back to article Astroboffins eyeball MONSTER GAS HALO hugging Andromeda Galaxy

A team of scientists have clocked a huge halo of gas surrounding the Andromeda Galaxy. The astrophysicists, whose research was published – naturally enough – in the Astrophysical Journal (PDF), reckoned the expansive globe of gas stretches about a million light-years from the nearest significant galaxy to Earth. They …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dark matter

DARK MATTER ACCOUNTED FOR! IT'S JUST GAS

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: dark matter

Just about 20 times more gas needed and you are there.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this mean that all existing exogalactic observations will need to be corrected for the effects of the similar halo that we should presumably assume surrounds our galaxy ?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

We've presumed that these "halos" exist for some time. This is merely observational evidence. It is not the sought after dark matter.

3. Nathan 13

A Trillian Stars in a galaxy

And billions of galaxies in our universe, the mind boggles!!!

1. Christoph

Re: A Trillian Stars in a galaxy

Ob Python

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

I have a framed picture of Andromeda on my lounge wall with a brass plaque that reads Intelligent life may only arise around one star in a million

:)

1. Fibbles

Intelligent life may only

arise around one star in a million

Million-to-one chances crop up

nine times out of ten.

2. Mark 85

I'm not 100% convinced there intelligent life anywhere in the universe.. especially after any election.

3. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

And Zaphod Beeblebrox whose ego is as big as one...

1. dorsetknob
        Paris Hilton

if memory serves me correctly was not Zaphod Beeblebrox Shagging Trillian

its a paris moment

1. Jonathan Richards 1

OT: Re: A Trillian Stars in a galaxy

> was not Zaphod Beeblebrox shagging Trillian

Possibly not. Dialogue from Fit the Second at 21:47

Trillian: Zaphod, please take your hand off me. And the other one. Thank you. And the other one.

Zaphod: I grew that one specially for you, Trillian, you know that? Took me six months but it was worth every minute.

Doesn't sound too hopeful, does it?

I always wondered about the Trillian character; all the other elements of the story were woven into the fabric of the Universal Improbability, but Trillian just seemed to drift away, having contributed only the phone number of her Islington flat.

4. Graham Marsden
    Coat

It's probably just...

... the Energy Barrier which surrounds the galaxy. In which case, it's the same as the one that surrounds ours...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: It's probably just...

Captain Kirk, sir! How did your beam from your pilot episode from the 60's to our sad-arse 21st century??

It brings tears of melancholy to my eyes.

5. frank ly

Explanations

"... the halo appeared to be roughly 100 times the diameter of the moon."

On a galactic scale, that is incredibly thin, assuming that is an absolute size and assuming that it's 'our' moon they are referring to. Or, does that mean the observed area of our sky compared to our moon .....?

"Andromeda Galaxy's halo is the largest one ever to be eyeballed so near to Earth beyond the Milky Way."

Is there another, smaller halo, within the Milky Way?

1. stuartnz

Re: Explanations

" does that mean the observed area of our sky compared to our moon" - this was the only way I could make sense of that "100 times the size of the moon" comment. I struggled with the phrase, but decided that it was unlikely to mean our moon is 10,000 light-years across, so plumped for the explanation you suggested here.

6. KingStephen

Something's not right here

Either it's huge and its mass is 50% of all M31's stars, or it's size is 100 times the diameter of the moon in which case it's not. Or I'm misreading it!

7. Rob Carriere

I suspect they mean angular diameter. 100xMoon =~= 50 degrees which at 1,5 Mly distance works out to about 2.8 Mly diameter = 1.4 Mly radius =~= roughly the 1 Mly mentioned in the article.

8. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Stop

Hubble time!

That subhead makes me want to dance around in MC Hammer pants.

9. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good article

More mind-stretching science please!

10. Just Enough
    Headmaster

2,538,000 light years apart

" the expansive globe of gas stretches about a million light-years from the nearest significant galaxy to Earth."

*towards* Earth. As written it suggests that the distance between the two is a million light-years, and it stretches the entire distance.

1. stuartnz

Re: 2,538,000 light years apart

There is another way to parse that sentence. "the expansive globe of gas stretches about a million light-years from (Andromeda), the nearest significant galaxy to Earth." The galaxy was already mentioned by name earlier, so omitting its name from this sentence did not compromise clarity.

11. Captain Boing

There'll be a similar buble round most if not every galaxy. Nuf H?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like