back to article Spotify smashing new media paradigms with something called ‘video’

Streaming music pioneer Spotify wants to broaden its appeal beyond music buffs by incorporating podcasts, video, and Pandora-style personal “radio stations” into its music service. The enhanced Spotify was unveiled yesterday. The BBC is one of several media partners offering video, along with Vice News, Comedy Central and the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Moan, Moan Moan......

"When Spotify takes away listener choice it gives itself more control over who gets paid for the music."

Or conversely, it may help promote artists you've never heard of, a bit like Amazon has done for me on many an occasion and therefore actually creating more choice and more artists that get paid.

1. Irongut

Re: Moan, Moan Moan......

Agreed. I still see the search box and my playlists in the desktop and mobile apps so this Paul Sanders chap is clearly an arse.

2. Jim 59

"CEO Daniel Ek promised you’ll be grateful for its algorithms. “Recommendations will adapt over time to fit your taste and mood,” he said. As an example, if you’re jogging then Spotify will match a tune with your running pace.

I thought choosing what music to listen to was part of the pleasure of music. Like choosing which wine to drink, or what golf club to use for a particular shot.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

It is a pleasure for people who like music. Those who take music as a source of rithmic background noise to accompany whatever else is it they've happened to be doing - might as well like the new "service". Poor sods :-P

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're a jogger after my own heart

"<gasp> no I'm not taking <pant> a rest, I'm just <puff> selecting the next track on <pant> the music player. Music is <gasp> to be savoured like fine wine, one selects <puff> it with care to fit the <pant> moment"

I'll gladly add this to my existing sneaky-breather techniques: oh-no-this-damned-shoelace-is-slipping-again and the evergreen what-an-intriguing-view-I-must-just-quickly-take-a-photo (well to YOU it may be just a stained concrete wall near a scary council block but to this connoisseur's eye it merits a moment's <puff> contemplation)

3. TheProf

Huh?

http://golferswines.com/about/about_golfers_wine/

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Meh

Of course they want video. The licensing is completely different, video is flat rate and music is per reproduction. I bet soon every song will be reproduced as a video, the size of a postage stamp and shoved in the corner of the screen.

4. Little Mouse

"When Spotify takes away listener choice it..."

..it becomes a radio station. And if it starts broadcasting video too, it'll be like, I don't know, like a tele-visual-radio station.

If you can imagine such a thing.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: "When Spotify takes away listener choice it..."

I can imagine it, but only for seeing at a distance.

5. Cliff

I know what we need - more costs!

The bandwidth difference between audio and video is an order of magnitude, so higher costs mean less again to share with the musos...

6. enormous cow turd

...and?

Honestly - who cares? I'll only be using spotify for music - playing my playlists, so long as as they dont start forcing video at me, I'll continue to be a customer...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like