back to article Using leather in 'leccy cars is 'unTesla', rages vegan shareholder

Electric car maker Tesla needs to turn vegan by dropping leather upholstered interiors or play its part in the destruction of the Earth, according to some of its shareholders. Talking at yesterday’s AGM, Mark Peters and his vegan wife Elizabeth Farrell Peters – both Tesla fans who took a financial punt on the government- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vegans

The jackbooted foot soldiers of the vegetarian world. Seriously, I once made the mistake of wondering into a vegan shoe shop, in a leather jacket. I don't think I've ever received many dirty looks!

Anon, as a vegan might shoot me (if he can summon the energy to pick up the gun).

1. Laura Kerr

Jackboots

Vegans don't wear jackboots, as they're made of leather. They wear rope jacksandals with wooden soles, man.

Anyway, isn't the faux leather she's espousing made from plastic? Which comes from, err, oil.

1. ian 22

Re: Jackboots

And do they really know how many vinyls have to die to upholster their Tesla?

Don't have a cow, man!

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
          Trollface

Actually, do have a cow man!

2. Rick Brasche

sadly the Naugas were driven into extinction during the 70's so they aren't a viable replacement

1. Master Rod

What did you expect? Nauga hide was made from baby Naugas. Peta was pissed.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not just plakkie coming from oil but what about the impact the oil industry and plastic manufacuring on wildlife? Birds fried in flares, habitat destruction, plastic waste, estrogen mimics, and on and on. Nope, gimme good ol' sustainable leather (and the odd burger) any time.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Go vegan!

1. Master Rod

To hell actually.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Top Gear most-applicable phrase of the day...

"Peeled cows"

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Vegans

can I get my car seats made out of leather made from the skins of vegans?

4. mafoo
      Coat

Plastic isn't vegan

As plastic is made from oil which is made of the decomposed bodies of marine invertebrates. Therefore its an animal product.

And while we're at it you could also argue that most organic foods aren't vegan either as they are generally fertilised with dung and blood & bone mix.

I'd tell them to get down from their high horses, but they would point out they don't believe in the subjugation of animals.

But no doubt we can have a hemp fiber car with woven bamboo upholstery soon.

5. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

What do you call a vegetarian?

Prey.

2. Ben Rose
    Megaphone

and the electricity?

She does realise that, until they clean up their electricity grid, the whole car is pretty pointless anyway?

Sure, EVs can reduce "local" emissions, but that depends where you live. If you live next to a coal power station, EVs are only going to make your air dirtier.

Yes, I know, superchargers, solar panels etc...but these in no way offset the total electricity consumption of the nation. The target has to be for total green electricity generation to exceed total electricity usage. EVs only add to electricity usage so take us further away from that goal.

1. Steve Todd

Unless your grid is entirely coal based

You're still better off with electric power. Plus as your grid improves so does your electric car. IC powered cars only ever get worse as they age.

1. Tom 38

Re: Unless your grid is entirely coal based

IC powered cars only ever get worse as they age.

It's not like batteries and bearings don't degrade.

2. Ben Rose
        Megaphone

I'm not sure where you get that claim from, it's a bit myopic.

Electricity grids are based on supply and demand. Each day, the renewable sources (wind/solar/hydro) produce as much electricity as they can. It's pretty much free to produce so they sell as much of it as they can - although it can still oddly make financial sense to put the brake on a wind turbine at times.

Any remaining electricity requirements have to be filled from nuclear, gas and coal. These are more "on-demand" producers and can turn up and down as required, especially in the case of gas.

If you plug in your electric car, more electricity is needed on the grid. The _only_ way to fill this gap is to burn more fossil fuel. No exceptions.

As the grid improves, as does the carbon footprint of everything. Oddly, even IC powered cars get greener with the grid.

EVs will have their moment, but we're still decades away. All the current generation of EVs will be in the recycling bin long before it arrives and we'll wish we'd saved all those heavy metal batteries for when they were actually useful.

1. Stevie

All that is irrelevant blither unless your power supply infrastructure can guarantee to keep the power on and at full demand capacity 100% of the time.

Mine can't even keep the power on during a hot summer without sudden blackouts. What good is making everyone get electric cars if the sodding power capacity isn't even up to snuff before you start adding their load to the sums?

2. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

"...more electricity is needed on the grid. The _only_ way to fill this gap is to burn more fossil fuel. No exceptions."

