back to article Indiana Jones whips Bond in greatest movie character poll

Reg reader movie buffs will doubtless have an opinion on the news that Indiana Jones has been voted "greatest movie character of all time". The whip-cracking archaeologist beat James Bond into second spot in a public poll conducted by Empire. Han Solo rolled in third, meaning two podium appearences for George Lucas and …

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

What no...

Biggus Dickus.

1. NumptyScrub

Re: What no...

Harrison Fords gets first and third, he must be well chuffed :)

Personally I would have liked to see Hobo or Machete somewhere on the list, but thems the breaks...

2. Tromos
      Coat

Despite the name, he only had a small part.

1. g e

Francis Urquhart, without whom there'd be no Frank Underwood...

(although Spacey does Machiavellian excellently vs Dobbs' sociopathic elitist)

1. phil dude
          Thumb Up

Micheal Dobbs is listed as an Executive producer on the Netflix product, so that may explain the consistency in the initial stories. The end of season one on the DC Metro (in the BBC original it was from a building), was brilliantly surprising!

I too grew up with Francis. Spacey has had time to really gives the character some depth.

The brilliant placement of Frank Underwood as a congressman who went to a military academy in the Deep South...very cleverly done!

P.

2. Terry 6 Silver badge

Acherly

That all seems pretty reasonable to me.

3. GreggS

Indiana Jones? He doesn't even need to be in the first film;

from The Big Bang Theory

Sheldon Cooper: [theme from 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is playing] So, what do you think?

Amy Farrah Fowler: It was good.

Sheldon Cooper: That's it? Good?

Amy Farrah Fowler: I enjoyed it. When you told me I was going to be "losing my virginity" I didn't think you meant showing me 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' for the first time.

Sheldon Cooper: My apologies; I chose my words poorly. I should have said you were about to have your world rocked on my couch. Anyway, thank you for watching it. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Sheldon Cooper: It was very entertaining, despite the glaring story problem.

Sheldon Cooper: Story problem? Oh, Amy! What a dewy-eyed moon-calf you are. 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is the lovechild of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, two of the most gifted filmmakers of our generation. I've watched it thirty-six times, except for the snake scene and the face-melting scene which I can only watch when it's still light out, but. I defy you to find a story problem. Here's my jaw; drop it.

Amy Farrah Fowler: All right. Indiana Jones plays no role in the outcome of the story. If he weren't in the film, it would turn out exactly the same.

Sheldon Cooper: Oh, I see your confusion. You don't understand; Indiana Jones was the one in the hat with the whip.

Amy Farrah Fowler: No, I do. And if he weren't in the movie the Nazis would have still found the ark, taken it to the island, opened it up, and all died. Just like they did. Let me close that for you.

[gently pushes his chin up to close his mouth]

1. Spleen

Funny, but inaccurate and, more fundamentally, missing the point of storytelling. Inaccurate because without Jones' intervention, after the Nazis have opened the Ark, it would presumably be retrieved by other Nazis, instead of the Americans. Who would then be able to study it until they figured out how to use it without face-melting.

More fundamentally, Raiders is hardly the only story where the baddies are the cause of their own downfall, rather than the hero. A story is as much about the protagonist's "journey" as what he actually achieves. If Jones isn't in Raiders of the Lost Ark then Jones doesn't get to travel around the world and get his leg over. So of course it matters whether Jones is in it or not - it matters to him.

1. ratfox
        Angel

…instead of the Americans. Who would then be able to study it until they figured out how to use it without face-melting.

You haven't seen the movie, right?\

Top. Men.

2. handsolo

Ms. Fowler Was Wrong. Indy Did Make A Difference.

Ms. Fowler missed one important part when making her comments to Sheldon about the film. The Nazis would not still have found the Ark without Indy. They were digging in the wrong the spot, because they only had the information from one side of the medallion that Marion Ravenwood had. It was Indy that found the right location using both sides of the medallion, which he kept the Nazis from getting a hold of, due to his intervention at Marion's bar in Nepal.

1. Eponymous Cowherd

Re: Ms. Fowler Was Wrong. Indy Did Make A Difference.

But without Jones the Nazis would have got the real headstock (medallion) and dug in the right place.

1. Jedit Silver badge
          Mushroom

Which is another reason why Indy is important in the movie.

On the other hand, it hardly needed a huge long discussion to determine that The Big Bang Theory is unfunny moronic shit that grossly misrepresents every aspect of the subject and people it depicts. For that it gets the nuclear blast icon, from which it shall not receive even the dubious protection of Dr Jones' refrigerator.

1. Eponymous Cowherd
            Thumb Down

" On the other hand, it hardly needed a huge long discussion to determine that The Big Bang Theory is unfunny moronic shit that grossly misrepresents every aspect of the subject and people it depicts. For that it gets the nuclear blast icon, from which it shall not receive even the dubious protection of Dr Jones' refrigerator."

Errrm, please suggest a comedy that doesn't "grossly misrepresent" its subjects.

