back to article Apple seeks fawning 'journalists' for in-house 'news' self pluggery

Apple is hiring journos for its latest Apple News venture, a move that will presumably mean it is bringing some of the mountains of breathless product announcement coverage in-house. According to a job advert, Apple is looking for editors to help identify and deliver "the best in breaking national, global, and local news". …

1. dogged

Rory Cellan-Jones would be a shoo-in for this gig.

1. hplasm
      Happy

R C-J

Darn - beat me to it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/correspondents/rorycellanjones

2. AceRimmer

Rory Cellan-Jones and Stephen Fry could be the ultimate Apple dream team.

I've a feeling that these two would remain in gainful employment even after the iRobots have enslaved us all by helping to spread the good news to the world.

3. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Rory Cellan-Jones.com

as they hilariously call him on PM!

1. dogged

Re: Rory Cellan-Jones.com

Basically, Apple could hire RC-J and the entire Guardian tech-writing team (two fanboi bloggers) and job's a good'un.

2. msknight
    Trollface

I've seen all the series of "The Newsroom." Given the over syrupy tone of their releases I'm sure that should be good enough?

3. SuccessCase

"Not surprisingly, the ad fails to mention anything about independent journalism. So when news breaks about its nemesis Google's Android, or factory conditions in China, we can be sure Apple News will be scrupulous in its complete lack of coverage."

The Register can hardly throw stones. When one of your articles was asking for a fact checker to maintain journalistic standards and I commented that it must be to weed out the facts as on many occasions The Register couldn't resist putting snark before fact, one of your journo's replied that I was talking nonsense. I then replied cited multiple instances of factual errors where The Register had done just that (on my part without snark, emotional language or rudeness - it only took me a minute to find quite a few problem cases) and he censored the comment. Mind you I did then send a rather rude follow up comment but by that time it was warranted. Any journo's who suppress facts stated in an objective without personal insult or malice, are pretty shoddy journo's have a very weak grasp of the nobility of their profession. Oh and, hypocrisy.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mike Ash

He should feel grateful someone has noticed him

1. Handy Plough

Re: Mike Ash

Mike is anything but fawning...

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: Mike Ash

I don't know if his blog is running on an Apple-owned server including one where Apple took the company over; if it is then he probably already consented to whatever they want to do with the data, and an opt-out option is a courtesy that is not legally necessary. I don't know that for a fact, but it's how many technology companies operate, and Apple especially. The United Kingdom's Data Protection law may be different, but most likely the data isn't held in the United Kingdom.

5. Mike Bell

Drop the dead donkey

Yeah, journalism is a dirty business.

1. Otto is a bear.

Re: Drop the dead donkey

I can see it now, Damien crouching in a gutter in down town Cupertino, dodging bullets left right and centre, whilst reporting on the plight of poor saps duped into buying inferior (non-Apple) products, and having their lives fall apart.

Pan out to reveal man setting off fire crackers on the sidewalk.

1. phil dude
        Coat

and the mauled teddy bear somewhere in shot...

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Shameless plug.

If any of you haven't seen the full series of Drop the Dead Donkey - it is on 4oD and I strongly recommend you do so.

News nostalgia is an added bonus. Like watching early episodes of HIGNFY

6. Champ

The Sunday Times...

...has a few people on its staff that can just parrot material that they're spoon feed. If they need to move on (hopefully, they WILL need to move on), this gig might suit them nicely.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting conflict of interest in reporting this..

It is going to be interesting to see how the news providers react to this when this goes live (including The Register). After all, it's potential competition.

It will be interesting to see how independent their tech reporting will be (if the go that route) - there's quite some potential for burning their fingers there because neutrality os hard to achieve, and even harder to convince other people of ..

8. FrankAlphaXII

They may be doing this to have fake press conferences where Apple Employees are "journalists". FEMA got in some serious trouble with world+dog when they found out they were doing this at press conferences following some wildfires in California in 2007. I'm serious about that.

However, if Apple has a fake press conference it would applauded as something innovative from corporate communications. Compare to when FEMA did it, with the bad ol Government trying to fake people out before they put em on death trains. Gotta love people's fuckin' priorities and their level of paranoia.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Opt out

Isn't that exactly how Google News works?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"with an obsession for great content and mobile news delivery"

Obsessed by 'mobile news delivery'?

So a twitter addict, then?

Personally, I can get behind an obsession for great content. However, my version of great content and Apple's version will probably differ.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like