back to article Ruskie hackers nab unclassified Obama emails

Russian hackers have made off with unclassified emails sent and received by US President Barack Obama as part of an October Whitehouse breach previously played down as minor, according to reports. The emails could contain sensitive information including diplomatic correspondence, schedules, and policy debate, unnamed officials …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am i being a bit thick here...Or

are you actually saying that the Pres's emails were not encrypted???

Oh dear....Bet PGP's shares go through the roof any time shortly...

Oh, hang on. Aren't the yanks bleating about stopping people from using secure email???

Ahh, egg on face....

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Yes, and?

The biter bit.

European "leaders" (some of them suddently interested into "secure" phones) are probably having a quiet chuckle.

3. Ole Juul

Agenda

White House and State Department sources say the Russia hackers likely had ties if not direct support from Moscow

I'm not saying they're wrong in this case, but those are probably two of the least reliable sources.

4. Herby

Why??

Can't they publish the Hillary Clinton emails. Lots of people would be VERY interested!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why??

If there was anything incriminating she'd just claim she miswrote.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

@Keef

There are so many different versions of unicode that she could claim they were using the wrong version.

In the computing world, the prefix "uni-" is a disaster.

2. Tom 13

The only possible relevancy to this article is: Was her "private server" being compromised part of how this compromise happened?

5. jake Silver badge

Keyword: Unclassified.

Who the fuck gives a fuck about Obama's day-to-day minutia? Outside the tabloids and the drooling idiots gobbling up and regurgitating every word, of course.

1. Chris G

Re: Keyword: Unclassified.

His day to day minutiae probably contain more truth than the official releases. What people say off record can be quite interesting. I wonder how much they got away with before getting sussed?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you don't understand why Russia (or China or Iran) would have a great deal of interest in the schedule of the President of the United States, you're an utter fool. You personally may have no interest in it, but that's among the list of reasons why you didn't try to hack his email.

1. jake Silver badge

"If you don't understand why Russia (or China or Iran) would have a great deal of interest in the schedule of the President of the United States"

The PotUS's schedule is classified. Minutia is not. Thus my question.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

His full schedule is classified, but there will be emails flowing about specific meetings. If you know he's meeting with someone in Munich on a certain day, you know about a planning trip in advance and can guess what he might be talking about (i.e. Ukraine, EU economy, etc.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oops....

White House officials said that no classified networks had been compromised, and that the hackers had collected no classified information. Many senior officials have two computers in their offices, one operating on a highly secure classified network and another connected to the outside world for unclassified communications.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like