back to article Barracuda: It's like the IKEA of backup and security

Barracuda, the backup, file copy and security supplier, has a laser-like focus on the mid-market and aims to offer Walmart pricing with Nordstrom quality and features (that's IKEA pricing with Heal's quality for UK readers). It's not a bleeding edge company, aiming instead to move into a market when best-of-breed products have …

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
    Pirate

Email

We had a Barracuda email scanner when we had on-site email, and it was a nice little unit. Did a fair job of scanning email, and only locked-up maybe twice a year (usually when our Internet connection went down and the outgoing queue filled the drive up). Annual maintenance was very reasonable, too. We let the maintenance expire last year when we moved to Office365, so it doesn't scan emails anymore, but I still use it as my internal mail relay for logs and messages from my servers and such. Works a treat for that.

I had looked at their firewalls a year or two ago, and they had some really neat features (at the time). Didn't buy though, as I got straddles with a pair of Sonicwalls instead. :(

1. styx-tdo

Re: Email

works fine, if you accept silently DROPping of mails... which may bring you in hot water in some legislations. Barracuda support suggested disabling Antispam to prevent this behaviour... duh!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fool me once..

Due to budget constraints we were limited to Kemp or Barracuda SLB. We ran with Barracuda as they promised a new major firmware update was due out which would deliver new functionality and rework the dated interface. Roll on 3 years later, and the Firmware promised has never materialised.. worst decision we ever made.

We also investigated their email archiving solution, but fortunately we dodged that bullet. At the time they had functionality so data could be archived to a NAS but they removed this from the product at around the same time and insisted if more storage was needed then the unit would have to be completely replaced.

Some people rave about the simplicity of Barracuda, but from experience, my personal recommendation would be find an alternative.

3. Muskiier

We have a couple of Barracuda appliances, one a load balancer for our two WAN connections and the other is their web filter. We got the web filter based on the performance and excellent support we got using the load balancer. Support is easy to get hold of and talk to, No wonder this company is doing well.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon