back to article New kid on the blocks: Lego Worlds game challenges Minecraft

Lego has created a block-by-block world-building computer game to take on the Microsoft-owned Minecraft series. Lego Worlds is now available via Steam for Windows PCs, and allows players to use virtual plastic bricks to construct and alter landscapes, buildings, forests, mountains, and yeah, you get the gist. "In a galaxy of …

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Gonna have to give it a try

I hated Minecraft for the fact that it would take hours to just even out a small hill, let alone create anything big and interesting. And besides, its only $15, so as long as it provides 3 pints worth of entertainment, I come out ahead on the deal.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Gonna have to give it a try

With creative games, you only get out what you put in. So, yes, it takes hours, but it makes the achievement more satisfying. Or, you know, you could add mods which give you more effective mining tools.

2. James Hughes 1

Try the Raspberry Pi version - you can program it from Python, so you can procedurally generate your hills. Should save some time.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're doing minecraft wrong. lol.

4. Crazy Operations Guy

I should've known better than to express my personal opinion about a game on the internet...

Other than taking a lot of time, I love minecraft (on a similar level to complaining that your child keeps you up all night; its understood that you love the thing, but still get annoyed). Its just that with my work schedule and social obligations, I have little time to relax by myself so all I want to do is dive into a virtual world for a couple of hours where there are no ridiculous deadlines, no complaining users, and no python scripts failing tasks that the script has completed successfully thousands of times before.

2. ratfox
    Unhappy

Gonna have to stay away from it

Self-preservation instincts are kicking in, and reminding me that food and sleep are important.

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: Gonna have to stay away from it

Self-preservation instincts are kicking in, and reminding me that food and sleep are important.

Wiser words may not have ever been uttered.

3. Old Used Programmer

IF they're going to compete with Minecraft, they're going to have to release a--free--version that runs on the Raspberry Pi.

1. paulc

Leocad runs on Raspberry Pi... even better on the Pi 2

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Sorry, a lot of kids particularly are going to remember, with much anger, at the way that Lego Universe was shuttered.

I can see a lot of parents avoiding this for their kids after the anguish from last time.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

This one is single-user and local. So even if Lego kill off the product, you can still play.

1. Yag

"This one is single-user and local. So even if Lego kill off the product, you can still play."

Be wary of those statements, you never know what kind of unholy DRM can be embedded with the stuff. (Quite unlikely at such a low pricing spot, but...)

5. Tim Jenkins

Go Team Penis Sweep!

That Eurogamer article is a spoof. Isn't it? No?

"...They wanted a creative building MMO with a promise of zero penises seen. They actually had a huge moderation team that got a bunch of screenshots of every model, every property... ...YOU could build whatever you wanted, but strangers could never see your builds until we'd had the team do a penis sweep on it..."

That's going to look so good on a C.V.

1. caffeine addict

Re: Go Team Penis Sweep!

I'm not a penis sweeper, I'm a penis sweeper's son, and I'm only sweeping penises til the penis swee... hang on a sec...

6. Little Mouse

For that authentic Lego experience...

Will you be allocated almost-but-not-quite enough of the virtual bricks you need?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can I mod it to include a massive nuclear reactor that powers my autofarm, bee factory and lumber mill whilst summoning things from the dreamland in witchery and casting bad ass spells with ars magica? Also can I build massive floating islands and large ships? Can I recreate early computers in it with red stone? Does it have terminal computers that you can program inside it visa vi computacraft?

Minecraft isn't a game, it's a platform, it has thousands of mods and a massive community. Sure the pocket editions on the consoles and mobile devices are garbage but the real thing is awesome.

A day barely goes by without someone trying to build a minecraft clone and unless MS does something stupid that destroys the community around it none of the other games stand a chance.

Also beyond the whole creativity solo and multiplay, sky island, modded sky island, then there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of adventure maps, giant minigame servers with thousands of players playing things like hungergames / survival / competitve sky islands / splunk / hide and seak, races / etc, etc, etc.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "unless MS does something stupid"

You do know the odds on that, don't you ?

There is not a single product bought by MS with which it hasn't done something stupid.

Look for your Minecraft login being tied to your Windows Live account - that will be the beginning of the end.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "unless MS does something stupid"

however sauing that minecraft login has been long hacked - so who cares we can all live on 1.8 forever. Mojang haven't added anything funamental since rewriting the netcode - but even then most of the highest level modders can rewrite anything in the old java version.

And nothing drives a game like minecraft quite like an underground scene

2. Grimthorpe
      Alert

Bees?

No wonder you posted anonymously. *shudder*

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bees?

"No wonder you posted anonymously. *shudder*"

wait no ignore my horrible over reaction - you were mearly talking about forestries bee system

8. stucs201

Not really a direct Minecraft competitor.

Having downloaded it last night it's not the same game at all.

Yes they're both procedurally generated worlds with block based building. but they've as many differences as similarities. Whether they compete or not depends on what it is you like (or dislike) doing in Minecraft.

For MC players building purely cosmetic structures in creative mode this is definate alternative, especially for those who also use MCEdit in conjunction with the game itself.

For those more interested in the survival aspects of MC then LW doesn't (at least currently) seem to offer much. Although there are occasional mini-figs that you can punch there isn't really the same level of threat as in MC.Likewise there aren't really limits to resources - have as many basic bricks as you want. More complex models (flowers, oil wells, vehicles) you can have as many as you want too once you've found one (provided you have enough 'studs' to buy the first one - they're hardly in short supply).

For explorers LW might offer more. Rather than crafting things you need to find them in the world first (the exact thing, not a few multi-purpose general components), which means lots of travelling around. Time will tell if I'm right on this, it depends on how many things there are to find and how common they are.

For the more technical MC players who like redstone they're not going to find much of interest here. Building is (at least currently) limited to non-functional lego parts. Functional stuff like vehicles is found pre-built. I can see scope for this changing if the start including Technical Lego (aka Lego Technic) parts, but even that I'd expect to feel more like building contraptions in Besiege than MC.

1. JacobZ
      Happy

True... so far Re: Not really a direct Minecraft competitor.

This is true, so far, but bear in mind this is the earliest of early access. Some of the stuff I've read suggests that at least some of these things will be coming along, including survival mode (the monsters will be skeletons), and vehicles / other moving parts. I haven't seen anything like Redstone, though.

For me the biggest difference in the experience is -- as you mention -- the way you gather resources for "crafting". It looks like Lego Worlds will not require lotsof grinding, possibly reflecting the fact that it's aimed at a younger audience who would not have patience for such things.

Anyway, I hope there's room for both.

9. Lamont Cranston

I hope they make

the Minecraft-themed Lego bricks available, in game.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like