back to article NBN Co to trial faster fixed wireless services

NBN Co, the entity charged with building and operating Australia's national broadband network (NBN) has announced a trial of 25-50Mbps downloads and 5-20Mbps uploads on its fixed wireless network. The trial is for wholesale speeds: retailers will have the choice of creating products at this speed, or ignoring it. The network- …

1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
    Meh

At a guess ...

So even though the press releases are flying, NBN Co itself doesn't yet know just where the pilot will take place.

Only slightly cynically, I'd say it will be in a marginal electorate critical to the Coalition winning the next election. Note that Queanbeyan and Bateman's Bay (in Eden-Monaro) are getting NBN before most of Canberra. How about Delegate as a prime location for the pilot?

2. MrMeme

It's all about the price son.

If it's $100/mth, for 100Gb then sure.

If it's $500/mth for 10Gb, then tell 'em they're dreaming.

1. Thorne

Wireless should have the same prices and downloads as the wired plans. The government didn't want to have a price discrepancy between the haves and have nots.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NBN lite

Such chaos

Such underwhelm

Wow

4. ScottK

Can't even get current wireless

Here in the bush wilderness of just outside Darwin, I can't even get the current wireless service. Pre election my area was shown as being an early fibre to the premises location. Post election, this was changed to fixed wireless.

I applied for this, but despite not being too far from the mast in Humpty Doo (yes really!) town centre I was told by the tech that he couldn't get a consistent signal. Seems that there are some trees in the way. Unless I go on a midnight rampage with a chainsaw to my neighbours blocks it seems there will be no NBN for me anytime soon.

When I contacted NBNCo to find out how I would be able to join the national broadband revolution the response was I would have to wait and see what happened in the future or possibly use satellite. Don't think I want to try using RDP over satellite so I am forced to stick with ADSL for now.

1. BlackKnight(markb)

Re: Can't even get current wireless

ah yes imagine, random trees and other uncontrollable external factors getting in the way of the alimighty saviour "WIRELESS" which will apparently solve all woes (according to some)

some people dont seem to get that the cheaper solution that doesnt actually work where its needed, is not value for money. and people like scottk get shafted because of it.

5. Trixr

Four kms from central Canberra (such as it is), I can't even get wired NBN. Maybe I should sign up for this offering instead. Since anything is an improvement on the 4 Mbps peak I get on my "ADSL2" line.

1. Ted 3

Luxury!

"4 Mbps peak"

I struggle to get 2Mbps on my ADSL2 line in the middle of Sydney, 1km or so from the nearest exchange. Lower on very rainy days (like the last 2 horrendous days).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like