back to article Chileans mislay large lake

The Chileans have rather carelessly mislaid an entire lake in the Magallanes region of Patagonia, Reuters reports. Before and after photos of Chile's missing lake. Photos: CONAF The body of water in question (seen here before and after) had a surface area of around 4 to 5 hectares (10-12 acres) or, if you prefer, roughly 10 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. andy gibson

'enjoy' earth tremors?

"Southern Chile has this year enjoyed thousands of minor earth tremors, Reuters notes"

What kind of country 'enjoys' earth tremors?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Volume?

How can you calculate the volume of the lake given only its surface area?

3. Chrome

RE: 'enjoy' earth tremors?

One that doesn't have access to luxury vibrating massage chairs?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: 'enjoy' earth tremors?

"What kind of country 'enjoys' earth tremors?"

Only the really kinky ones

5. Eric Werme

It was "minor earth tremors"

"What kind of country 'enjoys' earth tremors?"

The sort of country that has endured several Mm 7-8 tremors. I've enjoyed all the earthquakes I've experienced in New England, they've ranged between Mm 1.5 a mile or two away to 5.5 hundreds of miles away.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Volume?

A reckoning is not a calculation. Well, not in my estimation at least...

7. Adrian Jones

Enjoyment?

I always enjoy it, when the earth moves for me.

8. Badger

Volume?

Surely volume is measured in Olympic sized swimming pools (not that we know what they look like anymore in the UK), not grapefruit?

9. Matthew

Wales?

How many soccer pitches in a standard 'Wales'? Which as everyone knows is the de facto standard for measuring surface area.

10. Dax Farrer

Soccer

Please, its football. Soccer is for English toffs circa 1920's. Its old, horribly elitist and more to the point is called football by the majority of association football supporters.

Case in point the same arseholes call Rugby "Rugger", they probably also call IT "ICT" (like to get a techie angle in somehow).

11. Morten Ranulf Clausen

At last...

...an ecological disaster not due to global warming. Didn't think we had those anymore.

12. A. Merkin

Global Drying

People, global drying is for real.. we need to act now!

13. Badger

Volume/surface area

as we all know and has been discussed many times before

Volume = Swimming pools (preferably olympic ones)

Length = London Bus (the non-bendy variety)

Surface area = Wales for deserts/rain forests, anything else is a FOOTBALL pitch

Not sure about time....

14. Fred Fnord

Time = happy hours?

Just a guess.

-fred

15. Slate

Standard Wales?

Maybe not the best measure of area, since as we all know, If you flattened out Wales it would be bigger than England.

16. Rodrigo Valenzuela

Enjoy? mmm... no, but...

Well, certainly you don't enjoy having the earth move under your feet with a force strong enough to make hills go down, open cracks, tear down buildings and provoke massive waves in the ocean. Those are the kind of earthquakes we have had in Chile, including one in 1960 that is registered as the most powerful in recorded history (9.5). That earthquake generated waves 25 meters high, affected places 10 thousand kilometers away from its epicenter, killed uncountable numbers of persons and make entire villages vanish. This year one of those "thousand of minor earthquakes" indirectly killed about 15 people in the Aysen Fiord, by means of a giant wave caused by the fall of rocks.

So, you will understand that the disappearance of a minor lake is taken as a curiosity instead of great news.

Rodrigo

17. Jim

Getting back to the article...

If you use before and after shots, shouldn't there be sufficient commonality to actually highlight the difference?

Maybe the lake is still there but they just went to the wrong place to find it?

18. Trevor Watt

@ Slate

Flatten out Wales? Don't tempt us!

19. Colin

re: getting back to the article...

By Jim, "If you use before and after shots, shouldn't there be sufficient commonality to actually highlight the difference?"

The two mountains in the distance are the same ones.

In the before shot, the photo is taken from the surface of the lake, giving an unobstructed view of the more distant mountain.

With the lake gone, and no handy helicopter to hover at the former surface level of the lake, the second shot is taken from the lake bed, at a slightly different angle. It's clearly the same two mountains though...

20. Michael Corkery

Actually, it should be soccer

In both Ireland and America, football refers to the local game, Gaelic football, or American football. Soccer does make it clear what game you're referring to - English football... ;)

21. Iain Cartledge

Re: Actually, it should be soccer

The only other place in the world I can think of it being referred to as soccer (and even there I don't know if they do) would be Oz. If I started calling volleyball handball I wouldn't expect everyone else to call the French game "French handball" just to make it clear to me. Especially if I was in France.

This topic is closed for new posts.