Oh, you want a "comedy" that accurately portrays the lives of physicists, IT techs (IT Crowd), hotel managers (Fawlty Towers), market traders (Only fools), A bunch of people in a pub (Friends, Coupling, etc), the Home Guard (Dad's Army), Irish matriarchs (Mrs Brown's boys), Space accident survivors (Red Dwarf), etc, etc, etc?

Wow. what a barrel of laughs those would be.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Good comedy

exaggerates Bad comedy misrepresents. Try adding Stepin Fetchit to your list and see how far you get.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Limited

10.The Dude - The Big Lebowski

Never heard of him. I suspect a result of the self-selection inherent in readers of a magazine voting.

As the self pufferynews item says " Earlier this year, Empire readers were asked a very difficult question: " so not really representative of the 'public'.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: Limited

Never heard of him.

He's the only one in the top ten whose primary activilty isn't fighting and killing people. The reason I rarely watch films is that these days they seem to be targetted at people with the taste and discrimination of ten-year-olds.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The reason I rarely watch films is that these days they seem to be targetted at people with the taste and discrimination of ten-year-olds."

...and considering the rich tapestry of films and TV going back a century (for films anyway), all the the "best" characters listed, both film and TV, are from outings in the last decade only. (yes, some characters such as Bond and Jones have a longer history, but I'd bet they won based on mainly US teens voting. I mean, FFS, neither Dave Lister nor Zaphod Beeblebrox even got a look in!

2. James Micallef Silver badge

"10.The Dude - The Big Lebowski

Never heard of him."

The Dude, is, like, well, The Dude, man. You dig?

2. Gruezi

This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The Dude ... Never heard of him. I suspect a result of the self-selection inherent in readers of a magazine voting."

Yeah, that poll would have been so much more meaningful if people who didn't like films had voted for the best film characters.

1. ratfox
        WTF?

Never heard of him.

Well what are you waiting for then??

1. TRT Silver badge

Just put the award... you know... over there somewhere. It might bring the room together.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Empire say 10,000 voters. Their ABC is around 150,000. I think 10% response is rated quite good in marketing so I suppose it's not a bad sampling...

4. Naughtyhorse

The duderino rocks.

and you dont have to watch the film, just recently jeff has metamorphosed into full blown dudedom

5. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Never heard of him

Clearly the results of the poll are meaningless, since some anonymous idiot hasn't heard of one of the characters in the list.

Nothing like an online forum for making egotism into an art form.

6. TrishaD

"10.The Dude - The Big Lebowski

Never heard of him."

Boy, you're about to enter a world of pain ....

7. magickmark
      Windows

The Dude abides!

That is all

5. Mike Bell

Shocking...

...that Homer Simpson made it in at number 3, and no sight of Peter Griffin!

1. Mark 85
      Coat

Re: Shocking...

and up until now, I always thought Barney Rubble was the best actor/character...

6. Bob Wheeler

From TV

I'd go for Dexter, fomr the show of the same name.

1. dogged

Re: From TV

Nah. Norman Stanley Fletcher, by a mile.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: From TV

I'd go for Dexter, fomr the show of the same name.

Nah, the better version of the character is in Dexter's Laboratory.

More seriously: While Dexter was entertaining, and Michael C Hall played the eponymous character with a nicely understated intensity (little gnawing of the scenery), I can't say I found the character terribly complex, personally. There are any number of characters in a similar vein that I'd call both deeper and more consistent over their run. Tim Olyphant's Raylan Givens in Justified, for example (and that show had a deeper bench of strong supporting characters too; Dexter really just had Deb and a revolving group of well-acted but pretty simple supporters). Or Jason Momoa's Phillip Kopus from The Red Road.

7. FartingHippo

Winkle-heavy list

18 men / 2 women

I suspect there are 1000's of pages of academic theses out there explaining why.

[and anyway, Claire Underwood is a better character than Frank]

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Winkle-heavy list

"what no [insert name], you must be joking"

[Insert name]? What's he in?

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"What's he in?"

Happy Days.

2. Warm Braw

>1000's of pages of academic theses

I think the compulsion to compile trivial information into list form has long been winkle-dependent: the history of Ian Allan Publishing is sufficient proof.

3. Eddy Ito

It seems rather easy, do a quick head count of each gender of the characters in most movies. Typically there are few females who play the romantic interest of select male characters. Hell even when the lead character is female (Tomb Raider, Alien, Snow White) there aren't many females in the movie. No, extras like 'waitress number 2' don't count.

8. Tim Almond

Empire Readers

Can't even pick the best Sherlock Holmes, who was Jeremy Brett.

I can forgive the absence of Niles Crane, but no Basil Fawlty, no Edmund Blackadder? No Eric Cartman? The Doctor? What are you all, 9?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: but no ...

Servalan?

2. Qwelak

Re: Empire Readers

Couldn't agree more, Jeremy Brett was by far the most accurate Holmes

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I thought Clive Merrison was an even better Sherlock Holmes, on Radio 4. Partly because I think "his" Watson (Michael Williams) was the best. A bit more grumpy and a bit less bumbling incompetent.

3. TRT Silver badge

John Steed. :(

9. Bob Wheeler

What about No. 6?

I am not a number, I am a free man

1. CAPS LOCK

Re: What about No. 6?

@ Bob Wheeler - You are a man of taste and discernment.

I recommend the Bob Peck version of Edge of Darkness to you.

Re: What about No. 6?

I recommend the Bob Peck version of Edge of Darkness to you.

There is no other version of Edge of Darkness. And don't you go spreading rumours to the contrary!

In a superb piece of BBC competence in the early 90s, they re-released it on video. But you couldn't have it one tape, oh no. Or in one box set. They issued the first 3 episodes in April, and the tape of the second 3 in May. Except sometime in April they changed their release schedule. So the second half didn't appear. Leaving me with a copy of half the series. I don't think they got themselves sorted out until December/January. I'm sure it was all part of a CIA conspiracy.

And I never got my 2nd free bar of plutonium either. How am I supposed to impress conference audiences now...

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

What about No. 0800?

I'm not a man - I'm a free number

1. Rafael 1

What about No. 911?

Oh wait, wrong comment section.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: What about No. 0800?

You cannot be free if you are not constrained by cords.

(Until July 2015)

10. auburnman

The TV list seems to be heavily biased towards most recent shows getting the most votes. With a few exceptions like Frank and Homer it looks more or less like a roll call of memorable characters time ordered based on their show airing date.

1. adnim

Something to do with....

the memory span of the average media consumer or indeed the average human.... It also explains why as a species we continue to make exactly the same mistakes.

I have a memory and wonder why Arthur Daley didn't make it to the TV list

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Something to do with....

Not so much memory as exposure. The readers of the magazine have probably never heard of Arthur Daley, the previously mentioned Norman Stanley Fletcher, nor Reggie Perrin, Corporal Jones, BSM Williams or Beryl and Sandra all of whom provided hours of entertaiment for those of us of more mature years. The only two to span time so to speak are Doctor Who and Sherlock Holmes. My DW and SH will not be the same as those who completed the survey.

11. Captain Hogwash

Some great suggestions from commentards

But the only character who impressed me so much as a boy in the seventies that I asked my mum to cut my hair like that was Spock.

12. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Gotta love the Big Lebowski

Well, actually The Dude was the little Lebowski, "big" referred to the rich guy with the same name, right? Or did I drink too many White Russians while watching the movie.

In any case, glad to see The Dude made the top ten.

13. Dabooka
    FAIL

Zero credibility in my eys

If Indiana gets #1 after The Crystal Fucking Skulls, then clearly it's being voted for by cretins.

And Breaking Bad's Walter White #1 TV? Will it stand the test of time? I'm not so sure, not like Columbo does....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Zero credibility in my eys

I think most people pretty much declared Crystal Skulls non cannon before it even finished.

1. Richard Taylor 2

I think most people suggested the application of a canon

2. Naughtyhorse

There were only 2 indiana jones movies, just like there were only 3 star wars's

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

There were only 2 indiana jones movies

Two? One and a half, maybe.

14. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

salvage

Trying to salvage something from two flawed (IMHO) lists, just for the heck of it try swapping the characters from each list with the movie/show in the other list and ponder the result....consider Homer Simpson as the captain of the Millennium Falcon for example.

15. 0laf

WOT!

No Al Swearengen?

Best tv program ever cancelled.

1. dogged

I agree, but that was a true ensemble effort. Lovejoy didn't carry it alone.

16. Mark 85

We're doomed....

Really.. Buffy the Vampire Slayer??? Really?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: We're doomed....

I'm happy with that pick. The character of Buffy Summers saw extensive development and refinement over the seven seasons of that show. Among the ten "greatest" characters ever shown on television? With no set rubric, the term "greatest" is pretty much meaningless, so it's a subjective popularity contest. But Buffy's a more complex and interesting character than some of the others on the list, and certainly than some of the others that people have suggested here.

Of course you can deplore the choice for whatever subjective reasons you may want. Without articulating a critical argument, though, it's just empty whinging.

17. getHandle

Wot no Maverick?

Ahem, I'll get me coat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wot no Maverick?

Wot, no Matlock?

Alert

Wot no Dangermouse?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I feel the need, the need for speed!"

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Wot no Maxwell Smart

"missed it by that much"

18. StephenH

Where's

Ferris?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why on earth...

...wasn't Gregory House on that list?!

20. ADJB

What about Tom?...... and for that matter Jerry.

21. Whit.I.Are

Batman in 4th place

Adam West presumably...

22. Fortycoats

And what about Jack Burton?

It's all in the reflexes....

23. Tom 13

I'll mark this as an F'ed up poll by saying

Huh. While I'll admit that I think Adam West did a great job with the roll, I thought on that opinion even amongst outliers I'm somewhat of an outlier.

24. Bill Fresher

No Frank Barone in the TV list? pah.

25. matt11

Special Agent Dale Cooper

26. Pedigree-Pete

What about

Jason Bourne

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon