back to article Microsoft says Oculus Rift distorts world, grinds corrective lenses

Someone at Microsoft Research is apparently unimpressed with Oculus Rift's perspective on the world, so has corrected it with lenses that give you Microsoft's view of things. Redmond's vision is expressed in this little CAD file that's popped up at Microsoft Research, offering you all you need to give your Occulus the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cant deny

the MS lens looks far superior..

Did Mr Magoo do the vision testing for the Oculus??

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Comparison

The MSR lens appears to bring detail and a lot of pixilation...

The normal lens keeps everything blurry.

I am not sure that I would like either, but to be fair, one would really need to test these first hand... 2 small images on El Reg could only be considered as derisory...

I still wonder who will be buying into Oculus, will it just be the hard core gamers or are there other valid use cases ?

1. Not That Andrew

Re: Comparison

Well I've heard of architects looking into using them for architectural visualisation, but I imagine that would require rose tinted lenses even fuzzier that the standard ones

2. Lionel Baden

I was really excited about them when they were first announced, Then :

all the little issues that they cant fix, and don't seem too interested in fixing either, I wonder if this has anything to do with being purchased by a money making machine which cares very little for the product.

was also super excited about the hololens, but now truth creep about the limitations of either of the devices is putting me off.

3. AbelSoul

Re: hard core gamers or ...

I certainly couldn't be considered anything of the sort but am strongly tempted by not just the Rift but the various other implementations of VR/AR.

My other half has just taken ownership of a Note 4 so I may initially take the plunge with one of these beasties.

4. Kanhef

Really depends on the display resolution. If you can see the pixels, it will detract from the overall experience. A slight defocusing could help blend the pixels together without causing distortion.

The Oculus part looks disappointingly cheap. Single lens, rather than compound (which is probably why it has that chromatic aberration). The support ribs on the bayonet flanges suggest it's made of thin plastic, probably flexes if you squeeze the sides of it. Hard to tell what's holding the lens in place, looks like it could pop out fairly easily if you tried. In comparison, the Microsoft part looks more like my vintage telescope eyepieces.

3. choleric

Who is really in view here?

How well do these lenses accommodate the reality distortion field surrounding M$'s arch-nemesis? Perhaps version 1.0 adjusts Facebook's Occulus Rift, but it will take 3.1 to tackle Apple: "You're not _holding_ it wrong, you're looking at it wrong."

4. kyza

It doesn't tell us which model OR was the comparison made with, and while the MS lenses are clearer, what I'm seeing more than anything else is a ramping of the screen-door effect, which the OR lenses minimise by making things slightly blurrier

5. Stevie

Bah!

Distortion corrected in software? Why? Did we forget the hard-won knowledge of how to grind lenses?

Another "benefit" of the digital age then.

1. kyza

Re: Bah!

I'm sure you're being facetious, but here's an article on why VR HMD lenses distort the image, and why it is corrected by software

http://rifty-business.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/understanding-oculus-rift-distortion.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon