back to article Windows 10 Mobile is shaping up nicely – now Cortana can send emails

Microsoft has released Build 10149 of Windows 10 Mobile to members of the Windows Insider preview programme's Fast release ring. It follows just 10 days after the release of Build 10136, and this time round you can update from a previous preview, rather than having to reset your phone back to Windows Phone 8.1 first. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cortana now has the ability to send emails

why am I being worried? After all, MS will ensure that nothing happens without users' knowledge and FULL CONSENT, right?

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: Cortana now has the ability to send emails

Seeing as all the windows mobile users can fit in a phone box its a pretty good bet ms know who they are already.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Joke

Cortana can leaf convents

The hell chick is betting getter wiff egg relieve

3. bill 36
    Facepalm

oops

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella recently wrote in a leaked internal email about "tough choices in areas where things are not working

Using Coratna she said "send to Reg" oh *uck!

4. macjules
    Facepalm

Curse of Siri?

What happens if you ask Cortana about 911?

1. dogged

Re: Curse of Siri?

I just tried it ("tell me about nine eleven") and got a lot of Yahoo Answers and other stuff (web search results, basically) relating to September 11th, 2001.

5. andreas koch
    Unhappy

one last shot . . .

in the back of the head of the kneeling Windows Mobile.

And that just when I (and, it seems, a few other people) started to like it. Over here in Europe you can see quite a few Lumias out on the street now,, and Win10 would probably work in the right direction.

Pity that it will take 18 months to work and SN will pull the trigger after 14.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OS who cares

Does anyone care what OS they're running any more?

The things that matter are apps and the capabilities of the browser. Edge is a huge leap forward over IE but without things like 4rd party ad blockers or password managers it's a lame duck. Win10 may have Cortana and be able to do magic but without the apps that I use every day on my existing phone (eg my bank has a 2FA app that's only iOS and Android so even if I wanted to switch I'd still have to keep my Android, or pay for a token to carry around/lose)

1. dogged

Re: OS who cares

I care that I'm not running Android, mainly because it's Windows ME in handheld form. Slow, bloated, eats resources, criminally insecure...

This leads me to suspect that two trolls (see first two comments) who always smear Windows Phone as hard as they can are actually Android malware authors.

7. Shinku

It's improving, but still rough around the edges, apps still randomly don't open or close immediately after, things still occasionally crash or take forever to load, but hey, it's a preview build, that's all fine.

What isn't fine is the fact that I still can't run an IRC client and click a link in it without disconnecting from IRC and having the app close for the duration of the time I'm looking at the link I clicked. It's 2015, my phone is a dual core and yes, it "only" has 512MB of RAM, but it's unacceptable that such a simple task should be beyond such a complex operating system.

I want to give it credit, I really do, but stuff like that is a showstopper for me - ok, it's a mere inconvenience, but why would I put up with all those "mere inconveniences" which seem to stack ever higher when Android offers me what I need?

It's enough of a show of hope that even after my experience with Windows Phone 7 and throughout Windows Phone 8 saying I wouldn't buy another Windows Phone until they proved they could bring it up to scratch, I still bought a phone to try out Windows 10 Mobile on. It's vastly improved from my experiences with WP7 and I only hope it gets better, it would be unfair to say it's the same old crap, but I've been tired of saying "I wish it could..." or "Why can't it...?" for so long. Just make it work, would you? Please? To a standard that's acceptable in 2015? It's been 5 years since you shot Windows Mobile (a mobile OS which could multitask) in the face, 5 years of "we're working on it", "hang in there", "it's coming soon" and "we know people want xyz", 5 years of struggling to give you the benefit of the doubt and hoping that Windows Phone reaches its potential. It's even been 3 years (give or take) since NT took over as the guts, why so slow? Why the constant dragging out of improvements like it's a 20 year old product you no longer want to support? You're behind, and when you're behind you can't act like you're the market leader, you have to sprint, not dawdle, you have to be gunning for the top spot and working your balls off to make it the very best damn choice there is.

Look, I applaud the addition of the developer options, that's a start, I'm grateful that Zune is no longer required, I appreciate that Windows CE is no longer considered viable and that its much more powerful bigger brother has taken over. I'm even somewhat optimistic that universal apps are a thing now, and that there are opportunities for porting iOS and Android apps. Still I'm left with the feeling that I cannot be a power user with this operating system. Let me do that and I'll buy something more than a second hand test handset.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Very vocal and judgemental when you consider that you're commenting on pre-release software with Windows Phone 10.

Ever thought that your IRC client on said pre-release on RAM constrained hardware might be there problem?

1. Shinku

Yes, vocal and judgemental, because Windows Phone 7.x and 8.x couldn't do those things either, and there's been no word from Microsoft that the situation is going to change.

Do I expect an IRC client to use so much RAM that it can't run side by side with a web browser? Absolutely not. IRC clients have been run on computers for decades and I don't see why a modern phone client should be any more heavy than a modern desktop client. Given that my desktop IRC client uses at most a couple of 10s of MBs of RAM (including days and days worth of scrollback text) and next to no CPU time, even on a very low end device you couldn't expect that to impact greatly on the performance of the system as a whole, or any other lightweight apps which happen to be running at the same time. Even a browser should be able to coexist with that, be it IE, Edge or any other.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They forget about a small detail. No one wants to use it...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This:

"Nadella also spoke of building "the best instantiation of this vision through our Windows device platform and our devices,"

Did my language centre break down last night due to heat or is that just utter corporate bollocks...

Bad English corporate bollocks at that.... WTF does "instantiation" even mean??

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like