back to article Airbnb beats actual posh hotel chain with stupidly large valuation

Airbnb is shortly expected to unveil a valuation of $24bn (£15bn), meaning it will soon be worth more than actual hotel chain Marriott, according to reports. This month, Airbnb expects to close a $1bn (£628m) funding round at a $24bn valuation, "people familiar with the matter" have whispered to the Wall Street Journal. In …

1. elDog

Oh dear - time to legislate this. Perhaps one of those nice trade partnership deals.

The chill is in the air at Marriott, and it's not just the air-conditioning in the rooms.

What'll be next? Perhaps airDrone - your personal airborne conveyance with no hassles from the security police at the airport, direct delivery to your doorstep. A few gotchas: travel distance limited to 10km or less depending on weight of customer and baggage; you supply your own refreshments and bug-wipes; and the toilet is built-in, no flush necessary.

2. Kubla Cant
    IT Angle

Storage?

I'm trying to work out why this article is classified under Data Centre / Storage. I suppose accommodation is, loosely, storage?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Storage?

Classification should be DOT.BOMB

1. goldcd

Meh

I don't agree with the valuation either - but then I don't give a flying-f over it, as it doesn't impact me.

Maybe the correct course of action would be to ensure that any significant investors of your money (in my case just my pension) aren't "unduly influenced".

Maybe we're both wrong. Maybe we're old farts who have no idea what's going on - but I do feel there's a backlash a'coming - Google & MS yes. Facebook, whilst I don't like them get a 'yes'. Twitter, Instagram and *splutters* Snapchat - RUN RUN RUN.

Not saying they're not good businesses, but can't see any way they'll ever make the money to cover their perceived value, without cannibalizing to meet a quarter. My contentious bet would also be to dump Apple - great products but the rubblings are out there (Pro - great but silly expensive, Macbook style has finally overtaken substance, iPhone nobody needs more - but world wants cheaper) etc.

1. Roq D. Kasba

Re: Meh

Alas it probably does affect you indirectly. Do you have a pension? Does your less-savvy sister? Your mother-in-law? With IPO's for tech bubbles being high profits for brokers, they will all be in sharpish, gambling pension funds. Don't imagine they wont - dotcom IPO's are crack to addicts.

Dorcomboomandbust1.0 crippled BT, wiped out Marconi (remember Marconi?), and hundreds of other investors. Now they are marching, rushing to do the EXACT SAME THING!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Meh

With IPO's for tech bubbles being high profits for brokers, they will all be in sharpish, gambling pension funds

This can be profitable for those with diversified portfolios - a bursting bubble redistributes real wealth to those less-affected by the bubble.

My retirement account provider offers enough investment choice that I can adjust my allocations to various risk categories pretty extensively. Barring the complete collapse of civilization (in which case my account wouldn't be worth anything anyway), I should be OK - at least in the sense of "considerably better off than most US workers", many of whom apparently have essentially no savings as they near retirement.

So while I think these "sharing economy" valuations are stupid and very likely a bubble, I'm not worried about my exposure to them. Ditto most of my relatives, who are either diversified or don't have anything to diversify. In other words, either they're safe or they have bigger problems to worry about.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Groupon was worth all that money when it floated as well. Some suckers are going to get burned here.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop it now. This is silly.

While Marriott have a lot of assets - lots of real estate in prime locations and millions of unstealable coat hangers - what does Airbnb have? As far as I can tell, a load of listings of properties owned by people who could easily up sticks tomorrow and list on Bnbly, Bnbr, Bnbify or whatever the next copycat will be called. Oh, and a questionable new logo.

Airbnb's website claims they have 1.2m listings worldwide. Let's be generous and assume those are all real listings for places that a sane person would actually want to stay in - and pay money to do so. That $24bn valuation works out at a nice round $20,000 per listing.

Marriott, by contrast, is worth about $22bn and has 4,000 hotels, putting them at just over $5m each. But then, Marriott could sell them all tomorrow for a nice bit of cash. What's a listing on Airbnb really worth? In cents, I mean.

I haven't had a coffee today so please tell me I'm missing something obvious.

1. getHandle

Re: Stop it now. This is silly.

ITS CALLED A BUBBLE!! DONT QUESTION, INVEST NOW! Or not...

