and I never will. To me it is just a fancier way to stuff ballot boxes, with the added advantage that the average lay person can't understand how the cheat is achieved and therefore is less likely to detect said cheat.

1. Queasy Rider

Re: Never

P.S.

I have an acquaintance who informed me that a former employer of hers who, in order to circumvent campaign contribution limit laws, used to send checks in every employees' names to his favorite candidates. I tend to believe her since she was one of many bookkeepers for this devious man. And I got to listen in when some of the other bookkeepers got together with her and compared notes. Apparently that was not the only funny business going on, but nobody ever spoke up, even after the old owner died and new management took over.

And just to cement my confidence in the integrity of the election system, this now semi-retired woman now collects $200. every election working the local polling place.

<sarcasm> I'm sure this person (who once complained to me that she was wasting ink printing the whole webpage of lottery results, refused to let me SHOW her how to cut and paste only the relevant numbers into a Notepad file for printing) will any time now be reporting suspicious activity concerning electronic voting. </sarcasm>

7. lfinley51

Defend whistleblowers

Mr. Sorianello deserves the support of all who care about the integrity of elections. In one case after another, governments and vendors have falsely claimed that their voting systems are secure. I hope the Register will follow this story. If Mr. Sorianello is not promptly exonerated, pressure should be brought to bear on the government for attacking the messenger rather than the real problem.

8. Mike 16

Pressure?

If "pressure" and public outcry have not been enough to produce an investigation of the murder of Alberto Nisman (Federal prosecutor who died under questionable circumstances while investigating government ties to a terror operation, possibly with Iran), it is _very_ unlikely to have any effect in this case.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon