back to article Tim Worstall dances to victory over resources scaremongerers

Tim Worstall brought together rare minerals, bacon and eggs, and his own interpretive victory dance in his battle to stop us all worrying about running out of resources, at our most recent Reg lecture. In just under 50 minutes, Tim covered the economics of resources, why you won’t find a Ferrari in a scrap yard, and just what …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

...jeans and a shirt*, though? SRSLY?

*of the kind normally worn with a suit jacket. I mean you can have a denim shirt. But I would have mocked for that, too. Oh, yes.

1. LucreLout

Re: But...@Zoolander

So he looks like a pound shop Jeremy Clarkson. And? Middle aged men aren't supposed to look cool - it just looks particularly sad if we try.

1. Tim Worstal

Pound shop? Good grief, I don't spend that much on my clothes. That shirt was 10 korunna in the charity shop sale.

2. Yugguy

Even middle-aged though there is the ability to look good without trying to look "cool", whatever that is.

1. NumptyScrub

Even middle-aged though there is the ability to look good without trying to look "cool", whatever that is.

The wikifiddlers entry for "Smart casual" dress code actually shows someone wearing jeans, a shirt and blazer in the sidebar, apparently Topman magazine thinks that that sort of ensemble is viable for whatever bizarre fashion reasons.

YMMV, of course ^^;

2. Omgwtfbbqtime
    Pint

Wish I could have gone.

But it was London, and a school night.

Plus the buffet was probably 90% gluten :(

Here's to the RegLectures going on tour. (Cider ftw)

1. Fortycoats
      Flame

Re: Wish I could have gone.

Yeah, catering companies don't really cater to coeliacs. The 10% was probably salad. But we're used to it by now. BYOB (Bread, not beer)

Mmmmm..... cider.......

1. Bloakey1

Re: Wish I could have gone.

Fortycoats wrote;

<snip>

Is that you Johnny Forty Coats or should I call you Mr Marlow?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is he dancing a jig because some university somewhere has come up with a really, really cheap way to extract metals from waste byproducts?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Open university called and they want their look back.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Holmes

The look

That's odd, because I looked at the picture and thought ' that's exactly what I pictured he would look like' - read into that what you will :)

5. Khaptain Silver badge

Vulture

Is that a vulture on the shelf in the top left hand corner ?

And no-one looks cool with a telephone clipped to their belt. Or at least I think it is a telephone, probably a Blackberry but I could be wrong.. ( Or is it a beeper)

1. Tim Worstal

Re: Vulture

Radio pack for the microphone......

1. Khaptain Silver badge
        Trollface

Tim did you really need a mike for an audience of 8....

1. Tim Worstal

More like about 45 in the audience.

And the mike was really to provide the soundtrack for the video. You an hear the sound change a couple of minutes in, as it moves from picking me up on the microphone on the camera to being picked up by that radio mike.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Mic pack for an audience of 8.

If even one of them is Deaf/deaf/hard of hearing and uses a T loop then yes

If you want the video to be usable then yes

If you want to produce an easy transcript then yes

If you are pushing the video/audio to another room for the other attendees, then yes.

I don't see any reinforcement speakers, so I think we can assume that the mic is there for good pickup for other systems - rather than to assist with his vocal projection

6. Slacker@work

Reg vision??

oh come on!! "Vulture-rama" is way better

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Reg vision??

...or Super Vulture Marionation

7. Alistair
    Windows

Send him on tour!

Those of us on the other side of the pond might want to jump in on the Q&A.

8. james 68

Duplicitous

NEWS!: Middle aged man speaks to room full of middle aged men and claims victory over science....with the power of interpretative dance???

A new low for theregister.

1. Tim Worstal

Re: Duplicitous

Can I use that as a blurb for the book?

1. Chris Miller

Sadly, some of us in the audience can no longer claim to be middle aged.

1. Thomas Whipp

It depends very much on what you want to claim... I'm currently 39 and holding onto "mid 30s" until my birthday. As far as I'm concerned mid life can be interpreted as anything between birth and death.

1. Yugguy

Is your name David Brent?

I'm FORTY-FIVE. I don't mind this age. I'm now old enough to be able to pour scorn on young people whilst not yet being decrepit myself.

2. james 68

Sure, at least then there will be something factual in it.

3. TheOtherHobbes

Only if you pay the market rate,

2. Olius

"...claims victory over science..."

The number of downvotes on your comment makes me sad for science and peoples' understanding of it (hint: It is a process of 'critical thinking' which states that if something cannot be proved, it is likely not true though may require further investigation, and that which can be disproved should be abandoned. It's not that hard to grasp why this is important. Coincidentally, it is exactly this definition that "proves" that economics is not a science.)

Come on, prove me right with some downvotes ;-)

9. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

I thought I'd clinked a link to...

HowToBasic - YouTube

"Dad dancing for beginners".

10. IT Hack

Scrapyards

Reckon there are....

http://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/results.asp?pgid=2&spg=68

11. Anonymous Blowhard

"He also gave every attendee a copy of his latest book"

Serves them right!

12. Hasham

I thought you was a fat bloke, Tim?!

Imagine my disappointment.

Never trust a man who eats sensibly and gets plenty of exercise.

1. Tim Worstal

Re: I thought you was a fat bloke, Tim?!

I was a fat bloke. And then the doctor told me that it would be a good idea to stop being a fat bloke. So, I did. As not doing so would precipitate not being a bloke at all.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Coat

What, the NHS are forcing sex changes on fat blokes? That must be against the HRA.

1. Steven Raith
          Coat

It's half the cost 'cos we've got a decent set of tits already.

I mean, fat blokes have a decent set of tits...

I mean, I need to walk to Sainsburies more often.

:-(

Steven "Big Boned" R

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

flab ≠ tits

1. Steven Raith
              Thumb Up

"flab ≠ tits"

Don't tell me that, I've got to have some positive accents on my unique physique....

2. 9Rune5

So it isn't a case of you preserving scarce resources, Tim? ;)

Love your articles, will watch the video asap. (apologies for being somewhat of a fanboy here, but I have run out of insults)

13. Wheels

Book not available in the US

Couldn't make it to the lecture. Tried to buy the book on Amazon but it's only available for sale in the UK. Seems that the Amazon electrons can't quite make it all the way to the US.

1. Jim 43

Re: Book not available in the US

It's just amazon.co.uk that has no interest in your money. Amazon.com would be happy to take your $6.99

1. Hans 1
        Facepalm

Re: Book not available in the US

What, he charges for his book ?? And people buy it ??? Oh lord ...

14. Graham Marsden

"He also gave every attendee a copy of his latest book"

Apparently it was a condition of attending...

15. DropBear
    Thumb Up

Issues of non-belief or (non-non-belief) aside, it was quite nice to see the familiar-by-now "I'm telling you we're not going to run out of stuff" assertion fleshed out a bit better than that. As usual, much appreciated (and highly enjoyed).

16. Sgt_Oddball

Oi, reg! Show us some love.

There's more to IT in the UK than London.

Any chance of seeing anything like this further north?

1. Shady

Re: Oi, reg! Show us some love.

More upvotes please. A blind wife with a frozen shoulder, an autistic son, a guide dog that's allergic to trees, a cat with a propensity for random violence if I take too long getting his tea ready, a neighbour whose kid needs a lift to cubs or taekwondo every other night, being on stand by to go out looking for a senile father-in-law who insists he can walk to Bridlington (from Nottingham), and awaiting an autism diagnosis for myself, all mean I barely ever get to stray from the confines of the Midlands. Jeez, even if you did a lecture in my local pub it'd be touch and go whether I'd be able to turn up, but I'd certainly make sure dad-in-law was lightly dosed for the night, at the very least.

1. launcap Silver badge
        Happy

> a cat with a propensity for random violence if I take too long getting his tea ready

Or, as we call it in our house, "a cat". The rest is superfluous.

Doesn't apply to all of the resident felinoid overlords though. Some are more prone to the "make pathetic squeaking noises and try to look starving" school of hominid manipulation.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"a cat with a propensity for random violence if I take too long getting his tea ready"

Put down the cat. Please.

Yours sincerely

Birds

Small mammals

Frogs

Anyone who might pick up toxicara from it and become schizophrenic.

2. veti Silver badge

If it comes to that, there's more to IT than the UK.

If Tim has time for a lecture tour, I'm sure there are thriving IT communities he could address in Monaco, Jamaica, Las Vegas, Amsterdam...

1. Tim Worstal

I'm up for it, the difficulty is getting someone to pay for the flights and hotels.....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Upvoted - I'd love to sit in on something like this, even if I do think Tim is a bit of a fruit-loop in some respects! Do please come to the Midlands sometime, Tim! One of the things I love about The Register is the variety of opinion, and the standard of argument when we're not all either making attempted funnies or taking the pee out of each other. It does one good to have one's notions challenged, and occasionally one learns in the process, which can only be a good thing.

1. Hans 1
        Facepalm

Upvoted, but I doubt Tim could teach me anything, besides stuff about his personal life for which I have absolutely no interest ... I now filter his articles, do not even bother to read them.

I think the Daily Mail would be a more appropriate rag for him to write for ... or maybe the Sunday Times? I dunno, any BS provider would do, if you ask me ...

@Tim, if you really think our resources are infinite, go and talk to the mayor of Miami who is spending millions of taxpayers $ to shift sand onto the beaches of County Dade - one example among a gazillion - only to see it dwindle back into the sea. Go do some research on why this is happening, when it started happening, and for how many centuries this had not been necessary. Tip: concrete evidence required.

1. Tim Worstal

I'm deeply unsure that tides and currents moving sand about is really relevant to a discussion of how much sand there is available to the human race to use. I'm talking about the latter.....

4. Sgt_Oddball

I will admit to thinking more northern still than the Midlands. And flights Tim? We're not that far away.

That said, flyings still probably quicker than the train. (heaven forbid you should need to go from Liverpool to Newcastle. Cattle class all the way)

17. Frenchie Lad

Bald

Undoubtedly its statistically significant the number of bald heads in the photos. Anyone wishing to guess?

18. annodomini2

"why you won’t find a Ferrari in a scrap yard"

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/breaking.asp

1. maffski

That's not a scrapyard. It's a breakers - because the parts in those cars are worth the cost of recovering them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like