back to article Equinix moves into Europe by slurping up Telecity

Data centre outfit Equinix is enlarging its presence in Europe by gobbling up UK-based Telecity for £2.3bn, with the deal adding a further 39 European data centres to the US-based company's existing empire of 100. Equinix chief executive Stephen Smith said the announcement was an "exciting day for the stakeholders of both …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Misleading title

I visited Equinix's data centre here in Geneva ( Centre Confederation) about 6 years ago and at that time they considered the facility as being old.....

Not really what I would title as "moves into Europe" especially when they now have 32 data centeres in Europe and the Middle East....obviously they didn't all date back to this morning.

Here is a link showing their EMEA centres

http://www.equinix.ch/locations/europe-colocation/europe-data-centers/

2. Mondo the Magnificent

Telecity...

We use Telecity in the EU. I look after 54 racks in the mainland Europe area

On Tuesday I met with one of Telecity's high level sales bods and he hinted coyly about something going on in the background.. so reading this article it came as no surprise, but the timing was somewhat quicker than I expected.

Hopefully this will bring some changes at Telecity because the operating procedures at the various DC's do vary quite a lot. Telecity are a very good bunch to do business with, it's a slight lack of uniformity that can be frustrating at times.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Telecity...

"Telecity are a very good bunch to do business with"

Hah ! What planet do you live on ? ;-)

Maybe if you've got 54 racks with them they will grovel profusely and treat you like royalty.

But if you've only got a smaller quantity, I can assure you they've become worse and worse over the years. The only thing they can do correctly is bill you, and increase their charges at any opportunity.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

mmm...

This should help NSA access to any servers on US "Soil", as no doubt they will consider datacenters owned by a US company to be within their juistriction, even when in the EU.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like