back to article SpaceX signs off on another successful mission with Pacific splashdown

SpaceX's Dragon cargo capsule has made a splash-landing in the Pacific Ocean as planned after detaching from the International Space Station. The month-long mission ended with a successful, if damp, landing and the 3,100lb of completed scientific experiments, broken hardware, and dirty clothes has been successfully retrieved …

1. Bleu

Worm form?

Sounds frightening. Does the worm form pose a threat to life on earth? Do we even know? OMG, it's here!

Parachute, splash down in the Pacific. Boring, all done so very many times before.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Worm form?

The day I find space stuff boring will be the day I stop living.

1. Martin J Hooper

Same here - love reading about the ISS and SpaceX... Hope I'm still around when the Dragon goes up with people on board...

1. Pete4000uk

I hope to see them bring people back down, too :)

2. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

It's not Earthworm Jim that worries me. Let me know if Queen Slug-for-a-Butt or Professor Monkey-for-a-Head are in the capsule!

2. Kharkov
    Trollface

Sending the dirty laundry home to Mom...

In times gone past, I'm told, it used to be cheaper to ship dirty laundry from the American West Coast to Hawaii, clean, starch & iron it, and then ship it back than to pay to have someone do it on the mainland.

Now ISS is shipping its dirty clothes home (to Mom, thanks Mom) so they can be washed... and probably not returned. Is a zero-g washing machine the one device that's beyond NASA's ability to design?

Tell the world and inquiring (and strange) minds will leap into action! Let zero-g washing machine designing begin!

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Sending the dirty laundry home to Mom...

Doing laundry on the ISS would probably involve a lot of heavy and maintenance intensive equipment. It's therefore probably just not cost effective to lob a washing machine up there and do the laundry on the ISS.

3. Alister

a zero-g washing machine

I thought that's what they meant by the SpinSat...

1. Richard Altmann

washing machine

A washing machine generates centripedal forces inside its rotating drum. So, why not shooting up BIG washing machines where the people live inside the drum and walk about on the inside of the drum since it might compensate for the lack of gravitiy.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

A zero-g washing machine would need a counter-rotating flywheel (or you could have two washing machines spinning in opposite directions).

4. Graham Dawson Silver badge

The leading conclusions I expect to be drawn from the worm experiment are

a) that there are previously unaccounted effects of microgravity leading to a loss of muscle mass and tone

b) that the body's reaction to microgravity leads to unpredictable changes in metabolism that result in poor uptake of essential minerals

c) further that a certain amount of reduction in physical size may occur

d) that regular exercise along a general line of squeezing, bending and stretching may assist in staving of the effects, and

e) that the most viable long-term solution to the physiological effects of human habitation in space is to fill the entire cabin with high grade loam and require astronauts to burrow through it, thus mitigating the concerns of (a) and (b), negating the effects of (c) and fulfilling the requirements of (d).

1. Alistair
      Coffee/keyboard

@GrahamDawson

"is to fill the entire cabin with high grade loam" ....

I misread that and have no idea how I turned soil into narcotics. But you now owe me a keyboard.

5. Richard Ball

worms

Soylent pink.

6. TheProf

Bones

"Spaceflight-induced health changes, such as decreases in muscle and bone mass, "

I thought worms were boneless.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: Bones

Speak for your own worm only.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like