back to article Freeparking hit by DDoS, vexed customers scream into abyss

Email and hosting biz Freeparking has run into yet more trouble after being hit by a DDoS attack today. One customer told us this morning: "I have several domains which rely on Freeparking's name servers. All of them have been unresolvable since around 8:50am." Another got in touch to say the site went down before 9am, saying …

1. Lord Lien

Freeparking....

Used them since 2002 for my personal domains. Good company to deal with, don't let this one blip put you off.

1. Amorous Cowherder

Re: Freeparking....

Same here, been using them since 2002 and they've always been OK for basic services. However the migration during May was an absolute bloody mess, took nearly week for them to sort out the mail and their various URLs, luckily it was only my family whinging at me constantly, not customers!

1. John Miles

I have been using them since 2000 - but only really for renewing the domains lately. Fortunately all my domains are currently pointing at other hosting companies dns servers, so the only issue I had was they lost the updated email address on their servers. Seriously thinking of migrating my domains soon.

1. Captain Scarlet

@John But if they just work and aren't to costly why go through the hassle of moving?

Events such as this do make web hosting companies more aware of their shortcomings (Well apart from the con artists who grab your money and run). I use enom myself, don't use them for anything other than renewing my domains.

2. zeroparity

Are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. Seriously - migrate your domains away from these clowns at the first opportunity. I'm still bitter that i registered and paid for a .org with these jokers for 10 years, and they only registered it for 5 years. Imagine my surprise when i lost it. No reminders to renew as i'd registered for 10 years. C*nts.

2. DasWezel
    Coat

Cor.

"El Reg has contacted Freeparking for further comment."

That's damn good going, I had enough trouble trying to contact them before the recent shambles!

3. JimboSmith Silver badge

It would be nice to have emails back but I do understand that a DDoS is no laughing matter.

4. Tim Kemp

The joys of hosting.

I've worked for a small hosting company, DDOS on the servers is a nightmare, hard to mitigate, slow to fix and when you're in it it's like being drowned with screaming customers who do not understand that no matter what they do there's nothing that can be done that isn't being done.

I've used FP for years, and they're no worse than the other small providers I use, I'm in no hurry to move my domains away from them based on a DDOS and a few migration issues, those customers of mine who have complained I've explained the situation to and offered to move them to other provision but with the explanation that such action is not a mitigation against re-occurrence.

Hopefully FP will put better plans for communication in place and better mitigation against future attack and maybe spread the DNS around a little more, and publish a statement showing their diligence and what they have improved, and it won't hurt them too much, as it stands today I'm not moving my domains away, about 60% of mine are with them.

5. The Real Tony Smith

Nothings perfect

It went down for a few hours, delayed some emails, came back up again.

Even 6 sigma is not 100%

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many missing the point

The issue for many is not the outage, it's the lack of communication. That's customer service 101.

I mean, really, complete service down and there are gaps of over 3 hours with no comms? Very poor indeed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like