back to article Sweden releases human genome under Creative Commons licence

What used to take years now takes months: after buying a bunch of sequencers in 2014, Sweden's Uppsala University has published a human genome sequence under the Creative Commons license. The data has been posted at Sweden's Uppsala University's Website here for bioinformatics boffins to play with. The university's SciLifeLab …

1. Gordon 10

Poor Craig Ventner

He'd be in in his grave - if he was dead.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Well done, but...

...this really shouldn't be necessary. It's been published in a nice leather jacket many billions of times already and is millennia out of copyright. Format shifting changes nothing.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Well done, but...

But this is the human genome that's not on a mobile device!

3. PM.

What now ? Forks and distros ?

1. Swarthy
      Happy

Well, there has been a lot of forking to get it dispersed widely...

4. alain williams Silver badge

What to do with it ?

What now ? Forks and distros ?

Yes - I have my own copy, slightly different from yours, and I have given versions, free of charge, to my kids.

Sue me if you don't like what I have done!

5. Vincent Ballard
    Alert

I'm not sure whether they had too many requests and took it down, but first linked page (the download one, I presume) is now returning 403.

6. phil dude
    Boffin

the more we learn...

about the diversity of the human phenotype, it is clear we need more genomes.

We also need a much greater understanding of cellular differentiation and epigenetic modulaion, so more experiments...

In principle, we should all have our genomes as part of our medical records, and eventually we will be able to workout the information that is diagnostically useful.

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the more we learn...

" it is clear we need more genomes."

Is that why when you never find a garden with just one, it's either none or bloody hundreds, all with that Tony Blair Rictus Grin (tm), a fishing rod, and a garish red waistcoat?

7. tekHedd

Genomes and Forking

What, no "pull request" jokes?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Genomes and Forking

Only if you are still using the old-Github repository method.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We are currently reviewing this dataset and, unfortunately, it will not be available at this time. For the interested, whole genome datasets can be obtained from e.g. the 1000 genomes initiative.

/Pontus Larsson - SNP&SEQ Technology Platform

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like