back to article Jay-Z freestyle attack on Tidal's rivals leaked to Tidal's rivals

Criticism of Tidal competitors, delivered by Jay-Z in an exclusive live-streamed performance for subscribers, has ironically been leaked onto those competitors' sites. Jay-Z's "B-Sides" concert has been uploaded to YouTube by an account we believe is unlikely to hold the rights to the recording. This is not the first time …

1. PhilipJ
    Childcatcher

won't somebody think of the poor multi-billion dollar celebrities !??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

nothing to see here

Jew-Z streams attack ad to competitors

2. Little Mouse

Rappin' Dad

"I'm no fan of Jay-Z. Didn't understand a word he said."

Too easy.

3. Google

AS posted by a fellow commentard in response to another article on Tidal and the music biz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsJqtiU-2A (Tidal - End The Suffering ) quite entertaining

4. Jon Double Nice

I think its a name problem

Look, 'Tidal' is short and snappy, but it has too many vowels between the sylables. He should've called it TDL, or something, and made some of the letters caps and other not, or added an extra bit of punctuation, like t:Dl then you get a big grinny face in the middle. And the lower case t looks a bit like a hat like the rappers wear.

You know, the rappers? They run down the wall, next to the thing. It's a bit like a bus shelter, but not. Where the shopping trolleys go, and they run down the wall and. The rappers. You know them?

1. Anonymous C0ward

Re: I think its a name problem

Pronounced "tiddle", as in "I wouldn't tiddle on him if he was on fire."

2. P. Lee

>'Tidal' is short and snappy,

... and the synapses auto-fire the sound following it as "Wave" which will wreak havoc on infrastructure and might kill me if get too close. Death and Destruction all round then!

I'll stay away.

Is it just that I'm old, or does music not actually matter that much? Maybe I'm too poor, but I can't imagine wanting to pay for a music streaming subscription service, even if I had more money than sense. Its just too inconvenient for something I care little about. Popular music is a bit of fun, but nothing more.

I used to play "spot the product placement" in music videos, but now its way too obvious. Rubbish beats audio anyone? Nope, not for me either, thanks. If you're going to do advertising, do it properly, like the "we will rock you" pepsi ad. Don't pretend it isn't happening.

3. Shady

We need a Tidal eqv. to TL;DR - Maybe TS;DL - Too Shit, Didn't Listen?

5. Big_Ted
    Stop

Cor Jay Zed can't do proper poetry.....

What a shock, low talent deserves low wages mate, geddit .....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this just one of those 99 problems?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Elmer Phud

Nah, he's just bitching

7. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

at around the 17 minute mark.

Wow, there's at least 17 minutes of that crap?? What a waste of bandwidth and space...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: at around the 17 minute mark.

Are you new to this Internet thing?

You may find there is a little more than 17 minutes of crap out there.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm just a self-indulgent consumer

And I'm not especially fussed which bunch of megacorp bastards wins any particular market joust, providing that my life keeps getting better.

So if Jay-Z & co can explain simply and clearly what's specifically in it for *me* right now if I switch my entertainment bucks to Tidal instead of their competitors then they'd be a step closer to a sale. That's how salesmanship used to work: tell me how you'll fix *my* problem, not how I can fix yours.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That freestyling was utterly appalling, toe curling crud.

10. Anonymous C0ward

Rap

is spelt with a silent C.

11. A Ghost
    Mushroom

How very very embarrassing

--------------

Jimmy Iovine offered a safety net,

Google dangle 'round a crazy cheque,

I feel like YouTube is the biggest culprit,

Them niggas pay you a tenth of what you supposed to get.

Oh niggas is skeptical cause "they own shit",

You bought nine iPhones and Steve Jobs is rich,

Phil Knight's worth trillions, you still bought those kicks,

Spotify's nine billion and they ain't say shit.

------------------------

Really?

A grown man said that?

Grow the fuck up and learn some self refucking spect!

And stop fucking using words that only you are allowed to use! Howeva you wanna spella it! My man.

For fuck's sake. No one cares. We've got your number. You've got a monomaniacal need for money and power. You are pathetic. Nothing more. Nothing less.

There will be no music distribution service on the net for at least another 10/20 years. The powers that cling on have seen to that. You are an upstart. Don't get ideas above your station! You should be ashamed of yourself and doing something to give back to some kind of community but no, you just can't get enough.

It's people like you that pissed on the whole concept of hip hop and why I am ashamed to say I make that 'kind' of music today. You and your ilk deserve to rot. I'll be laughing harder than the rest when your demise comes.

12. SVV

Hilarious

I'm assuming that every time someone goes to Youtube to experience this clunky, illiterate infantile whining he gets paid for it?

But it's just not enough, waaaaaah, waaaaaaaah......

This guy sounds like those senior bankers whose banks had to be bailed out with billions of public money to prevent them from going bust and then started whining that they had to be paid millions otherwise they'd have to leave the country and take their enormous talents elsewhere.

How very "street".

1. A Ghost
      Thumb Up

Re: Hilarious

How very street indeed.

I gave you an upvote sir, as I believe we kind of made the same point.

13. beep54
    Devil

Bob Dylan

did this back in the 60's. I mean, really. Just sound out Subterranean Homesick Blues. That's essentially a rap with meat on its bones, rather than potty-mouth drivel. Dylan liked the form, but moved on.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like