2. Tim Jenkins

Re: Stop it now. This is silly.

"What's a listing on Airbnb really worth?"

£100 for tonight and tomorrow, thanks to the Dutch couple who booked with us yesterday, or about £1500 since March, which is nice....

Yes, of course they're stupidly overvalued for a software platform, but the business model works for us ; )

5. stoobthealien

Marriott mostly runs hotels that other people own, not quite the same as owning them!

6. James 51

How many bed rooms in No. 10 and Buckingham Palace? Could pitch a few tents in the grounds of the palace of Westminster. Lets see how committed they really are.

7. phil dude
    Joke

need android hotels...

A robot that follows you around , and turns into a room when you need it.

Perhaps that is what the VW Beetle Camper van is, when the spark that made Herbie work is isolated...

P.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> civil servants ... to use sharing economy solutions to book accommodation and transport

And of course as part of the Leadership-with-a-capital-L that we hear so much of, the Cabinet & assorted senior wonkers will be leading this initiative from the front? Or is it yet another do-as-we-say-not-as-we-do endeavour, seemingly designed to eradicate any remaining goodwill among the rank & file?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: > civil servants ... to use sharing economy solutions to book accommodation and transport

the civil servants, at least in some ministrys, are already forced to use a booking service that lets say aint necessarily the cheapest option (makes money for someone). Lord knows how long that contract has to run, so no economy solutions soon.

Not that the senior civil servants or their masters use it,Further a 30% pay rise for some senior civil servants x% of bugger all for the majority (pay peanuts... ) what does that say in austerity terms.

Anon, because guess why?

9. Grikath
    Facepalm

the new bubble, same as the old bubble..

They never learn, do they?

10. DiViDeD

Remember, Remember

Does anyone else find this eerily familiar?

Amazon, with their rented servers and a warehouse full of mouldering second hand books get a market valuation bigger than Disney.

AOL (remeber them?) get a market valuation that allows them to buy into Time Warner.

15 year olds getting feted by VCs and offered millions because they have a .com.

And through it all, people who point out the lunacy of all this get told by 'older and wiser heads' "Ah, but you can't see the big picture. We're all gonna be rich!"

Right up to the moment when the bubble bursts and the naysayers get rewarded for their insight by losing their jobs.

Been there, done that. And of course, when the much anticipated profit (which would rightly have gone to the VCs cos of the risk they took) doesn't turn up, those same older and wiser heads smile sadly and say "Well, awfully sorry, but your superannuation seems to have evaporated. Never mind, at least I didn't have to sell any of my helicopters because I had YOUR money to cover it"

Ri se and Repeat. Forever.

11. Schlimnitz

AirBnB are at least already making money (as in, users are paying directly), and have a business model based on selling something tangible. You can't say as much for Twitter.

In fact, AirBnB take money off the letter and the renter, so there's quite a lot of money to be made.

That said, as pointed out above, even though I'm a fairly contented occasional user, there's nothing at all keeping me from jumping ship to a new/better/different service. So I'd say they're overvalued, unless they've got something cunning up their sleeves.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much?!

I work for an online travel agency - a pretty big one, most of you would know who we are - and we have revenues of around $1bn. I.e. a bit more than Airbnb.

We got bought a couple of years ago. And let me tell you, it was for nothing like $24bn.

But then, we are not as trendy. And you know, we actually make loads of money. Investors don't like that it seems.

13. ThePascalLine

Let me get this right: from projected 14-15 revenue of £565m, with an operating loss of £94m, Air BnB expects to go on to turn around $10bn (say, £6bn) in 2020 – in just five years – making a profit of £1.9bn? From what? It’s like expecting windmills alone to make enough energy to keep the lights on: you’d have to puncture every inch of the country with them if you wanted that to work. By the same token, everyone in the world would have to become a bed and breakfast host if the company were to make that sort of money. An Observer Tech Monthly wet dream, no doubt, but this is, in the end, just a commission agency: ultimately, a parasite – and if the host decides it’s had enough, bye-bye business.

Mind you, If I owed 100 million+ to the Russian gentlemen backing AirBnB, I too would be anxious to flog the lot for 15bn before any, ahem, sudden and convulsive corrections in the markets, tech or otherwise, pulled the plug.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon