back to article Libre Office comes to Android

The Document Foundation has released a version of Libre Office for Android. The new app allows users to read and edit documents. The Document Foundation bills the app as a “Viewer” with “experimental ... basic editing capabilities, like modifying words in existing paragraphs and changing font styles such as bold and italic.” …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

pre-Alpha UAT ?

"basic editing capabilities, like modifying words in existing paragraphs and changing font styles such "as bold and italic.”"

You had me there, for a moment I thought the article was serious.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

A small start

Alpha proof-of-conceptish but a start.

The end point of this path is a fully functional LO running on android PCs. Low power, relatively secure, PC in the screen style commodity hardware. Ideal client for large corps?

3. msknight

Finally...

Small time authors who have to commute to a regular job, can use a thin bluetooth keyboard with their mobiles to hack out prose instead of lugging a lappy.

Don't look at me ... I have to drive. The police tend to take a dim view of people using mobes behind the wheel as it is.

"'Scuse me Madam, just what in the manner of hell do you think you're doing?"

"Writing a murder mystery, officer."

"Well I've got news for you. it's no mystery how I'm going to prevent a murder or two. You're nicked."

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Finally...

Yeah, you've heard of these things called called buses, coaches, trains, and abroad where perhaps cloud connection is limited and on-device editing would be just the ticket?

Or the other night when O2 and by extension Giff Gaff and other victuals went tits up for the evening? Between an on-device document synced to a service like Dropbox and Office 365 where I believe you have to sign in to get anywhere useful, I know which I'd have been happier with that night.

1. msknight

Re: Finally...

Well, I'm not sure what point you're driving at, but my point is that part-time authors who previously had to lug around a laptop in order to write during the commute to the day-job, can now use their mobile phones to write on. Just a thin, light blue tooth keyboard will make the job a hell of a lot easier. Or a 7" android tab.

That is except for me, because buses and trains don't go where I need to go with anything like the required time scale. Heck, one time I used to drive from Folkestone to Munich. And don't ask why I didn't take the plane.

4. h4rm0ny

What's the UI like? Substantially different to the desktop version, I presume?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

With a bit of luck it might actually be good looking, the desktop version is pot ugly....

Even though I am using Open Office on this laptop, every time I open it up it reminds of just how good looking the MS interfaces really are.....

1. arctic_haze

Funny thing but I have the same feelings seeing the multistorey clutter of stacked menu rows. I stopped using Microsoft Office 15 years ago (yes, in 2000) switching to Open Office and later to LibreOffice. I never looked back.

I realized how much I do not need this application when I bought recently a PC with a preinstalled Microsoft Office. I deleted it without switching it on, even once. I have no idea why people are paying money for something which offers them no advantage comparing to free software.

1. h4rm0ny
          Happy

>>"I stopped using Microsoft Office 15 years ago (yes, in 2000) switching to Open Office and later to LibreOffice. I never looked back [...] I realized how much I do not need this application when I bought recently a PC with a preinstalled Microsoft Office. I deleted it without switching it on, even once"

It's always amusing how the most critical posts of MS products feel the need to emphasize their points by explaining how they avoid being able to make informed comparisons. They're always this unaware combination of "I stopped using this over a decade ago..." and "I deleted it without trying it.." followed by how rubbish they know it is.

2. chavellas

Good looking, bad acting though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay for Non-Google Downloads

Many congrats to TDF for getting this out, and equally many for not requiring us to have google accounts just to get it.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. ilmari

Ok, so editing is clumsy on phone. We all knew that.

Is it also crippled on fullsize screens using physical keyboard?

And, after trying to use Polaris office, I must ask: Does it lose all your edits since last save if you briefly switch to another app?

1. Loud Speaker

Ilmari,

It is not difficult to plug your mobe into a dock, and use an external keyboard and screen. Its quite handy to have your work always with you, and not handy at all to rely on internet everywhere you go.

Sometimes screencasting works too. Even if you have a Samsung phone and a Samsung mobile. Eventually it might work everyday. I'm not holding my breath.

8. Dreams

A little too late...staying with Office 365

Libre is late to the game. Now that I have Office 365 on my Android I'm not willing to give it up.

1. fruitoftheloon
      Thumb Up

@Dreams: Re: A little too late...staying with Office 365

Dreams,

Likewise, on Note 2 and NotePro, it works much better than expected - but I had very low expectations...

Regards,

J.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: A little too late...staying with Office 365

"Libre is late to the game. Now that I have Office 365 on my Android I'm not willing to give it up."

I tried it. Having to sign to use it was a deal breaker. I sometimes need to edit documents where there's no phone signal. I'll stick with the app previously known as Kingsoft Office until something better, like at least a beta of LO or OOo comes along.

1. h4rm0ny

Are you sure you're not confusing it with Office Web Apps. You can use MS Office without an Internet connection, including mobile versions. Office 365 is actually a subscription model that can cover both downloadable versions and the web apps. It's not a specific piece of software itself. You obviously can't use the online versions of Office without a connection, but you can use the downloadable versions.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I just checked again. I installed the standalone downloadable MSWord from the Play Store. On first load it asked me to sign in or create an account. I exited it. I opened it again and went to create a new document. On opening, the new document is initially filled with the false Latin "Loren ipsum..." stuff and there's a yellow bar at the top of the page saying "Sign in to edit and save changes to this file"

Am I missing something? If I create an account and "sign in" now will it still work in a the wilds of Lincolnshire or Cornwall with no mobile signal?

9. Binkle

Sounds very tempting ... NOT!

If one is searching for an Android office suite that deserves the name: have a look at this feature comparison table:

http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofahdcomp_en.htm

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofahdcomp_en.htm"

That's a pretty crap comparison table, I'll stick my neck out and say they are either significantly out of date or deliberately lying. At the very least I work both with RTF files and edit/save multi-page excel files without loss of formatting on a daily basis with WPS Office and their table claims I can't do that.

10. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Meh

WPS/Kingsoft office already works well

It's nice that they're developing Libreoffice but wait til it works for the announcements.

11. hplasm
    Thumb Up

Finally!

Now I can fiddle with ODF documents properly- I mean of course, proper ODF.odf open documents- beware of shoddy imitations.

12. x 7

Isn't this reinventing the wheel?

My understanding is that Kingsoft Office was based on the Star Office / Open Office code, so this development seems a bit pointless. It just needs Kingsoft's coding dragging back into the Open Office / Libre Office development mainstream. Presumably it is still open source....?

13. Richard Lloyd

Late to the party...

Whilst it's nice that there's an "official" LibreOffice being developed on Android, searching for libreoffice or openoffice on Google Play shows that there's already dozens of alternatives that can handle LO's file formats and many of them developed far beyond what this new official app offers (and a lot of them are free too).

As the review stated, this official app ludicrously dumps you straight into an extremely poor folder view of your Android filestore with many folders missing (e.g. SD card, where you'd probably store your docs!). Tip: Use an Android file manager (I like ES3) and click on your document from there - file assocations should mean it'll fire up the offical app and load in your doc (which I found was rendered by some of the unofficial apps better...oh, the irony).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like