back to article VMware makes vSphere licences portable to crimp EVO:RAIL costs

VMware has announced what it's calling a “vSphere Loyalty Program” that allows vSphere users to “apply their licenses to the purchase of VMware EVO:RAIL appliances from our nine Qualified EVO:RAIL Partners.” The program's pretty simple: if you have vSphere licences and buy an EVO:RAIL rig, VMware will let you move those …

1. Lost_Signal

License credit?

What does a license credit mean? EVO:RAIL Is OEM. Will I loose my license investment on product refresh?

2. Mark Burgess

VMware changes EVO:RAIL licensing but still gets it all wrong

Does anyone know what VMware's strategy is around EVO:RAIL?

They seem to have got it all wrong with the initial release of the product and this change does not really resolve the huge commercial problems it has - they must know this so I wonder what their ultimate plan is.

I have more thoughts on the subject at http://blog.snsltd.co.uk/vmware-changes-evorail-licensing-but-still-gets-it-all-wrong/

1. Smoking Gun

Re: VMware changes EVO:RAIL licensing but still gets it all wrong

Mark, reading your blog I completely agree VMware's licensing strategy for EVO RAIL is a bit of a disaster. I was on an HP HC webinar recently and the majority of questions I had came back to licensing.

To answer your questions I think it's important to understand where VMware are targeting EVO RAIL, which in truth wasn't completely clear on the webinar, however it certainly not the SMB/SME space at the present time, unless they have deep pockets and a lust for new tech.

This is aimed at high density cloud environments, and VMware mandating the Enterprise Plus line is for the whole SDDC mantra, distributed switch, network control etc.

I agree an SMB/SME EVO with Essentials Plus would be attractive for the smaller customer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like