back to article SOHOpeless Realtek driver vuln hits Wi-Fi routers

Twenty months of optimism has come to nought, so the Zero Day Initiative has gone public with a vulnerability in the Realtek SDK that's inherited by at least two broadband router vendors. The vulnerability that the HP-owned TippingPoint initiative discovered, here, is in the SDK's SOAP implementation. The minigd SOAP service …

1. Christian Berger

We must finally outlaw hardware without publically documented interfaces

so we won't have to rely on the software the vendors sent with it. If hardware vendors refuse to comply with that, they should have to pay for all the security bugs they created with their buggy software.

Free software may not have fewer bugs than commercial software, but once they are found they get fixed.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: We must finally outlaw hardware without publically documented interfaces

Even if not going so far, it is time that suppliers were punished financially for failing to freely patch bugs in a timely manner for, say, 5 years after the software/product was last sold.

1. Christian Berger

Well that fine would have to be astronomically high to get those companies to have updates. After all their whole workflow is not designed to bring out patches. They take a complete image from their chipset vendor, skin it and release it. For a patch they need to do the whole thing again.

Just forcing public documentation would be much simpler. I mean nobody profits from a closed system, except for maybe the NSA.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Yes, fines should be large and enforced otherwise bugger-all will change.

How said companies chose to respond is up to them. It would be better for free software and probably cheaper for them to cooperate in making specifications fully public, also it would help build trust that nothing dodgy was added. But sense seems to be a rear thing these days.

2. Michael Habel

Well that fine would have to be astronomically high to get those companies to have updates. After all their whole workflow is not designed to bring out patches. They take a complete image from their chipset vendor, skin it and release it. For a patch they need to do the whole thing again.

This comment reminds me of the current state of my Chinese Android TV Box... There are a few Vendors selling, what is essentially the same Device. Sans the bit, of Lipstick meets Pig, they're identically the exact same Firmware, worse yet with the exact same Bugs in the amcodec decoder.

2. Michael Habel

Ahhh it's time to upgrade to an 802.11ac Router anyway.... Hopefully everyone with a b/g/~n~ Router will be so dense as to not head this advice... Leaving the 5Ghz Spectrum largely unused for a while longer...

3. John Robson Silver badge

At some point a vendor will just go ...

..."You know what - let's let OpenWRT take the heat"

1. Christian Berger

Re: At some point a vendor will just go ...

Considering that OpenWRT actually has decent update features, I'd say OpenWRT would handle it a _lot_ better.

1. Josh 14

Re: At some point a vendor will just go ...

Now the question is, is OpenWRT (or DD-WRT, Tomato, etc...) using the same core binary that has the vulnerability as well?

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

Come on California

It doesn't take much to get you to legislate in computing matters, why not this one?

5. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Why?

Why regulation? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for 3rd party firmware being available. But I simply vote with my wallet, and only buy access points with available 3rd-party firmware, and you can too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like