back to article Nokia to LG: You want our smartphone IP? Alright, you got it

Nokia – the bit in Finland, not the bit that belongs to Microsoft – isn’t making mobile phones anymore, but it’s still making money from them. The company will licence its smartphone IP to LG, the first such deal Nokia has done since selling its phone biz to Microsoft. It’s not the first deal like this Nokia has done, though. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia is now.............

a Patent troll????????????

1. dogged
      Stop

Re: Nokia is now.............

No. Nokia genuinely spent the money and did the research.

Also, multiple punctuation marks are a moron-indicator. Try to avoid them.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Nokia is now............. @dogged

Not sure about the use here, but using ellipsis (...) is perfectly acceptable use of multiple full-stops.

1. dogged

Re: Nokia is now............. @dogged

I think an ellipsis counts as a single mark.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nokia is now.............

A patent troll is a company that buys IP from other businesses (often failed), never makes any product and then tends to earn money by court cases.

It's a high risk investment business.

Nokia on the other hand has a good IP portfolio built from its hard work over the years. It was clever too, it only licenced its tech to Microsoft for 10 years, it didn't sell them.

2. Stuart Moore

Picture fail...

There's an Ericsson phone there! (with the flip)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Picture fail...

I know, that looks like a T28 or T29. Lovely, lovely little phone, with nothing on the market since that touched it for style. Even the Motorola V3 was big and charmless next to a T28.

Why is that these days dumbphones always look like refugees from 1999?

3. wyatt

Question is, are Nokia spending any more time or money on development/R+D? If not then it won't be long until technology moves on. Having said that, if the underlying theory stays the same, will they be a winner for years to come?

1. dogged

They're still working on the networking MNO side of things so I expect the patents will continue to flow.

4. john41

LG reception

My LG-G2 suffers from poor reception - maybe Nokia's expertise will improve this on future models?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like