back to article OpenFlow busts out of the data centre with 15,000-route Pacific test

Last week, an international group of researchers and vendors demonstrated international carrier-scale software-defined networking (SDN), exchanging 15,000 routes across a trans-Pacific link. The partners – ESNet, switch vendor Corsa, the http://onosproject.org/ ONOS project, the Open Networking Foundation, AARnet and the CSIRO …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

what?

" National security laws that require carriers to tell the government if they make any changes to their network ..."

Can you put that into context? Does this mean they can't swap failed hardware without email confirmation from the government? Does it prevent them from deploying BGP?

1. Richard Chirgwin (Written by Reg staff)

Re: what?

I will change that to "architectural or design changes to their network", to make it clear.

2. Simon Brady

Re: what?

[Citation needed], but I'm guessing that's a reference to section 48 of the Telecommunications (Interception Capability and Security) Act 2013:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2013/0091/latest/DLM5178093.html

This requires network operators to advise the GCSB when they make changes within "areas of specified security interest" as defined in section 47. That section lists things like interception capability, storage of customer or network admin credentials, and parts of the network that aggregate large volumes of customer data (in flight or at rest). I'm neither a lawyer nor a network engineer, so hopefully someone better qualified can explain what this all means in practical terms.

2. Preston Munchensonton
    Coat

Hurray for SDN!

I, for one, welcome our centralized networking overlords, as the cockups they produce will keep us consultants employed until we can retire. Thanks, OpenFlow!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon