back to article Get another loan, fanbois, the new MacBook Pro and iMac are here

Apple has updated its MacBook Pro and iMac lines with improved hardware specs and sharper displays, and the usual four-figure price tag. "The response to the new MacBook and updated 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display has been amazing, and today we are thrilled to bring the new Force Touch trackpad, faster flash storage, …

1. Anonymous C0ward

improved hardware specs and sharper displays,

and less sockets?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: improved hardware specs and sharper displays,

ITYM "fewer".

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

Apart from that fact that it is "fewer" sockets, and apart from the fact that you probably mean "fewer ports" and have no idea how many sockets each of these computers have: Apple builds different laptops for different purposes. They build laptops with the design goal to be as lightweight as possible. They build other laptops with the design goal to be as powerful as possible.

The MacBook Pro that was just released has quad core processors running at up to 4 GHz, 16 GB RAM in all models, up to 1TB SSD drive, two Thunderbolt/Displayport ports to run two external monitors at 2560x1600 pixels, HDMI, 2xUSB3, SDXC slot. Among the accessories offered is a 12 TB RAID drive.

So WTF are you going on about?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Shhh. It's not fashionable to be rationable.

You are supposed to follow the crowd and spew forth anti-Apple rhetoric at every opportunity regardless of accuracy and without forethought.

That's the way we do it in the flock.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

2. x 7

" They build laptops with the design goal to be as lightweight as possible. They build other laptops with the design goal to be as powerful as possible."

No, you're wrong: they make products with the sole intention of selling them as expensively as possible

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and

understanding.”

― Marshall McLuhan

2. x 7

you can fool some of the people all of the time........

1. PassiveSmoking

... but you can't keep the rest of them from bitching about products they're not going to buy anyway.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge

"you can fool some of the people all of the time........"

The rest buy Android kit.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

You would compare Android to OSX? Oh well.

Closer equivalents to OSX include Windows and some Linux distros - which these Macs will run happily. For Windows, Apple will supply you with the drivers.

Linus Torvalds, who had something to do the OS that Android is based around, uses a Macbook Air. He says he dislikes noisy computers at home, and values light laptops on the move. He's hardly a 'fanboi', as his January rant about Apple's HFS+ illustrates.

And that's it: We should judge products on their features and fitness for purpose, and not just which camp they come from. It is also right to base decisions on wider issues, such as environmental, data-retention and market practices of a company, but if so we should be careful about how we interpret the information available to us.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Video card question

The article says the desktop mac comes with an AMD Radeon R9 M290 but I can't find that on AMD's website. I can find an M280 and an M290X. Can anyone shed any light?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Video card question

Its very possible that AMD have made some GPUs to Apple's specifications for grunt, power consumption, heat and price. Beyond that, I can't help, except to point towards the discussion here, where some commenters might know what they are talking about (I can't tell):

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9268/apple-announces-2015-15-retina-macbook-pro-cheaper-27-retina-imac

I'm sure that Anandtech will explain more about the GPU, and provide benchmarks, when they do a full review in future.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yawn

Will be purchased by the usual sheep who will then post on facebook that they bought a Mac cause they 'do not get viruses"

1. Mike Bell

Re: yawn

...as opposed to predictable sheep like yourself, who peddle their unfounded prejudices without a moment's hesitation for rational thought. Well done, anonymous bottom feeder.

1. JDX Gold badge

He's just jealous HE can't afford one.

2. Mr_Bungle

".as opposed to predictable sheep like yourself, who peddle their unfounded prejudices without a moment's hesitation for rational thought. Well done, anonymous bottom feeder."

The fact that you refuse admit any failing on Apple's part, ever, just makes you a blinkered shill. You probably have shares.

Don't worry though, I'm sure the deluded clowns that buy these products will lap them up.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh and re the android comment...

Anyone who pays their own money to purchase a device running software created by Google is a nutter. Android is designed to steal your most intimate information, spy on your every move and allow Google to relentlessly push products at you that you do not need or want. People who pay their own cash to allow Google to do this are worse than iSheep.

1. king of foo

Re: oh and re the android comment...

The choices:

1. Buy a mac and don't go on holiday this year...

2. Buy a "windows PC" and spend your entire holiday running endless loops of windows update and installing antivirus or Gnu/Linux/BSD on it...

3. Buy a cheap android device and get a cheap deal on a holiday!

Let's face it, the great unwashed use sites like Facebook so privacy isn't their main concern. Apple devices are "trendy + cool" and Google devices are (were) "cheap + cool". Windows devices have been trying to do both, with obvious results. The only people who "care" about this stuff spend their time on sites like this!

Now... to the important Q'n; will it play crysis???

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: oh and re the android comment...

>will it play crysis???

Yes, but not at its native resolution.

7. stephendv

Same price as a Dell

Spec up a Dell Precision M3800 with 4K display and Linux to similar hardware as the entry level MBP, with 256Gb SSD + 16Gb RAM and it comes to $1938.

8. SVV

$40 for a phone charger?

I thought these products were designed and priced to make you look "affluent and cool" : this just screams "more money than sense".

1. Nick Pettefar

Re: $40 for a phone charger?

Check out the pound and Euro prices for the same! Are they using an Intel Pentium to do their conversion?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Displayport 1.3?

Will the new Macbook Pro 15 connect to a future 5K Apple External Monitor?, i.e does it have Displayport 1.3 yet?

Those SSD upgrade prices are circa 2011. 512GB SSD's have a street price of £130-£150. 16GB of ram is a £160 upgrade on the 13'', making prices almost the same.

10. Andy 73 Silver badge

Nothing like it

I use Windows, Linux, Android, OSX and a host of other operating systems in the course of my work - I'm fairly platform agnostic, but avoid the Apple consumer products as I'm not keen on the lock in. That said, I've been using an MBP for two years and it's a fantastic developer's machine - powerful, fast and mechanically robust. It gets dropped in a backpack at the end of each day (no sleeve) and bounced around on the commute and (touch wood) remains in perfect condition. Compare this to any other windows laptop and it's head and shoulders ahead in terms of longevity and utility.

1. CADmonkey

Re: Nothing like it

My 6 year old Thinkpad W700 could probably keep up with the MBP. It's had XP64, Vista and now Win7. It comes with a built in colour calibrator, Wacom pad & stylus, RAID1 HDDs (a screwdriver away from an upgrade to SSDs) and is built like a tank.

You may have an argument with battery life, screen, alu body, etc. but longevity and utility? Nah.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like