back to article Extreme community policing: West Virginia crook pepper-sprays HIMSELF mid-robbery

A man from West Virginia has been jailed after he allegedly foiled his own robbery attempt by pepper-spraying himself. Last week, Kevin Meadows, clad in camouflage gear, a "boonie hat", and a paintball mask, attempted to take down pharmacy staff with repeated blasts of pepper spray. However, he accidentally walked into one of …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Obligatory quote

Shaving your face with a mace in the dark,

I am a loser baby, why don't you kill me

3. MatsSvensson

Was his partner a christian housewife?

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

"... Police did not say why the driver wasn’t charged as an accessory to the attempted robbery ..."

Presumably the driver was in tears at the time of his interview. Whether these tears were from contrition, the after effects of transporting a pepper sprayed passenger, or laughter is another matter.

5. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
    Coat

Full camo?

Seems a bit conspicuous for robbing a pharmacy.

If he wanted to blend in he should have glued a load of tampax boxes to his body and disguised himself as a product shelf. Could then have lurked undetected until everyone had gone home.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Joke

Re: Full camo?

And then afterwards gone rollerblading, hang gliding or any number of other activities that they apparently let you do...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Police did not say why the driver wasn’t charged as an accessory to the attempted robber

Plea bargaining....the US justice system at it's best.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: "Police did not say why the driver wasn’t charged as an accessory to the attempted robber

Seems likely. Sure there are other explanations like maybe the driver or his family were being threatened so he felt he had no choice. But most probably a case of "give up your friend and you'll walk". Lean on the driver if he's otherwise clean, even more so if he's got a record and is looking at some major time. They don't really care about him so much anyway - they don't want the tiddler they want the big fish, and the tit with the pepper spray is arguably far more dangerous.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"maybe the driver or his family were being threatened so he felt he had no choice"

That must have been an interesting conversation.

"Drive! Or I'll spray myself in the face again!"

"No! No! I'll do it!"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"the tit with the pepper spray is arguably far more dangerous."

To whom?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. James O'Shea

Re: picky error in headline

They bailed from Virginia when Virginia bailed from the Union and never went back after Virginia was hauled back into the Union at cannon-point. Something about there being damn few slaves in that part of Virginia (and damn little money; this is not a co-incidence) and (most of) the locals didn't see any particular reason to die for someone else's right to have slaves. Virginia was most upset; there's a bit in the Constitution of the United States that member states can't be split up without their consent. West Virginia and the other states which dragged Virginia back into the Union pointed out that at the time West Virginia bailed, Virginia was, by its own testimony, not a member of the Union, and so all kinds of constitutional guarantees no longer applied. If Virginia had wanted to remain unsplitup, then it should have stayed in the Union. (Yes, some are _still_ blathering about this. Mostly boyz waving a flag, red with a blue cross of St Andrew upon which are white stars. Somehow I don't think that they got the message: Lee _lost_.)

1. Oninoshiko

And to residents (I'm told) it's pronounced "West By God Virginia"

2. Mark 85

And some folks down in those parts still call it "the recent unpleasantness". I guess for some value of "recent" 150 years might work...

1. Swarthy
          Facepalm

I can almost hear the speech: "Secession is WRONG! NO state should secede from The Union, it needs to be an integral whole! And to act on this, we are seceding from the Comonwealth of Virginia to form our own state as part of The Union."

3. Pedigree-Pete
        Pint

Virginia/West Virginia

Ohhhhhhhh you don't get me I'm part of the Union. (Hats off to Mr Wakeman & friends)

8. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    FAIL

Take this, there may be danger...

oh, wait...

9. Crazy Operations Guy

What kind of idiot doesn't come prepared?

He knew that was going to be pepper spray used at the scene (What with him bringing it and all), so why didn't he bother to buy a particulate mask and some swimming goggles... It would've cost him like $20 to buy them, plus they would have obscured his face and made it harder to track him down. But then only an idiot would try and rob a store in the first place, smart people sell their services as a 'security consultant'.

1. fishman

Re: What kind of idiot doesn't come prepared?

What kind of idiot doesn't come prepared? Because West Virginia.

10. PNGuinn
    Mushroom

Off Topic, but...

I wonder if Paddy Ashdown would enjoy a well peppered boonie hat?

Enquiring minds ete etc....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon