back to article Kill all geoblocks says Internet Society of Australia

Geoblocking content should be banned under international trade treaties, according to the Internet Society of Australia. The radical proposal emerged in ISOC-AU's appearance at the Senate committee looking at the proposed site-blocking amendments to Australia's copyright act. With Hollywood hard-balling (all the way up to …

1. veti Silver badge

Good luck with that

No, seriously. I sincerely hope the idea catches on. It strikes me as 100% correct.

But I have a strong feeling that the ink on the TPPA has been dry for at least a year now, and changes like this should have been mooted circa 2009 if they were going to have a chance.

1. P. Lee

Re: Good luck with that

TPPA needs killing, not polishing.

2. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Re: Good luck with that

What ... the Australian Government acting in the interests of the Australian people? No, that's way too radical, it'll never catch on.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

We are so screwed

TPPA...

(ineffective) new filtering...

Talk of a VPN ban...

We will be hosed, good and proper.

3. LaeMing
    Unhappy

Sorry

That's not what international trade agreements are for.

4. frank ly

Hard-ball bollocks

"With Hollywood hard-balling (all the way up to wanting VPNs to be banned in Australia) ..."

That is amazing arrogance and sense of entitlement. If they don't like it, they should refuse to market their tat in Australia. I'm sure they'll be sadly missed.

5. CEO Internet Society

I agree it is a long shot, but using the TPP is a solid strategy. We need the public to understand and to join the call to stop this ad hoc legislation. If you would like to help please consider joining the Internet Society, which only costs $90 for individuals. Just go to: www.internet.org.au/index.php/membership

6. Len Goddard

Region coding

And while you are at it, outlaw region encoding on DVDs and blu-rays as well.

The logic is identical.

7. Tim Roberts 1

I agree!

"Geoblocking content should be banned under international trade treaties, according to the Internet Society of Australia"

No argument here in my home.....

Is the the internet INTERnational - NETwork_( yes I admit I'm probably wrong with n my interpretation) really there to give individuals access to "stuff"

Companies that use geoolocking are scum because they use my (your) location to determine price.

8. General Pance

Makes sense. Everything we buy is already produced overseas, why not extend that to content?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like