back to article Sky HD prices to tumble next month

Sky is to knock £99 off the price of its Sky HD satellite TV set-top box, reducing the price of the hardware from £249 to £150. It's hard to see the decision not motivated by the arrival of Freesat and its free-to-air HD offering, but whatever Sky's reasons, the move will see installation cost new subscribers £30 - upgraders …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps..

reducing the price, SkyHD owners might finally get ITVHD, something that freeviewHD gets, but not SkyHD, despite it being transmitted on the same damn satellites...

2. scott
    Thumb Down

Remove the £10 extra sub first

I don't know about anyone else but reducing the price of the box will still not make me but SKY HD.

I will only buy SKY HD once they remove the extra £10pm as I already pay Sky £65pm and have no intention of giving them anymore.

3. Eric
    Thumb Down

Same here even though I pay the £10 sub each month not really worth the money really in my view as soon as they get rid of the £10 extra sub for the SKY HD the better.My one runs out next month that be the first thing to go.

4. Julian
    Thumb Down

Yup. I agree 100%. The price of the box is a one-off pain soon forgotten but the £10 a month for very little extra, especially now that FreeSatHD is available for no monthly fee, is too much.

Maybe they could do what they did with Sky+ in the early days. When Sky+ first launched there was an additional monthly fee (also £10 I think) but after a while they changed the rules so that if you already subscribed to a sufficiently expensive package of channels (it was about £30 per month minimum channel subscription fees I think) then they waived the £10 Sky+ supplement and you got that for just the incremental price of the box.

- Julian

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

A box that works properly would be a good start!

Ha that's still £100 too much for the bug ridden box of cr@p they send you. Or 4th box in my case. The HD-box has been built so cheaply that it's an unreliable hunk of junk that the user then has to sort out themselves by doing the following.

1. Replace the hard disk with a much more reliable and much larger, quieter and cooler one.

2. Replace either the individual capacitors on the HD-box's PSU or replace the whole psu itself.

Once you have done these two things you'll wind up with a rather good HD box but it will still be prone to Sly's random software errors and glitches. Then to add insult to injury you still have to pay the £10 extra a month for a very limited number of true HD programmes.

Somebody please remind me why I do this......Oh yeah cos there's no competition in the market and Virgin Media are 20x worse.

Paris coz she knows how to shaft her customers too.

6. Mindless Geek

Competition at last

As soon as Humax bring out their HD PVR, I'm walking. Multi-room, Multi-channel, No ongoing cost, makes sense.

7. Mindless Geek

As soon as the HD PVR comes out

Sorry sky but as soon as Humax bring out their HD PVR I'll be walking, multi room HD TV for ZIP per month.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

nazi pr0n

Is the hitler channel really in high def!?

just what i have been waiting for "Army Group Centre" in 1080p

....mine the high-def coat, next to the shiney shiney boots of leather

This topic is closed for new posts.