back to article Nintendo to revive long-dead 'World Championships' contest

Nintendo is planning to hold a new World Championships gaming contest in 2015, marking the first time it has staged such an event in 25 years. Preliminary rounds of the contest will be held around the US on May 30 at various Best Buy retail stores in major cities. Nintendo has not yet posted location or registration info. The …

1. Mark 85

Another bit of idiot naming...

A "world championship" with preliminaries only held in the US.... WTF?

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Another bit of idiot naming...

Nintendo needed to find a country whose IQ levels were sufficiently low enough in order to ensure that a quorom of players could easilly be attained...

America was the obvious solution.

1. Rick Giles
        Trollface

It would be kinda silly to invite people from the rest of the (third) world that live in mud huts without electricity for game consoles and tele's now, wouldn't it?

2. Annihilator
      Angel

Ah, I see you're not familiar with the US habit of claiming the world. See:

World Series

WWE

Superbowl winners referred to as "World Champions"

1. Douchus McBagg

erf.

even as an ignorant brit I still know that the "world series" is a league named after the sponsoring "world series" news corporation.

and world champions for American football... well.. yeah... just because no one gives a toss... erm, I mean, no teams are good enough to be fielded into the NFL from outside the US doesn't mean it's closed off.

1. Cryo

Also, WWE wrestling isn't even an actual competitive sporting event. The matches are choreographed and scripted, and while a lot of the moves require athletic skill to pull off, the events themselves could be considered largely fictional.

2. MJI Silver badge

Always restricted

I wanted to enter a competition once, from home (as that was how it was set up), but was restricted to US only.

How annoying.

Other competitions for same game also insisted on a particular control method which I did not get on with, two control schemes, the most popular with top end players was not allowed. I do not know why as normal controllers had aim assist, the motion controllers did not.

I was in top 1%

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CALIFOOORNIA

See above.

4. CaptainBanjax

As long as I can bring

My powerglove. Its so bad.

1. Douchus McBagg

Re: As long as I can bring

argh! context quandary! is that the 80's "bad" as in "good", or the current "bad" as in ... well... "bad"...?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like