back to article NASA plots interplanetary cubesat swarms

NASA has revealed it is working on CubeSat Application for Planetary Entry Missions (CAPE), a plan to use small satellites to explore the solar system. As Lori Keesey of the agency's Goddard Space Flight Center details, cubesats are proving very useful around Earth. So useful that the 10cmx10cmx10cm craft could be used to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

Not a bad idea, within reason, so long as we don't end up having to worry about kessler syndrome around every major body in the solar system.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Hmmm

We can avoid this by designing the service module to de-orbit itself (even if it stops working completely, i.e. it should have a fast-ish orbital decay).

2. Kaltern
    Mushroom

Cube swarms in space...

Sent out to explore the solar system, how could they know they would encounter an unknown alien probe. How could they anticipate being upgraded with AI. How could they have forseen the creation of a species...

... and thus the Borg were born.

1. Chris G

Re: Cube swarms in space...

I'm on a similar wavelength , I was thinking they should be modular and h!ave an ability to reintegrate to use their combined processing to be something greater..... And call it Borg

2. cray74

Re: Cube swarms in space...

"... and thus the Borg were born."

V'ger, shirley? Or is there a Borg episode that recycles the V'ger story?

1. Graham Marsden

@cray74 - Re: Cube swarms in space...

Apparently Shatner wrote a story that described how V'Ger met the Borg.

That's why we had "We are V'Ger of Borg" and why the Borg had those incredibly powerful plasma globes and massive ships that...

... err... well...

3. Yag
    Joke

Looks like the cluster bomb manufacturer are looking for diversification...

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Pint

Excellent

I trust the LOHAN team are looking into this as the next special projects mission?

5. Dr Who

To boldly go where no Platonic solid has gone before.

6. frank ly

Does anybody know ....

.... what battery technology they use for the very cold environment of space?

1. cray74

Re: Does anybody know ....

".... what battery technology they use for the very cold environment of space?"

A number of non-battery technologies are applied to change the spacecraft's environment to be more battery-friendly: insulation, radiators, and active thermal control. This both keeps a probe warm when it's cool, and cool when they overheat due to sunlight and internal operations. One of the most potent features used to keep spacecraft warm (or too warm) is space itself: spacecraft operate in the universe's largest Dewar flask.

The end results are interesting: For example, as I recall, the Voyager probes out in BFE run at about 70-80F to this day. And remember the ESA was worried that Philae was going to overheat on a comet that was, what, 3.5AU from the sun at intercept?

The batteries used in that environment vary by year and mission. Some are hardened, long-life versions of everyday battery technology, while others have only found use in space. Common spacecraft examples include nickel-cadmium (favored for 40 years in space missions); nickel-hydrogen for rechargeable applications (the ISS and Hubble both use nickel-hydrogen); some nickel-metal hydride batteries; and lithium-ion (used on Spirit and Opportunity, and heading to the ISS in 2016).

Spacecraft sometimes dip into unusual batteries for short-term applications. Single-use probes (like Huygens and the Galileo Atmospheric Probe) like to use thermal (molten salt) batteries, which are commonly found in single-use military applications like missiles.

7. Anonymous Custard
    Alien

Expect the unexpected?

https://youtu.be/giks4YQDMU0

Gerry Anderson got prophetic again 30-something years ago. If a martian space-witch turns up as part of the project, be very afraid (or send for Sergeant Major Zero ).

8. Little Mouse

We're dooooooomed.

If I know my Sci-Fi, swarms-in-space=BAD news for humanity.

Even the well intentioned ones.

9. Primus Secundus Tertius

Bovine backscatter

Looks to me like GOAB - Good Old American Bull****.

10. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Dropping a brick

It's a 10cm cube & they need to test its aerodynamics?

1. cray74

Re: Dropping a brick

"It's a 10cm cube & they need to test its aerodynamics?"

It's a 10cm cube with differing centers of mass depending on the exact contents of the Cubesat that might thus twirl or fall in a manner different from a homogenous cube. It is also a 10cm cube that might be placed in an aeroshell.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Dropping a brick

Cubesats are a similar shape to Vogon ships, so they already know about their aerodynamic properties:

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

11. Cynic_999

I hope they have a foolproof way of keeping track of swarms of metal cubes that would be too small to show up on primary radar after its radio goes dead, but are large enough to do a lot of damage to another spacecraft or satellite.

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Something like it has been suggested before

A few years ago JPL looked at flying at flying as a secondary payload on comm sat launches to GEO. This (in theory) gave launch opportunities to somewhere (Moon, Mars, Venus, Mercury, anywhere really) on almost every launch.

The big benefit of this approach (in principal) is that it turns a once a decade mission to somewhere, to maybe once every 12-18 months, ideally using the data collected to drive the next generation of probes.

The challenge with these systems is to choose experiments that make the best use of this ability to sample multiple sites. It's also more likely a good idea to focus on 1 cubesat/1task

That is a sea change in how missions are planned or partitioned. 1 mission per cube sat or 1 mission per swarm of cube sats?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Something like it has been suggested before

"1 mission per cube sat or 1 mission per swarm of cube sats?"

Can I send a pack of Beagles to Mars?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like