back to article Boffins, feeling around in dark for Philae, lit up by bright spot on Comet 67/P

The European Space Agency has determined a "good candidate" for the location of its Philae probot, which successfully landed on Comet 67/P in November last year. Since then, the location of the spacecraft's final resting place has remained a mystery for boffins working on the Rosetta mission. However, on Thursday the ESA said …

1. x 7

no chance of it coming back to life - the Clangers have recycled it

1. artificial bitterness

music of the spheres

in that case I hope Tiny Clanger is singing duets with Philae.

1. vogon00

Re: music of the spheres

Good job the Clangers didn't get near Voyager, or we'd have to listen to a Tiny Clanger/Chuck Berry duet!

2. Chris G

Moon

Having just run the pic through my CSI Digital Image Enhancement Device (DIED) I can see that the bright spot is a Clanger mooning at the Rosetta camera.

It's definitely been recycled.

3. Dr. Ellen
    Alien

Oh so?

Deep Impact was the first Earth craft to land on a comet (Tempel I) -- for extremely emphatic definitions of "land".

1. x 7

Re: Oh so?

thats a bit like suggesting a V2 missile "landed"

1. Dr. Ellen

You were wanting a soft landing?

2. Grikath

They did.. briefly... before going "b00m!". Bombs land on target. Intent is everything: V2 landed ( albeit very, very briefly.), Philae crashed.

1. x 7

what you really mean in this case is that a crash is a landing you haven't observed,,,,,,,,but that's wrong: a crash is any landing you haven't controlled

now a V2 "landing" certainly was not controlled.....it was programmed but not controlled, so it was - a crash

now in the case of Philae the landing was controlled, but the controls went wrong so is that a crash?

Just to confuse the issue, don't forget one of the favourite euphemisms of the aircraft accident investigation industry- CFIT: "Controlled Flight Into Terrain". Not a crash because the aircraft was under control all the time. Until it hit the mountain......and crashed

1. Mark 85

By definition of aviators that I've known.... there's two types of landings. If you walk away from it, it's a "good" landing. If you don't walk away, it's a "bad landing". Based on this, I daresay Philae and the V2's had "bad" landings. My reasoning on Philae, is that there's been no communication with it after it bounced into the shade.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

@Mark - I thought it was happily transmitting until its batteries gave up? And is expected to wake up again, once it sees a bit more light? That sounds like a walk-away landing.

1. Mark 85

You're right.. news today is that it's awake. So scratch the "bad" landing....

2. Dave Bell

That rule has problems when applied to flying boats and seaplanes.

1. x 7

I guess "swim away from" works just as well

2. petur
          Boffin

"Bombs land on target."

Not all of them... some explode above land, some hit target below water

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Windows

some explode above land, some hit target below water

Some explode in the factory, whence we got ISO 9000 which is now inappropriately applied to IT projects.

2. jake Silver badge

As a pilot ...

Survival is a landing. Death is a crash.

The Boffins communicated with Philae after touchdown. Ergo, it was a landing.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

I see the problem!

"I have landed on Phobos and am being attacked by a Z-class cruiser. Think I can hold out until you come, but hurry."

(...)

Then K.15's ship stopped blasting. It had obviously exhausted its fuel, and was doing a little better than six kilometers a second away from the sun. K.15 must have landed, for his ship was now speeding helplessly out of the solar system. Commander Smith didn't like the message it was broadcasting, and guessed that it was running into the track of an approaching warship at some indefinite distance, but there was nothing to be done about that. The Doradus began to move toward Phobos, anxious to waste no time.

On the face of it, Commander Smith seemed the master of the situation. His ship was armed with a dozen heavy guided missiles and two turrets of electro-magnetic guns. Against him was one man in a space-suit, trapped on a moon only twenty kilometers across. It was not until Commander Smith had his first good look at Phobos, from a distance of less than a hundred kilometers, that he began to realize that, after all, K. 15 might have a few cards up his sleeve.

Arthur C. Clarke: "Hide and Seek" (1949)

5. x 7

BBC News just announced that its woken up!!!!

edit

and heres news from the ESA

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2015/06/14/rosettas-lander-philae-wakes-up-from-hibernation/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I have seen things you BBC people wouldn't believe"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like