Well, except for hydro. They can open and close the gates to make more or less power on-demand. Not exactly instantaneous, but certainly within minutes. Obviously faster reaction time than coal.

By way of example, Canada's grid is 65% hydro.

Disclaimer: I still think Tesla's cars are green-hogwash.

1. JustNiz

You forgot nuclear, solar, wind farms and wave farms.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Nuclear is the only one with long-term viability.

That's because the next-generation MSR designs are highly throttleable, so they can be used to provide backing capacity to the other three OR provide baseload and throttle up to handle peaks.

As they'll only make money when run in the latter mode, expect enercos to start refusing to allow uncontrolled installations to interconnect.

2. James Cane

Re: and the electricity?

An electric car is still more efficient than one with an engine, essentially because a power station's turbine generators are about twice as efficient as internal combustion engines.

So even if the grid was entirely coal, electric cars would represent a CO2 emissions reduction.

And on average, the power grid is much less than 100% coal.

Why? Because power stations capture and use much more of their heat. Engines only really use the mechanical power of the exhaust gases from combustion and discard the heat.

1. James Cane

One thumb down already? What did I say that was incorrect?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

No downvote from me, but someone might have been a bit miffed that you forgot to mention all the transmission and conversion losses between the car and the power plant. They do even up the balance somewhat.

1. James Cane

The power losses don't actually balance up. They come out ahead. Google it.

Transmission power losses are surprisingly small, even if you're charging and discharging a battery. And electric motors are really astonishingly efficient (something like 80-90% - way more than is even theoretically possible from a combustion engine).

Why do people assume that these things balance? They don't.

2. tgm

You said nothing wrong.

A car that runs *entirely* on coal has an MPGghg of 30, which is better than the average petrol car.

See http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/legacy/assets/documents/clean_vehicles/electric-car-global-warming-emissions-report.pdf for more info...

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

You forgot to say that coal has a higher carbon/hydrogen ratio than petrol. Per calorie of heat produced it will emit more CO2.

4. Adam 1

I didn't down vote, but I will point out that coal != coal. And coal power generator != coal power generator. There are huge differences between black and brown coal and newer plants are much cleaner than older designs.

For example, your Nissan leaf plugged into a wall in Victoria (Australia) emits more than a Land Cruiser.

That is not to argue against progress as the balance can easily change once a few plants are decommissioned.

1. James Cane

No, a Leaf doesn't emit more than a Landcruiser. Even in Victoria. Unless Australia is using wilfully poor power plant designs.

It *may* be dirtier, in terms of non-CO2 emissions. I don't have data on that and coal is nasty stuff. But in terms of CO2 emissions, it will be significantly better, even powered from coal.

I know I'm banging a drum here. It's not that I'm pro-electric cars - I am the former owner of a Mazda RX-8 - it's just that it upsets me to see people misunderstanding basic physics, and then using that misunderstanding as the basis for an argument.

1. Adam 1

The physics say that brown coal is about 3x more emissions intensive than black coal, and 25% of their power comes from a station that was ranked worst in the industrialised world (1.74 short ton/MWHr).

Transmission, charging and operating efficiencies of electric cars leave ICE efficiency for dead though.

2. James Cane

People just assume this shit without checking it.

Generating electricity and using it to power a motor is more efficient than internal combustion.

The electric transmission losses, the losses when charging and discharging the battery, and the losses in the electric motor are really pretty small and don't cancel out the massive gain from using what is basically a heat engine to generate the electricity in the first place.

Combustion engines can only use the mechanical component of the power produced from burning oil, but have to throw away the heat. Generators use the heat, and there's far more of that produced.

It's not a question of car engines being badly designed (they're not - modern combustion engines are marvels of efficiency and design). It's a question of fundamental physics. A generator is always going to be much, much more efficient.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

"An electric car is still more efficient than one with an [petrol/diesel] engine..."

Except where it matters: cost, and the embodied resources that the cost represents.

The Nissan Leaf e-car is MORE THAN TWICE the cost of the petrol engine car upon which it is based. $32k vice about $14k Cdn. This 2x cost is either profiteering (no), or a reflection of the resources embodied at manufacture (yes).

The Leaf will *never* dig itself out of the environmental hole it finds itself in at birth.

1. James Cane

Cost as a proxy for embedded energy and physical resources? That's a novel misunderstanding of economics.

By that reckoning, software should be free.

