back to article When the Schmidt hits The Man: Look what the NSA made Google do

In an interview at the BoxDEV developer event in San Francisco today, Google executive chairman Eric Schmidt said end-to-end encryption for services like Google's is the solution to mass online government surveillance. "What do you think of the state of cyber security in the USA today?" Box CEO Aaron Levie asked Schmidt during …

1. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

"Randomly watching and surveilling what's going over the internet...

"...and invading the privacy of American citizens [and everyone else] is not OK."

... if it's not us doing it...

1. Mark 85

Re: "Randomly watching and surveilling what's going over the internet...

Oh but they don't invade privacy and surveil you... according to them, they just take the information you freely give them and process it. Er.... hmmm... conundrum.

Hey, El Reg... can we get a dictionary of Googlespeak? After the Google guy at the RSA conference pointed out that words don't mean what we think they do, we need to have them defined and maybe translate what Schmidt said.

1. Thorne
        Black Helicopters

The difference is that Google isn't going to black bag you at 3am for a waterboarding holiday in Gitmo based off what they see you doing.

Sony and HBO on the other hand..........

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

translate what Schmidt said

Easy: we use encryption so only we can see your data, so give us more. Only we can have a good rummage, which means we can charge anyone else who wants it (which is what turned the NSA problem into opportunities for revenue, so thank y'all for giving generously).

HTH

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

It isn't random, it's gathering info on everyone.

2. JP19

"That means encryption at rest and encryption in transit."

Yes all that encryption would be great if I held the keys and not you - you twat

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "That means encryption at rest and encryption in transit."

" We know that it worked because now all the people who were snooping are complaining."

ha ha ahaha ah ahahahha a hah aahha aha ahah ha ahaa ....

" We know that it worked because now all the people who were snooping are complaining."

ha ha ahaha ah ahahahha a hah aahha aha ahah ha ahaa ....

Who wrote that? The PR dept? Your chums at the NSA? Ricky Gervais? ha ha ahaha ah ahahahha a hah aahha aha ahah ha ahaa ....

You must think we were all born yesterday. Pull the other one shit for brains - it's got bells on.

2. Thorne

Re: "That means encryption at rest and encryption in transit."

The problem with everything encrypted is that nothing can be cached which means far more data needs to be transmitted.

All the NSA has achieved is slowing down the internet. If the government had an ounce of common sense tougher rules for spying would actually make things easier for everyone, NSA included. If people didn't need to worry about universal spying, they wouldn't need to install encryption on everything. If everything wasn't encrypted, the internet would run faster and the NSA wouldn't have the problems (once they met the legal requirements).

The problem is that now that they overreached, it can never go back to the way it was.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Once you become a god....

"... artificial distinction between consumers and businesses eventually goes away,"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@MyBackDoor - Re: Once you become a god....

Yeah, he should suggest his bank to tear down those firewalls and security!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @MyBackDoor - Once you become a god....

re: "People do things at home, in the office, on their mobile device, and that segregation is not needed any more."

I was going to suggest that EMVco send a handful of auditors to his office tomorrow, and I'd like the bounty check mailed to me.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This guy has

way much power and wealth than common sense. Oh, and he is greedy too!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This guy has

This guy has way much power and wealth than common sense. Oh, and he is greedy too!

It appears you're approaching my conclusion then: one of these clowns will eventually try to run for president.

5. gollux

Google AI coming to a computer near you...

We welcome Google Cyberdyne Skynet into our daily lives!

Watch out NSA, the GDDN will be on your tail.

6. cschneid

"Someone is going to come along and figure out how to build a cloud computing framework that really works for enterprises."

And that enterprise cloud computing framework will run on z Systems.

7. Naselus

"In the future, the entire world will be defined by a smartphone or tablet – Android or Apple – a very fast networking connection, and cloud computing,"

No, it won't. Neither device is remotely as useful as a desktop PC for day-to-day office tasks. When I'm working, I want a big desktop-style 24" monitor (or two, in fact). I don't want to try and administer my whole network from a 6" phone screen, or an 10" tablet; and I don't want to try and do basic office work on a device that has to pop an on-screen keyboard up over what I'm trying to type.

"Almost all the enterprise software that you use does not meet most of those criteria."

Yes, and there's reasons WHY enterprise software doesn't.

As to the insane bollocks that followed about 'segregation not being required anymore', 'enterprises consisted of firewalls and nothing else', 'artificial distinction between consumers and businesses eventually goes away' etc, it's just meaningless waffle. This borders on being a 'No computer will ever need more than 64k of RAM' moment, tbh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You forgot to mention

about all kind of regulations requiring the contrary (PCI, NERC etc.). This guy is a high-level executive and he should know that failure to comply with these regulations asks for severe penalties.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MITM your DRIOD!

You should take the time to MITM your phone. Just one of the MANY curious things......Every few minutes, your phone connects to an IP address and transmits your LAT/LONG. Whois has that IP address belonging to Google.......EVERY FEW MINUTES.

Ya spent several hundred on your trusty phone. Spend $200 on Burp Suite Pro, learn to use it and see what your phone is doing in the background. Hey, what was that connection to China??

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like