back to article Facebook Moments app NOT COMING to a mobile device near EU soon

Mark Zuckerberg may have bigged up Facebook's latest app release on Monday, but one thing was missing from the vomit-inducing, fluffy coverage around Moments: it won't be coming to Europe any time soon. The reason? Facial recognition technology is a key element of the app. So – given that Moments would be about as useful as a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook: The new big Brother

Forget about the various Three Letter agencies directly spying on you.. FB is certainly trying to be the spy in your pocket. All the TLA's need to do it tap the various FB feeds and .... [don't really need to say any more]

Not having a FB account makes me sort of feel safe from Zuck's quest for 'my life'.

1. bill 36

Re: Facebook: The new big Brother

You are 100% right so i gave you an upvote AC

But, i'm not afraid to say this.....I am bored with this social media crap. Everywhere you go there are people prodding away at a little screen...a FB update...taking pics in restaurants, bars, in the street, on the bus etc etc....upload to FB....ping,ping,..........oh i've got an update, excuse me a second.....

Its doing my head in.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Alien

I think you are trying to say...

Stop the world I wanna get off

I tend to agree.

2. Yugguy

Indeed. They even do at spectacular events like fireworks night. There they are actually at the event but watching it through a 5 inch screen.

RETARDS

2. big_D Silver badge

I agree with the first part AC, but the conclusion is wrong, as long as you surf the net or you have friends who are on Facebook.

My wife is paranoid about pictures of her being taken and whenever someone at a party, even a family event, she always explicitly states that any photo may not be posted on Facebook or the Internet in general.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My wife is paranoid about pictures of her being taken and whenever someone at a party, even a family event, she always explicitly states that any photo may not be posted on Facebook or the Internet in general.

Ditto - and I tend to be fairly direct and proactive in catching people taking pictures. Especially at events.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not having a FB account makes me sort of feel safe from Zuck's quest for 'my life'.

Err, no. That is the dirty trick that Facebook uses to bypass any of your objections: it will go to your friends. That's also how you can bypass Data Protection laws, they only apply if a company asks a user directly for their details. If they obtain your details from your friends, no real rules exist, there isn't even an obligation to tell you that they have your details (nor will there be, even though they probably know your contact details via the address book slurping of WhatsApp).

Going back on topic, your friends will be asked to tag images - you yourself are not required. At best this will result in " that person is not on Facebook yet, send him/her an invite?" messages.

In short, you feeling safe is simply because you don't know enough. Sorry to ruin that for you.

1. Detective Emil
        Devil

As El reg has reported, Belgium's going after them for hoovering up data relating to non-members/people who are not logged in. Allez les Diables Rouges!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Protection laws, they only apply if a company asks a user directly for their details. If they obtain your details from your friends, no real rules exist

That is, in the EU, grossly incorrect.

The person whose details are being collected is the Data Subject, while the entity doing the collection is the Data Processor and the entity legally responsible for the data is the Data Controller. Each one of those parties' rights and obligations are fairly clearly laid out in Directive 95/46/EC, which the national law implementation should observe.

If anywhere in the directive is a distinction being made as to the source of the data, that substantially changes the obligations of the Data Processor or Data Controller, including the obligation to notify the Data Subject, please point it out.

2. JDX Gold badge

Never knew FB had facial recognition

Probably since I'm in Europe (wonder what happens if we vote to leave).

Is it not even a feature European users can opt in to? I'd be interested to see how good it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Never knew FB had facial recognition

Never knew FB had facial recognition

Probably since I'm in Europe (wonder what happens if we vote to leave).

I bailed out of FB after testing, but AFAIK, FB has had this feature for years (as has Google, by the way, although they outsource some of that to local Picasa setups). It forms the basis of picture tagging, and as far as I can tell it works for EU users just as well.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Never knew FB had facial recognition

You mean the way it says "this looks a person, would you like to tag them"? That's not the same as trying to detect WHICH person, it's just like Google StreetView blurring people's faces.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Facebook? Tele-screen more like

I can't think of a more obvious real world implementation of the Orwellian tele-screen than Facebook.

4. Cuddles

Mmm, chocpot

"Moments would be about as useful as a chocolate teapot without the creepy tech"

Or, indeed, with it.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Mmm, chocpot

The reason FB is not popular amongst Reg readers is because it's geared around people being interested in other peoples' lives, rather than in their computers.

1. Warm Braw

The reason FB is not popular amongst Reg readers is because it's geared around people being interested in other peoples' carefully edited, airbrushed, primped, fantastical and hyped account of their otherwise mundane lives.

It's like a year-round version of the Christmas round-robin bragging letter.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

It's like a year-round version of the Christmas round-robin bragging letter.

Or a perpetual attention-seeking service.

I really can't believe that has happened to me. So upset!!!!!

Reply 1:

What's happened honey? Hope you are OK

Reply 2:

Hugs baby. Let us know if we can help?

Reply 3:

What's up darling?

Original Poster 2 days later:

PM'd you.

Original status is attention seeking to get a response, the replies are just nosey people who don't actually give as hit about the person but want to know what's up.

I've all but quit the Faecebook. Unfortunately a couple of special interest groups mean I keep a lttle toe in, but I'm working on that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Unfortunately a couple of special interest groups mean I keep a lttle toe in, but I'm working on that.

Doing some work with a Web 2.0-ish type not long ago (this is outside my rather more technical field) so first real exposure to them:

--- So give me your Facebook and ...

--- My what?

--- Ok, so just your GMail so that I can ...

--- Pardon?

--- Github?

--- Nope

--- Whatsapp?

--- I'm fine thanks, you?

--- HOW CAN I CONTACT YOU THEN?

--- Email?

--- Oh!

2. JDX Gold badge

@Warm Braw

Which is exactly what a nerd who doesn't find other peoples' lives interesting WOULD say.

Or... the quality of what you see on FB is strongly linked to the quality of your friends. If you don't like the way your friends act on FB, maybe they're not really friends in real life.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> peoples' carefully edited, airbrushed, primped, fantastical and hyped account of their otherwise mundane lives.

Or, as a friend of mine put it, "on Farcebook everyone is a hero".

It's notable that none of the actually interesting people I know are on Farcebook.

2. Cuddles

"The reason FB is not popular amongst Reg readers is because it's geared around people being interested in other peoples' lives, rather than in their computers."

Not at all. In fact, I rather like Facebook. It's a very useful site for keeping in touch with friends and family who don't live nearby, organising events, sharing holiday photos, participating in various groups and communities, and so on. The problem is that it's also useful for spamming endless streams of uninteresting and irrelevant bullshit, and many people don't seem to realise that that's not all there is. It's not that they're not interested in other people's lives, it's just that they don't care about getting updates on exactly what everyone is doing every 5 minutes.

This is why I criticised Moments, not Facebook as a whole, since it's focussed solely on automating that stream of crap. If a photo is interesting enough for you to want to share it with your friends, it's probably worth taking a few seconds to actually post it and tag it yourself. All Moments will do is increase the number of shit photos no-one cares about being posted, and no matter how good or bad you think Facebook is currently, that is not a useful addition.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like