1. R Callan

Do mean it's not? When I bought this (white box even though it's brown) machine many years ago the saving was NZ$169 through not having any MS ware on it. The software has been upgraded many times, including going from 32 bit to 64 bit for a total outlay of ummm nothing.

Long live free software ot to quote Charles "it is a far, far better thing I do ".

1. James Cane

I, my house, and my mortgage can vouch for the fact that software is not free. I am paid quite well for it.

2. JeffyPoooh
            Pint

"By that reckoning, software should be free."

If it wrote itself, yes. Otherwise your counterpoint is nonsense.

Cost *is* a reasonable first approximation to the embodied resources. It's not perfect, but there's nothing better.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"$32k vice about $14k Cdn. This 2x cost is either profiteering (no), or a reflection of the resources embodied at manufacture (yes).

The Leaf will *never* dig itself out of the environmental hole it finds itself in at birth."

...I think you described an economic hole (i.e. new technology generally costs more for a bit), rather than an environmental hole.

There are many studies available on the whole-life-energy-consumption of a car, and it's use far outweighs it's production and transportation during manufacturing.

It's fine to have an opinion, but don't try to dress it up with made-up "facts".

1. JeffyPoooh
            Pint

"...and it's use far outweighs it's production..."

1) It's 'its'.

2) If the Leaf earned back its cost, nobody would buy a Versa.

The 2nd clear example is the evil planet-killing Prius. Documented to be worse than almost any other car.

PS: There are marketing "studies" emitted by those selling these things. You need to be a bit more skeptical.

4. Ben Rose
        Megaphone

@James Cane - Re: and the electricity?

Hi James, I downvoted. I explain why.

Firstly, as Graham pointed out, you failed to take into account transmission losses etc. Even charging losses local to the vehicle are quite significant.

Secondly, it's not all about efficiency. Sure, ICE engines aren't massively efficient, we know that, that's why we'd like to replace them all with EV's - WHEN THE GRID IS CLEAN.

At the moment, ICE engines are wasting petrol and diesel. Recent fuel prices confirm we have plenty of that for a while. However, inefficiencies in an EV waste electricity...wasting that means burning more coal than you need as I outlined above.

The biggest inefficiency in an EV, as supporters always try and gloss over, is the heater. The irony is, all that waste heat in an ICE car isn't waste...it can be used. It heats the cold, it defrosts the windscreen and saves you having to sit there in an anorak on a cold day.

Simply using the heater in the same way you would on an ICE car can reduce EV range from ~100 miles in Summer to ~60 miles in winter. That's a 40% reduction.

EV manufacturers combat this by allowing pre-heating when connected to the charging cable. Your car gets heated by using electricity directly from the grid, not the battery. This isn't taken into account on any efficiency figures and would totally void figures like the 30mpg equivalent quoted by somebody above. In cars like the leaf they are trying heat pumps, seat heaters and other techniques to help the situation but, ultimately, it uses a shed load of electricity to keep the car comfortable for its occupants whereas an ICE car is effectively heated at no additional cost.

1. Charles 9

Re: @James Cane - and the electricity?

OK, so EV stinks in polar latitudes. But what about tropical latitudes and arid areas where the heat from the IC engine works AGAINST the air conditioner, which has to route air intakes from outside the HOT engine (thus reducing airflow efficiencies)?

Here's another thought. If IC engines were so bad in terms of efficiency, why haven't more cars gone the IC/electric route, using the engine as an electric generator and powering electric motors and so on like that (removing the transmission losses and enabling you to use the IC as a heat engine to improve efficiency)?

3. Dan Paul

Still hear the...

screaming of the lambs Clarisse? Oops I mean Farrell.

4. mad physicist Fiona

Hmm let's think about this...

Leather: renewable byproduct of providing the world's population with the protein it needs to survive.

Leather knock-off: plastic from the petrochemicals industry and indirectly a byproduct of fossil fuel production.

I think I know where I would put the green money.

1. Tom 7

Re: Hmm let's think about this...

Leather (well good leather) last for years too - and when it breaks down its almost completely organic.

When plastic breaks down (when you leave the shop) after its choked the land and the seas its often quite toxic.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Are they (the vegans) advocating that the world actually *wastes* the leather that comes off the back of our food supplies? Now that *would* be a crime.

If we raise and slaughter an animal for food, we at least owe it the respect to make use of every piece of it and not just dump it.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. MJI Silver badge

And how much seaweed and beansprouts can you grow on a Welsh or Cumbrian hill farm?

1. Dazed and Confused

I'm not so sure about the Welsh hillsides, I don't know them quite as well, But if you take sheep farming off the Lakeland hills you will totally destroy the environment we all love so much. It ain't natural. They look like because of the sheep. Oh the hills would still be there, but the flora would change for ever. It was for this reason that the Cumbrian hill sheep were saved from the foot and mouth cull.

2. Graham Marsden

@Sir Runcible Spoon - Re: Hmm let's think about this...

> If we raise and slaughter an animal for food, we at least owe it the respect to make use of every piece of it and not just dump it.

They're probably part of PETA who have the aim of converting the world to (at least) vegetarianism and (preferably) veganism.

One of their methods is to try to stop people using or wearing leather which is intended to make the beef industry less cost effective, pushing the price up and thereby forcing people to switch to veggie alternatives...

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oddly Vegans aren't Green

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I didn't realise all these other car manufacturers had so many problems with their products basically disintegrating immediately after they are sold. Ha! I expect they'll soon be out of business.

Also, you may not be aware but all vehicles have to go through some pretty rigorous recycling processes at "end-of-life" these days. Pretty sure it doesn't end up in the sea, though obviously lots of plastic does (this is mainly plastic waste from consumable goods, not durable goods).

1. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

Re. plastic in the sea...

A large fraction is old fishing gear.

2. sabroni Silver badge

Re: providing the world's population with the protein it needs to survive.

Meat isn't the most efficient way of utilising land to produce protein for humans. Even given the need to eat multiple vegetable protein sources in one meal to get a balance doesn't make meat more efficient.

There's no real reason a car needs leather as any part of it, other than the fact people like it.

Vegans aren't all mental. The production of cows milk is arguably much crueller than meat production.

Must be nightmare deciding who to deride the most, the freaky vegans or the mental e-car drivers...

1. Shades
        Trollface

"Meat isn't the most efficient way of utilising land to produce protein for humans. "

But it is the tastiest!

1. Stig2k

"Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!"

2. Tom 7

"Meat isn't the most efficient way of utilising land to produce protein for humans. "

Actually in some places it is. You'll get something from a mountain top from goats and sheep. And ditto for a lot of land that is marginal. The broads used to produce more food as 'foetid marshes' in the form of eels (Ely cathedral was paid for with them), ducks and water reed roots than any modern farming method can.

Nature has a remarkably efficient way of filling areas of land with a combination of plants and animals - and insects which should be eaten too - and, while it currently wont make a flavourless, nutrition-less white loaf for the market as cheaply as modern farming methods as food prices rise we will be ditching the tractor for slightly more man-power hungry methods of growing more food than monocultures can.

1. Mr. Byte

Steam Power

...yeah, laugh. It's been around what, 400 years, it's a perfected technology. It's possible to make them small enough to fit under the hood of a Spitfire, and fire them off kerosene or used veggie oil.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Captain DaFt

"I prefer tofu"

Bury him, he's already dead.

2. MJI Silver badge

Tofu

Just looked that up

Soya bean cheese!

Pass me the British steak please!

2. MJI Silver badge

Hill farms, meat on these is most efficient

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. h4rm0ny

It would certainly be nice to have the choice as a vegetarian of a high-end car without leather seats being obligatory.

1. Captain DaFt

"It would certainly be nice to have the choice as a vegetarian of a high-end car without leather seats being obligatory."

Because obviously, as a vegetarian, you're appalled at utilising an animal (yourself, walking) as a mode of transportation. eh?

1. h4rm0ny

>>"Because obviously, as a vegetarian, you're appalled at utilising an animal (yourself, walking) as a mode of transportation. eh?"

No, not really.

2. Schlimnitz

Well yes, absolutely, but covering that desire behind a completely fallacious argument about being more environmentally friendly is what is drawing the ire here.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The production of cows milk is arguably much crueller than meat production

Modern dairy farms work on the principle that once cows are producing milk they want to be milked. They don't need to be rounded up and forced to go to the parlour. They'll just walk their of their own volition when they're ready and they'll go and stand on the platform for the robot to pop the milking machine on. Then they'll walk back to where the food is. This isn't like turkeys voting for Christmas.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: The production of cows milk is arguably much crueller than meat production

Every leather seat made is another cow not pumping methane into the atmosphere. Leather seats should be mandatory, for the sake of the climate!

6. Graham Dawson Silver badge
        Coat

@sabroni Re: providing the world's population with the protein it needs to survive.

Others have pointed it out, but it's worth repeating: most meat animals are kept on marginal lands that wouldn't be suitable for crop farming. Cows and sheep are the most efficient way of turning otherwise inedible grasses into food and they turn it into a form that is most easily processed by our bodies, as it's pretty much in the form we need it to be in already - proteins, fats, vitamins. Got to get that lovely offal down your throat too. You barely need to do anything to digest it.

Now you could argue the point on factory-farmed piggies, which don't live particularly nice lives at the best of times, but free-range piggies raised on the crap we throw out are particularly delicious, and given they consume a great deal of waste food that would otherwise be dumped (and the occasional farmer) they're good for the environment as well.

For the record I was raised out in rural derbyshire and lived close enough to farms to know what a mess an animal makes when you cut it open. That sort of visceral knowledge either turns you veggie or completely inures you to the whole thing. Fortunately for my tastebuds I soon came to the conclusion that piggies are at their best when they're sliced and smoked.

Yum.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: @sabroni providing the world's population with the protein it needs to survive.

"For the record I was raised out in rural derbyshire and lived close enough to farms to know what a mess an animal makes when you cut it open. That sort of visceral knowledge either turns you veggie or completely inures you to the whole thing. Fortunately for my tastebuds I soon came to the conclusion that piggies are at their best when they're sliced and smoked."

Have you ever noticed that most vegans and vegetarians tend to be city dwellers? It must be the disconnect from nature that produces such an aseptic mind set.

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: piggies are at their best when they're sliced and smoked.

I know that this is sacrilege, and here at El'Reg probably counts as heresy, but...

Now until recently I'd have agreed with you totally.

But have you tasted the sausages from my local little piggy farm?

7. Captain DaFt

"Meat isn't the most efficient way of utilising land to produce protein for humans. Even given the need to eat multiple vegetable protein sources in one meal to get a balance doesn't make meat more efficient."

Depends on the meat and available resources.

In poor areas, it's much more efficient to raise chickens, that thrive on insects, food scraps and plants we find inedible, than it is to try to maintain numerous crops to provide equivalent protein, along with the subsistence crops needed for bare survival.

Plus chickens are durable than crops during droughts, floods, and other disasters.

Similar arguments can be made for sheep, goats, and swine, depending on the area, and its resources.

It's when massive factory farming comes in that the efficiency gets skewed.

3. Whit.I.Are

I was thinking wicker chairs...

5. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Plastic fantastic

Tell me more about these synthetic products, the ones made out of plastic, the plastic that's made out of oil...you know, the fossil-fuelly stuff....

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Plastic fantastic

OK, just to freak out the Vegans (or is it Vogons):

Can they guarantee that all the fossil bits in fossil fuel needed to make plastic is purely plant derived. I bet there are quite some hydrocarbons of animal origin in there; animals who quite likely (given the nature of natural death) suffered a horrible death, were crushed under tonnes and tonnes of rock for eons, their bodies slowly liquifying, only to be recycled as toys for a bunch of arrogant bipedal semi-hairless apes! The horrror, the HORROR!!!!!!

2. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Re: Plastic fantastic

Won't someone think of the dinosaurs?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well given there's a lot of left over skin from all that eating it only seems fair to use them in expensive electric cars that contribute to keeping the inco superstack going.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“We and the future occupants of lifeboat Earth"

STFU.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Lifeboat Earth

I don't know about you, but my lifeboat will have full leather upholstery and a GBFO V12 engine

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Joke

Re: Lifeboat Earth

I prefer the GTTFBM* v12 myself.

*Get Thee The Fuck Behind Me.

8. Ralph the Wonder Llama
    Meh

Careful choice of words

"Farrell Peters, who confirmed she “grew up” on a veal farm"

She's hardly likely to say she was raised on one, is she?

9. Alister
    Facepalm

Tesla can continue to fill cars with the skins of sentient beings that suffer unspeakable horror while adding massive amounts of greenhouse gas into the air.

“Or, Tesla can adopt one of the many faux leather materials used by Mercedes Benz, Lexus, BMW, Infiniti and others that are cruelty free, have wonderful reviews, last a long time, come in multiple colours and involve far less greenhouse gases”.

I'm so glad that Mr Peters didn't resort to using over-emotive language to make his point...

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Indeed. Cows aren't sentient, they're just machines to turn grass into milk,with the added advantage that one can barbecue them when they get EOLed.

2. ian 22

It may speak volumes that Mr. Peters considers cows to be sentient.

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Linux

"It may speak volumes that Mr. Peters considers cows to be sentient."

You're claiming they're not?

Gary Larson would argue otherwise.

// no cow icon?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It may speak volumes that Mr. Peters considers cows to be sentient.

More like the other way round: Mr. Peters is about as intelligent as a cow.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If cows can be claimed to be sentient, what's to stop some cleverdick/smartypants from making the claim that PLANTS are sentient, too, putting the vegans in a bit of a bind since it's going to be tough to disprove this without doing the same to prey animals. Imagine if someone creates something like PETPV (People for the Ethical Treatment of Plants and Vegetation--but say the acryonym and you'll see just how catchy it can be) and starts opposite, say, furrier protests with signs that say "Plants Bleed, Too!"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Holmes

Sentient Plants

Some people do claim that plants are to a degree sentient, Prince Charles talks to them after all. I say dont eat anything that can talk back and argue - their relatives do go on about it.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beware the entitled vegan!

There used to be the most awesome deli in my neighborhood, but the shopping center got taken over by a vegan widow that had inherited her wealth, and she proceeded to make the shopping center her personal project to save the planet - she drove the deli out of business (been there 30 years) because they refused to stop selling meat (because they were a deli). The irony was they also made the best vegetarian sandwiches in the city.

Then, a shoe repair place was next because leather, so they got run off too. A friend that worked in a pest control company said she refused to allow 'lethal methods' against rats, so they had a continuous rat infestation - eventually the shopping center became a blight on the neighborhood, people used to move there because of the deli, then they started moving out because the shopping center filled with pawn shops, cell phone stores, and rats.

Also, never forget that Hitler was vegan.

1. Laura Kerr

Re: Beware the entitled vegan!

I've met one or two numpties like that. I'm surprised she got away with allowing a rat infestation though - on this side of the pond, that would earn you a visit from Environmental Health, who will ask order you to get rid of them pronto and forget your whine about non-lethal methods. Unless, of course, you want your shopping centre shut down immediately and public access barred.

How does it work in the US - is there something similar, or are property rights stronger? Just asking, because I'm genuinely interested.

1. Charles 9

"How does it work in the US - is there something similar, or are property rights stronger? Just asking, because I'm genuinely interested."

There's no uniform policy on the matter. It depends usually on state and local Health Codes. Generally, though, pest creatures like ants, roaches, and rodents need to be controlled, particularly in eateries, and places can be subject to inspection, especially if complaints are lodged against the place. As to the owner's complaints about non-lethal methods, she's up against the rest of the neighborhood; her rights can be trumped by everyone else's right to a clean, disease-controlled environment. He/she would have to take that up with the City Council/State Legislature if she wants his/her way. At the extreme, they DO have the power to condemn places they deem uninhabitable due to filth or pestilence.

1. Laura Kerr

@Charles 9

"At the extreme, they DO have the power to condemn places they deem uninhabitable due to filth or pestilence"

Thanks - I was hoping it would be something like that.

1. Charles 9

Re: @Charles 9

But then again, I wonder what would happen if such a person turned out to be a Hindu who will not kill a creature for religious reasons (meaning the First Amendment comes into play).

2. Lamont Cranston
      Facepalm

Excellent Godwin.

Congratulations, AC!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...Hitler was vegan."

This does not imply that all Vegans are little Nazis.

Oh, wait a second...

11. Tikimon
    Devil

Suffering unspeakable horror

"Tesla can continue to fill cars with the skins of sentient beings that suffer unspeakable horror while adding massive amounts of greenhouse gas into the air.

That's the best description of a rush-hour commuter I ever saw.

Vegans demonstrate daily the ill effects of their dietary restrictions when they spout ideological BS like this. Don't let it happen to you.

12. returnmyjedi

Yikes. No leather would be one step closer to the world in Rob Grant's "Incompetence", whereby everyone wears espadrilles made of old carrots and courgettes.

1. Chicken Marengo
      Headmaster

Incompetence?

@returnmyjedi - please pay attention to your spelling

https://awesomebooks.com/book/9780575075337/incompetnece-bad-is-the-new-good

13. Jimboom

Errr...

So what about the tyres that ALL cars use and use animal products in them? Which most tyres do i beleive. Don't hear him kicking up a stink about those.

I hope that when he goes to his farmers market for his monthly imported bat guano run that he always takes his own Hemp, reclaimed and recycled bag, because if he has ever used plastic bags... that uses animal products.

I hope that if he has ever marveled at a fireworks display in his entire life that he feels shame as they use stearic acid (which can come from animals).

In theory he should boycott Andy Worhol as he used to use casein (milk byproduct) based paint in his earlier work.

I hope Mrs Peters does not paint her fingernails and looks down on all woman who use nail polish... because guess what. That uses fish scales!! Won't someone think of the poor defenseless fish!!!

I could go on, but I am sure some vegan will come and give me "good" reasons why all of those are not nearly as bad as me using a animal product like leather that will greatly outlive it's plastic counterpart, instead of putting the welfare of those poor, enslaved, brutalized........ tender...... tasty.....succulent... delicious.. *errr. sorry, drifted off there* animals above mine.

I'll go get me coat... the leather one 'natch!

1. Tanuki
      FAIL

Re: Errr...

They're not Fish. According to the wonks at PETA they're Sea Kittens!

[visit http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/ - if you dare].

Coat? Got mine - I'm goin' out clubbing with my baby seal.

1. Charles 9

Wonder if anyone ever defaced one of those billboards with spray paint that says, "Good! I eat cats, too!"?

2. MJI Silver badge

I think I would rather risk surfing porn than them!

3. Jimboom

Arghh!! My eyes... my eyes... I dared... oh why did I dare.

Did you read those Sea kitten bedtime stories?? Wow... just wow.

14. 080

Recycling

Isn't the cow in the picture the same one as was shot by the Northumbria Police?

1. Shades
      Trollface

Re: Recycling

No, there was actual footage of that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX7Yo0tWDgk

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Footage: No, it's a MOOOOOVIE

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hoofage, then.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If a cow were to accidentally get run over by a vegan car then what would happen?

Apocalypse, the start of the next "big bang" due to universe being unable to take this final piece of irony, or can the Vegans eat the cow?

1. disgruntled yank

what then?

From what I remember of the Chevrolet Vega, the cow would win.

16. DrXym

I don't get it really.

A car, by its very existence is not eco friendly. It's made from materials mined out of the ground, it consumes power, it runs over land which has been converted to road, it runs through areas of natural beauty, it kills animals and insects, it encourages globalization and waste.

Yes the Tesla is pushing things in the right direction by not burning fossil fuels and recharging through charge stations which are mostly solar operated. This is an important advance but in most respects it's just a car.

So what the hell does it matter if it has leather seats or not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get it really.

"...charge stations which are mostly solar operated."

LOL.

Simply not enough surface area to achieve that.

17. smartypants

Sentient being prejudice

What is it these vegans have against beings that aren't sentient? What did they do to deserve their indifference?

A lettuce may not have feelings, but that doesn't give them the right to munch on their crunchy flesh does it? Live and let live I say!

And what about all those animals that they smash into on the freeway in their leather-free Tesla. Hundreds an hour, mostly arthropods with the occasional small mammal thrown in. What did they do to deserve being mown down by zealous Vegans?

God forbid one of these people takes a walk on the grass. If nematodes could scream, they'd soon know how much death and destruction they cause. Every animal is precious. Even an amoeba. Etc. Ad nauseum.

1. Tanuki
      Happy

Re: Sentient being prejudice

At least us carnivores [usually] have the compassion to actually kill our meat before eating it.

Vegans should remember that the raw apple, lettuce, banana, nuts, grass, mushrooms or whatever they're tucking into is - at a cellular level - STILL ALIVE - as they chow down on it.

Please, vegans - kill your vegetation before eating it.

1. Alister

Please, vegans - kill your vegetation before eating it.

Exactly, it should be dropped, screaming, into a pan of boiling water and left until dead.

1. Mark 85

Well... apples shouldn't be dropped into that pan. They should be mercifully peeled and sliced and then put into a crust with butter and sugar and baked.... The only problem is listening to them scream while being peeled alive, but playing AC/DC at full volume will drown those out.

1. Chicken Marengo
            Pint

@Mark 85

Seeing as most apples dearest wish is to become cider, I think we should let them have fulfill that wish before we eat them.

But I guess that depends on how you feel about cruelty to yeast

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"The only problem is listening to them scream while being peeled alive, but playing AC/DC at full volume will drown those out."

I remember an old clip show, "Turkey Television," and one of their regular clips was called "A Day in the Life of a Food," where someone would take something like a fruit and go through the normal motions of eating it while someone in the background made sounds of agony as if the food was alive and so on.

2. Mattjimf

I think this highlights your point - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmK0bZl4ILM

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or Tool: http://youtu.be/h7Y_PD-2vo4

18. Dr_N

Instead of moaning about the cows...

... I'd take a look at whether the leather is being sourced from the deathshop... err I mean sweatshop tanneries of Bangladesh.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

it'd be unTesla

only if it was cheap, designed for the peons, designed to profit from volume instead of boutique status, and performed to a third of the benchmarks it promised.

In other words, something from ZAP or any of the other overhyped electric golf cart makers that were all the rage barely 5 years ago.

Tesla earns the "hate" it gets because its products are exclusive, expensive, and effective for what they're designed for.

and they're designed for people who want leather seats.

20. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Would she

Take quinine to kill Malaria parasites? Nice little sentientywenty things. How about a sweet little rat infestation in her basement? Ask them nicely to leave?

21. MrXavia
    Alien

"Tesla can continue to fill cars with the skins of sentient beings"

Why yes, they are called drivers and passengers... They however sit on treated skins of non-sentient cows, that hopefully also served a few healthy meals...

Unless Tesla is in league with aliens and are harvesting humans for their leather? now that would be cruel...

1. Mark 85

Re: "Tesla can continue to fill cars with the skins of sentient beings"

Unless Tesla is in league with aliens and are harvesting humans for their leather? now that would be cruel

That would depend on the human... there's some I can think of that should be harvested. Unfortunately most the harvest would have be tossed in the bin as it is asshole.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

Re: "Tesla can continue to fill cars with the skins of sentient beings"

"Unfortunately most the harvest would have be tossed in the bin as it is asshole."

You know when you look at dog food ingredients and it says 'moisture' - I believe that is produced by pressing waste products, such as asshole, to extract the moisture content.

Sounds worse than my still-suit -->>

22. James Cane

Technical point

The vegan loons are right about one thing: cows are sentient. Those of you claiming otherwise, I think perhaps you mean sapient? Cows are not sapient.

All vertebrates are sentient, as far as I know. Only us and maybe the dolphins and mice are sapient.

Sentient does not mean what you think it means.

1. Nunyabiznes

Re: Technical point

Don't forget the pearwood.

1. James Cane

Re: Technical point

The pearwood certainly never forgets me.

23. JustNiz

Most cows alive wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for them being bred to produce meat and leather. I claim their right to life trumps these morons right to some sense of arrogant, misplaced self-righteousness.

Anyway, since when did Tesla's mission statement have anything to do with saving animals?

Also how does wastefully throwing away the skins of cows bred/killed for meat as opposed to reusing them to make useful, durable leather goods make any logical sense in any argument about caring for the planet?

24. DubyaG

Sentient Beings?

"Tesla can continue to fill cars with the skins of sentient beings..." Are we referring to the seats (Bos Taurus) or the passengers (Homo Sapiens)? Sometimes I cannot tell the difference.

1. James Cane

Re: Sentient Beings?

See my point above re "sentient" vs "sapient".

1. Charles 9

See my argument about PLANTS being sentient.

1. James Cane

You're confusing me with the vegans. I'm a carnivore.

I'm also a nitpicker.

25. Bucky 2
    Pint

The Solid Gold Cadillac

You have just made me remember a great old movie starring Judy Holliday. I've got to dig that up and watch it again now.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have read too much Ruppert …

… to even consider thinking about what is going on certain heads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: I have read too much Ruppert …

... the Bear?

27. Mr. Byte

Coal fired steam power. That's the wave of the future for cars.

28. Bill Sticker

Anyone who owned a cheap car from the 1970's and 80's can remember the horror of plastic upholstery. On even a moderately warm day, a short drive resulted in your bum sticking to the seat. Getting out could even be painful as you left a layer of your upper dermis welded to the seat. They also stank.

Leather is tough (lasts longer than even the toughest cloth) and is porous. Which means no self adhering buttocks. Hey, but let the vegans have their way, it will mean the end of Tesla. Electric cars are a technological dead end anyway.

1. Charles 9

"Electric cars are a technological dead end anyway."

If electric cars are a dead end, what will replace them when there is an eventual move to reduce the number of ICEs on the road, being highly inefficient and polluting and all?

29. Brian Allan 1

Gotta love the vegan horde...

Udder B.S.!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Appropriate material for the seat

Surely a Tesla should have a seat made of electric eel skin?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like