back to article New Tizen phone leaked: Remember it's not all just Android and iOS

A second Samsung Tizen phone has been leaked showing that the nice mobile OS - which has the great merit of not being Android - hasn’t been forgotten by the Korean Company. Details of the new phone have appeared on the site Tizen Experts which not only shows the phone but gives some details of the specification. It’s got an …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That is one heck of a big phone pictured. Makes Apple's 6+ look positively tiny...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

get the units right

the battery is a 2.0 Ah not 2000 mAh as over 1000 the unit of milli is droped and the decimal point set in the in the right place.

1. ratfox

Re: get the units right

Like everybody says 1.0 Mm instead of 1000 km?

Or like floppy disks were 1.44 MB instead of 720 KB, defining MB as 1024000 Bytes?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the battery is a 2.0 Ah not 2000 mAh as over 1000 the unit of milli is droped and the decimal point set in the in the right place."

Droped? If you're going to nitpick, perhaps you should use a spell checker to avoid looking like a wazzock.

3. Bruce Hoult

Excuse me while I take a Sharpie to every AA NiMH cell I've ever owned...

sheesh

4. Dave 126 Silver badge

It depends upon context and range. I worked in workshops where the unit is always mm, even for dimensions of over 1m. It avoids cock-ups of the "I thought you said..." variety. It is common to specify technical drawings as using mm, and thus a key dimension would be labelled as 1200mm and not 1.2m. It cuts down on mental processing overheads.

I'm sure you can appreciate that similar conventions exist within the context of hospitals, for good reason.

1. Ru'

" ...I worked in workshops where the unit is always mm..."

Just doing a project where the site plans are in cm! Stupid French thing I guess, but it's a new one to me...

5. Salts

I have to Agree with Dave126 the phones power consumption is in mAh so give the battery in mAh, unit swapping is a bad idea in most situations.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

the battery is a 2.0 Ah not 2000 mAh as over 1000 the unit of milli is droped and the decimal point set in the in the right place.

Nope, that doesn't take into account precision, which is always +/- 1 of the last digit (if I recall correctly, it's been a while since I was a pedant :) ).

From a measurement perspective, 2000mAh is somewhere between 1999 mAh and 2001 mAh, whereas 2.0Ah is somewhere between 1.9Ah and 2.1Ah. That's quite a difference in accuracy.

7. John H Woods Silver badge

"the battery is a 2.0 Ah not 2000 mAh" -- AC

You could call this battery a 7.200E+03 Coulomb (i.e. Amp second) battery, but as most people are interested in how long the battery lasts and what the phone's power consumption is, it is more appropriate, in this CONTEXT, to use the derived unit of Current x Time rather than Charge. Similarly, the scale, in this CONTEXT, suggests that we use mA rather than A (given the sorts of power consumptions that phones have) and h rather than s (given the sorts of durations that phone batteries last).

* Also, as an aside, 2.0Ah is not quite the same as 2000mAh: the former suggests (a hundred times) less precision (i.e 1950mAh to 2050mAh rather than 1999.5mAh to 2000.5mAh) although again an understanding of the CONTEXT would suggest to most people that the range of variability is unlikely to be as small as 1mAh

1. Clive Harris

Back in the '70s, a colleague of mine needed some special custom-made bolts and sent the drawings to the workshop dimensioned in mm. The workshop read the dimensions as being in inches. The resultant bolts made great paperweights!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Ben Liddicott
    1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: To learn more about Tizen head to TDWTF...

Samsung ripped out Qt from MeeGo and replaced it with THAT?

5. asdf
    Trollface

getting into Duke Nukem territory now

>Samsung push may be more for non-phone devices, but it's coming

It's been coming since 2010 (when it was Meego). You would think it came by now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: getting into Duke Nukem territory now

"It's been coming since 2010"

Tantric software development.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like