back to article Boffin: Will I soon be able to CLONE a WOOLLY MAMMOTH? YES. Should I? Hell NO

It will definitely be possible within the foreseeable future to bring back the long-extinct woolly mammoth, a top geneticist has said. However, in his regretful opinion such a resurrection should not be carried out. The assertion comes in the wake of a new study of mammoth genetics as compared to their cousins the Asian and …

1. Locky

If only

there was some kind of easily accessible media that would explain the consequences of doing this

But that would be just crazy talk

1. fajensen

Re: If only

Fire that shit up and see what it does. What can possibly go wrong?

2. PleebSmash
      1. Little Mouse
        Boffin

Re: If only

A fly might stray into the DNA re-constituting machine? (or maybe a tarantula / anaconda / venus flytrap / etc)

That would be pretty awesome.

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

As it turns out...

They have a taste for human flesh, and they can run a lot faster than we thought. Not to mention, they're bulletproof.

Our ancestors spent thousands of years living in fear, before finally killing the last of these ferocious beasts.

1. Nolveys

Re: As it turns out...

We were also surprised by their bipedal walking style, tool use and tendency to wear giant top hats.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

Revival is essential if the truly key questions are to be answered.

What parts make the best burgers.

Next I'll be looking for an answer to the question "Dodo egg omelet. Worth the wait?"

1. Gordon 10

Re: Revival is essential if the truly key questions are to be answered.

yea - and ship them to Africa so they can cook themselves.

2. Markus Imhof
      Pint

Of course. Cows aren't threatened by extinction, and neither are chicken. As long as the species is useful or at least tasty, it'll thrive.

3. chivo243 Silver badge

Say it with me in your best Homer Simpson voice "Mmmm bbq Wooly Mammoth ararrrrrrrrgh!"

4. s5PGmU
      Thumb Up

I'll take a McMammoth combo meal. And can you supersize it?

3. knarf

Let 'em loose in Russia

Might do some good to the environment there.

1. PleebSmash
      Thumb Up

Re: Let 'em loose in Russia

You don't say?

Pleistocene Park: Return of the Mammoth's Ecosystem

2. Unep Eurobats
      Stop

No, all that would achieve is blanket media coverage of a topless Putin hunting them.

1. Phil W

Or riding them.

1. CAPS LOCK

Or wrestling them.

1. Little Mouse

Re: Hunting / Wrestling / Riding...

Or poisoning them. With polonium.

1. Phil W

Re: Hunting / Wrestling / Riding...

Or sneaking them across the border the border into neighbouring countries.

No wait, they're just volunteer mammoths.

2. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

No, all that would achieve is blanket media coverage of a topless Putin hunting them....

Or riding them.

Or riding one bareback while hunting an entire heard with his bare hands.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Good - that depends on the definition.

Providing a viable meat and dairy producing animal for the far North of Russia, Finland, Norway, Canada and USA - that sounds good as an idea. However, that begs the question - why not achieve the same using Caribou?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

35 times the weight per animal.

4. TheTrouser

I thought Putin rode one to the Kremlin each morning - sure there's a picture somewhere....

1. Antonymous Coward

>"I thought Putin rode one to the Kremlin each morning - sure there's a picture somewhere...."

That was a picture of him carrying an injured one to the Moscow zoo

5. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Make it a government contract with massive opportunities for corrupt dealings. Call it Jurassic Pork.

4. Vinyl-Junkie
    Stop

Ian Malcom: But your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Michael Chrichton - Jurassic Park

At least someone got the memo...

Whilst I think (re)creating a mammoth sounds fabulous; you only have to look at the havoc wrought by existing non-native species to wonder if it would really be a good idea. You could probably control the mammoths, but what about parasite and disease mutations? Mammoth 'flu, anyone?

1. CAPS LOCK

> " but what about parasite and disease mutations? Mammoth 'flu, anyone?"

Learn 2 sceince.

1. Anonymous Coward
    2. chivo243 Silver badge

Glad someone said it... well done!

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"Ian Malcom: But your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.

Michael Chrichton - Jurassic Park

At least someone got the memo..."

...and he was far from being the first. Authors have always postulated situations and then gone on to discuss the morals and philosophy behind the alternative answers going back to at least the ancient Greeks. "modern" SF is probably the most obvious current outlet for this type of speculative philosophy dating back at least to Jules Verne or Mary Shelly.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really? Is that a serous comment? Or is it a joke?

5. tkioz
    Pint

Hell Yes!

I want to see what they taste like, the ones that the Explorer's club ate back in the 50s was suppose to have tasted awesome.

What is science for if we can't bring back dead animals... and eat them.

Beer because there is no wine icon (Red for Mammoth?)

1. Antonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Re: Hell Yes!

Of course!

To me this announcement smells like a ploy to undermine his rivals.

Huge PR splaff: "I could do it any time I wanted. I just don't wanna. Honest"

What are the odds that a Russian team is much closer and in the midst of a final round of fundraising?

( Definitely red for Mammoth. I'll have mine served blue, with fava beans and a nice chianti, please. )

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Hell Yes!

Dibs on the ribs!

http://www.animationsensations.com/original-hanna-barbera-limited-edition-cel-eds-mammoth-ribs

6. Vulch

Wrangel Island

Had mammoths living on it around 4000 years ago. By the time the last one died the pyramids were over a thousand years old...

1. Richard Wharram

Re: Wrangel Island

The Old Kingdom Pyramids in Giza at least were built about 2500 BC so 4500 years ago, not 5000.

The Middle Kingdom Pyramids were about 4000 years ago.

They didn't bother with Pyramids in the New Kingdom.

The oldest Egyptian Pyramid was Djoser's at Saqqara and that's still only about 2650 BC and that wasn't really a true pyramid. Really you'd be looking at the Red Pyramid as the first true pyramid.

Anyone for Serious Sam?

1. Grikath

Point in question is still the same..

The beasties were still around when "Mankind" had already progressed into "civilisation" ( and then some). Of course.. all the stone age megalithic sites in europe/north asia, many predating the pyramids, do, of course, not count as "civilisation". The buggers didn't write anything down after all, and being practically nextdoor they are less interesting.

Whether or not we should re-introduce an elephant species in its more-or-less original environment? Well, we're talking about the siberian tundra and taiga. The local insects wouldn't mind, they won't disturb the birds much, and the bears and wolves would love the extra protein. It may even give the tigers left there there a chance on a decent lunch. And it's not as if the area there is prime real estate for its biggest potential enemy: humans.

I'd say it's worth a shot.

1. PleebSmash

"Whether or not we should re-introduce an elephant species in its more-or-less original environment? Well, we're talking about the siberian tundra and taiga."

Pleistocene Park: Return of the Mammoth's Ecosystem

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The buggers didn't write anything down after all, and being practically nextdoor they are less interesting"

They didn't write down anything that we have identified as writing. That doesn't mean that they did not have some wort of written language. The Beaker People and their Bronze Age successors had a culture that spread across Europe. It might have depended on oral tradition; or it might be that they used something which wasn't that durable.

In any case, just because the last mammoth remains discovered were ca. 5000 years old doesn't mean that is when they went extinct. Scientists are usually much more cautious; it's journalists who announce that some part of a skeleton is from one of our ancestors, just based on the statement that it fits somewhere in with species X or race Y.

1. nagyeger

> or it might be that they used something which wasn't that durable.

Ugg told them and told them, if you want durable storage you can't trust it to spinning rust.

And as for those faddish crystal ball user-interfaces the girls loved, well, the batteries in them just don't last and then what have you got? Just a fancy paperweight.

3. Mark 85
          Flame

Whether or not we should re-introduce an elephant species in its more-or-less original environment? Well, we're talking about the siberian tundra and taiga

I won't work as they will die off from heat stroke, etc. Haven't you heard? We're in the middle of a Global Climate Warming Crisis (or whatever it's being called this week)!!!! And millions of school children collecting pennies for food drops and air conditioning their habitat and the Greenpeacers waving signs saying "Save the Wooly Mammoth" will be for naught.

Icon for global warming ---------------------------->

4. Burch

The Asian elephants (an endangered species) which would be required as incubators would mind.

7. jake Silver badge

It's not a "should" question.

If it can happen, it will, eventually.

Kiddies citing hollywood's hollow science not withstanding.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not a "should" question.

Crap! I upvoted jake. I feel dirty.

2. veti Silver badge

Re: It's not a "should" question.

"Should" is still a valid question, and it's independent of "will".

Personally, I'd vote no. In my lifetime, we've gone from holding intelligent animals in zoos in too-small cages, whales and dolphins in captivity, to allowing them greater freedom and an environment closer to their natural one. If the mammoth is approximately as intelligent as the elephant - which seems fairly likely - then what sort of conditions would you keep them in?

What would it be like, being the only one of your species? Mary Shelley didn't think it'd be much fun.

8. The last doughnut
    Pint

Get the muscle genes into a vat-grown meat process and churn out those woolly burgers I want to know how it tastes.

Friday beers all round!

1. The last doughnut

Two thumbs down - just what you need for eating a burger

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Mushroom

PULL THE LEVEL IGOR! WUH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

Yethhh Marthter!!!

We need an Igor icon. We really do

1. Red Bren
      Thumb Up

Re: PULL THE LEVEL IGOR! WUH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

Upvote for the Igor icon!

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: PULL THE LEVEL IGOR! WUH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!

After you've pulled the level Igor, pull the sloping Igor too.

10. Velv
    Trollface

This absolutely should be done, purely to see the look on the face of Creationists

1. choleric

I hear your point, but it's ethically wrong to do this from an evolutionary perspective. If the mammoths have died out then it's because they are no longer best suited to their environment. Other species have taken their place and it would be a retrograde step to bring them back. I think a creationist would argue for bringing them back on the basis that it's restoring the original masterpiece work!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"but it's ethically wrong to do this from an evolutionary perspective"

Evolution has no ethics, a fact recognised by Tennyson even before Darwin published his book.

He has Nature saying(In Memoriam):

"So careful of the type?" but no./From scarped cliff and quarried stone/She cries, "A thousand types are gone:/I care for nothing, all shall go.

"Thou makest thine appeal to me:/I bring to life, I bring to death:/The spirit does but mean the breath:/I know no more."

If we were to bring extinct mammals back with bio-engineering we would be doing no more than the tobacco plant, which produces a substance that modifies our synapses to create a dependence that causes us to grow more tobacco plants. Everything that can messes with other creatures' biology in its own interests; the only difference is we know we're doing it.

1. Fibbles

Re: "but it's ethically wrong to do this from an evolutionary perspective"

AFAIK the tobacco plant evolved to produce nicotine as a form natural pesticide. Humans becoming addicted to smoking the plant's leaves is relatively recent.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"AFAIK the tobacco plant evolved to produce nicotine as a form natural pesticide. "

If you read what I wrote more carefully you will note that I didn't suggest that evolution was responsible for the tobacco plant evolving a substance addictive to us. It makes no difference if it was a side effect of the evolution of an effective pesticide, the point is that it was an unintended messing with our biochemistry.

2. Allan George Dyer
            Mushroom

@Fibbles - true, nicotine production originally evolved as protection against insects, but this doesn't invalidate Arnaut's point, "the only difference is we know we're doing it".

Should we do it? Depends on the risk analysis, but it is probably easy to wipe out a large, slow-breeding species like mammoths than something that works on humans like myxomatosis works on rabbits if things go pear-shaped. (icon - "Take off and nuke it from orbit...")

2. choleric

@Arnaut the less

I appreciate your point about evolution having no ethics. It's intriguing though to think that if evolution is what got us here then presumably that's something we think is positive. So why would we bring back something like the wooly mammoth? Or is that the evolutionary dead end of analytical thought?

Your point comparing the roles of tobacco, humans and wooly mammoths was good too. I think though that the tobacco and the wooly mammoths are equivalent. The wooly mammoths don't have nicotine, but they look impressive/cute so maybe that's their evolutionary advantage. Looks like they had a good cryogenic strategy before we ever did.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I appreciate your point about evolution having no ethics. It's intriguing though to think that if evolution is what got us here then presumably that's something we think is positive."

I recommend the popular articles on evolution by Stephen J Gould. He carefully dismantles our idea that evolution is somehow directed or positive with a series of examples (possibly not for the sensitive of stomach.) I can't link to them because I only have the dead tree versions.

The idea that evolution is directed derives from the persistence of religious ideas, and our own belief that we are in some way the pinnacle of the natural order (that whole phrase is very suspect). It interests me that the brighter Victorian thinkers in England were already past this stage by the time Evolution of Species etc. was published, and so were ready for it, whereas human exceptionalism is still the order of the day in the US (except among scientists...)

If the extinction event of 65Mya hadn't happened, would we be here?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"So why would we bring back something like the woolly mammoth?"

Same reason we'd bring back the dodo, moa, great auk, aurochs, elephant bird, western black rhinoceros, quagga, cheetah, kakapo, pangolin, orangutan, tiger and any number of the innumerable other species which our wretched little infestation has/will eradicate(d)?

Although, "cos they're funky looking" and "in case they taste nice" and "to see if we can" also all strike me as perfectly reasonable motivations.

2. Antonymous Coward
        Holmes

"If the mammoths have died out then it's because they are no longer best suited to their environment" then they'll only survive in small carefully managed populations like zoos and reserves. So what's the problem?

3. Martin Budden Silver badge

If the mammoths have died out then it's because they are no longer best suited to their environment.

No, they died out because we stuck lots of spears in them. They'd survived all the previous warmer periods so their extinction wasn't environmental.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm alive!

Yeah you are, but sorry but you've got no mates, nowhere to live, most of the little monkeys want to eat you and you won't have immunity to current versions of diseases.

Anyway, got to go the buns have arrived.

1. James Cane

Re: I'm alive!

In mammals, immunity to specific diseases is acquired not inherited. And anyway, vets.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, but a huge chunk is passed from mother to child.

1. Antonymous Coward
          Facepalm

Its surrogate mother (cousin elephas maximus) will have perfectly current immunity. As will her offspring. Provided inter-species rejection weirdness doesn't necessitate excessive immunosupression during gestation, one might suppose.

1. James Cane

"Its surrogate mother (cousin elephas maximus) will have perfectly current immunity"

Exactly. I do wonder if people think that cloned animals are grown in vats or something.

2. swampdog
        Facepalm

Good job you know your punctuation 'cos the "anyway vets" new album is about to go viral.

[wtf am I on about?]

12. Chris Miller
    Alien

If we're going to terraform Mars, we'll need something to control the mammoths. How about a banth?

13. Joe Cooper

With all the wars, starvation, air strikes and cops chasing down broken youths for smoking the wrong type of cigarettes, it sure is fun to pretend that mammoth cloning is one of the great ethical questions of our time.

1. thomas k

@ Joe

Bread and circuses, man, get with the program.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cops are already 1/3 of a mammoth in body mass, so the programme is progressing.

1. Mark 85

The mammoths just eat more donuts then?

14. nuked
    Trollface

We might get a picture of dinosaurs on an Ark after all...

15. Warren Sealey
    Joke

Bio-geneticist joke

What do you get if you cross a mammoth with a octopus?

Vzzrqvngr fhfcrafvba bs lbhe shaqvat naq n ivfvg sebz gur rguvpf pbzzvggrr.

16. Steve Knox

Poll Misspelling

YES, I for one welcome our huge, woolly, tusky chums

You misspelled overlords.

17. Graham Marsden
    Boffin

Could I do it...?

- Yes.

Should I do it?

- Probably not.

Am I going to do it anyway?

- Of course!

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Could I do it...?

For Science!

18. 45RPM Silver badge

Anyone for lunch?

Look at the evidence. Take a trip into the country. Cows are everywhere. Sheep are everywhere. Pigs are everywhere and horses are everywhere. No-one has ever said ‘as rare as rabbit’ or ‘as scarce as salmon’. And why not? The reason is clear - it’s because we farm, and eat all of these animals. On the other hand, Pandas aren’t exactly common, we’re running short of elephant and rhinos are thin on the ground.

The solution is obvious. Let’s farm pandas. Let’s farm endangered animals - and, to make it sustainable, lets eat them too - and turn their hide into coats and shoes. Hey presto! No more endangered species. Imagine it - a night out on the sauce and you need a really big breakfast? Hippo bacon, with ostrich eggs and side of giraffe sausages. No more hangover.

Of course, the other option is to become vegan - and watch all the cows, sheep, horses, pigs chicken and so forth join their megafauna brethren on the critically endangered list. I realise that the burgeoning population of the world means that there might not be enough space for my excellent, and environmentally friendly plan - perhaps someone else could solve this problem though. I’ve had enough of thinking for one day.

And yes, Mammoth Steak does sound like an excellent idea too.

1. bjr

Re: Anyone for lunch?

They must have been delicious, that's why mammoths went extinct, they were hunted into extinction by pre-farming people. If they had managed to hang on for another 3000 years they might have been OK. The Asian elephant is a domestic animal and they are doing just fine.

Getting eaten by people is by far the best evolutionary strategy for a species even if it sucks for the individual members of that species. There are probably 51billion lbs of chickens produced in the US alone each year (i.e about 10 billion birds), I'm sure that no wild species is anywhere close. The best strategy for individuals is to become pets. By far the best deal was made by cats, they must have had a really good lawyer. They agreed to sit on our laps occasionally at a time and place of their choosing, we get no say in the matter. In return we agreed to give them a house, as much as they want to eat, and a comprehensive health plan.

1. Irony Deficient

Getting eaten by people is by far the best evolutionary strategy for a species

bjr, it didn’t work so well for the passenger pigeon.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Getting eaten by people is by far the best evolutionary strategy for a species

"bjr, it didn’t work so well for the passenger pigeon."

Yes, it seems the animal must also be easily domesticated, or at least have young cute enough to make humans want to domesticate it.

Look at all the livestock species: Cows, ducks, chickens, pigs, rabbits, etc.

All tasty, all have young that humans go, "Dawww!"

1. Anonymous C0ward

Re: Getting eaten by people is by far the best evolutionary strategy for a species

Well pandas are cute. The problem with farming them is they don't like f*cking very much.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

...The problem with farming them is they don't like f*cking very much....

Exactly the problem that farmers and breeders are set up to solve....

2. Burch

"The Asian elephant is a domestic animal and they are doing just fine"

Yeah...not really, it's an endangered species.

2. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

...The solution is obvious. Let’s farm pandas. Let’s farm endangered animals - and, to make it sustainable, lets eat them too ....

That's already been proposed, for rhinos. There are some very successful rhino farms.

These are hated by the environmentalists, who are trying to get them closed down. Because every environmentalist knows that the important thing is not the survival of the species, it's the survival of the environmentalists. And environmentalists WANT to have a load of cuddly animals on the verge of extinction - they get lots of grants that way....

19. NotWorkAdmin

I want to say no...but

"mankind was not meant to meddle with such things" I can't put my name next to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I want to say no...but

Isn't this a Pratchettism? "We're wizards, meddling with the fabric of space and time is what we do."

Now I'm over 60, and given the likely timescales, I'm beginning to have a touch of apres moi le déluge". Come on human race, you've more or less fscked yourself with carbon emissions, let's see what you can do in a bit of the small time you have left. It's too late to de-consume your way out of it, if there is a solution it's going to need science. You're going to need to genetically engineer just about all staples - if possible. Sideline the conservatives and go for it, because there isn't going to be a Rapture or a Deus ex machina.

1. Antonymous Coward
        Childcatcher

"...you've more or less fscked yourself with carbon emissions..."

What the hell have you been smoking? BBC?

1. PassingStrange

"What the hell have you been smoking? BBC?"

Probably the best thing to do with the BBC...

20. SDSmith

It's not about "what could go wrong"

We constantly advance science and do so at terrible risk in the areas of drugs, food science, physics and space but little is noticed. We get to genetics and that risk is somehow less tolerable because a few inventive authors have written trendy books that spawned a few movies.

ALL technical advances are a double edged sword and can be abused if not researched and handled correctly. We can look at our past and see how we had women painting radioactive chemicals onto watches....they died of cancer. Soldiers standing out and watching nuclear tests....not a good idea. Creating heroin and thinking that it would be a cure for morphine addiction. Testing LSD out on people just for grins and Cold War offensive potential. Bad things happen but, on balance, staying ignorant is FAR WORSE.

Creating a wooly mammoth could be just the right thing to do if it leads to a better understanding of the genome and how to control it. That research and the processes we discover could be similar to the discoveries associated with space travel.

21. JimC

But *can* we create a wooly mammoth?

I strongly suspect that you cannot create a proper wooly mammoth without a female mammoth to grow it in, or without the gut flora it gets from its peers and all th rest of it. Then there's learned behaviour from the herd and you can carry on. I suspect all you'd have would be an artificial organism that had a vague resemblance to a mammoth. No matter what the children's pictures of Dawkinsianity might present, there seems to be an awful lot more to inheritance than just the DNA.

1. PleebSmash

Re: But *can* we create a wooly mammoth?

We will eventually create human children without a proper human womb to grow them in.

As for the learnt behavior, you can try to teach them with robots or sock puppets, or let them start from scratch. Will they have any non-Russian predators?

2. Chris G

Re: But *can* we create a wooly mammoth?

Using Mammoth DNA with an Elephant surrogate might be an interesting test of whether or not there may be any inheritied behaviour from a long dead species, otherwise being a Mammoth teacher could make an interesting job for someone;

'Right! This is how not to run off a cliff when a bloke with a stick and a fur coat and a bunch of his mates are chasing you......

Also a useful way of turning Tundra into protein.

22. Fink-Nottle

> mammoths may have been led to become fatter and hairier than the elephants by a particular gene called TRPV3.

... known in the trade as the Demis Roussos gene.

23. Florida1920
    Headmaster

A little-known fact

Stonehenge was built as a playpen for mammoths.

1. PassingStrange

Re: A little-known fact

Stonehenge was built as a playpen for mammoths.

Quite the opposite. Fortunately, we have an interview from the time to tell us otherwise.

"Well, what is it anyway? A henge? Well, what's a henge? You may call it megalithic culture, I call it vandalism! I suppose you realise this is about the last nesting place for mammoths in the whole of Wessex?"

- Michael Flanders, "Built Up Area"

24. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

What a load of Dodos' eggs...

...There are many animals on the edge of extinction that we should be helping instead.”...

What's so special about animals that are going extinct? In case the scientist in question hasn't read Darwin, let us point out that this is how evolution WORKS. Species develop to fit an niche, then die away as that niche dies. Trying to stop extinction is trying to stop evolution.

Humans change niches. We are already responsible for several species going extinct, but also many new species developing, as we make new environments in which they can live, or breed them for a specific purpose. So questions about mammoths are moot - we have already done everything which has been proposed. Just not with animals that size... yet...

1. JimC

Re: What a load of Dodos' eggs...

> What's so special about animals that are going extinct?

Well, normally one would hope that new species would be appearing at roughly the same rate as old ones are going extinct. If Smith's yellow beaked gull goes extinct and its ecological niche is picked up by Jones' orange beaked gull that's a wonder of nature. But if all the gulls go extinct and are replaced by life free polluted wastelands the world has become a more boring place.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mammoth task?

Or am I just a dumbo?

26. swampdog
    WTF?

In the spirit of http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/03/lemur_impressive_plums/

I volunteer Pc ??? and PC !!! decades ago for knocking on my door 30 minutes after the road tax on a car I'd sold earlier that evening, ran out.

I could have done with that mammoth/lemur visualisation back then.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do we have to bring them right the way back?

What about using some cloned cells to make synthetic mammoth burgers? I'd pay over the odds for something like that.

28. PassingStrange

First rule of Mammoth club...

...If it can be done, someone, somewhere will do it. And not tell anyone until it's a done deal. And try to make a shed-load of money out of it, probably by trying to patent something key.

If we can at least keep the more reputable academics in the loop by doing it ourselves, we ought to.

29. x 7

They could be the key ingredient in a "Live like a Neanderthal" theme park. Hunt them with spears, kill them and eat them just like the Neanderthals did. Hopefully we could clone cave bears and sabretooth cats as well to make the event more interesting.

I don't think they're a good long time food resource - after the real Neanderthals ate them, and they all died out (or got subsumed into modern man....who ate grains and veggies)

30. Ian_B

Of Course We Should

Nature will be fine, and mammoths will be cool.

31. kbutler.toledo

Been there, done that ...

Author: Cordwainer Smith

Subject: The Instrumentality of Mankind

Only one (1) of the titles: The Ballad of Lost C'Mell

A must read, all of his stories and books.

Then go see this movie.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon